It was established in 1948 when Sheikh Abdullah the then-Prime Minister of Kashmir inaugurated the Radio Kashmir Srinagar station near the Tourist Reception Centre in Srinagar. Its broadcasting station is still located in Srinagar near Abdullah Bridge. Ghulam Mohi-ud-Din was the first head of the station. Radio Kashmir Srinagar became most popular when Pushkar Bhan's "Zoon Dab" was aired for more than nineteen years from the Radio Kashmir station, and became a usual medium of entertainment for the people who used to listen the Radio Kashmir 24/7.
After 1953 when Kashmir's political power began to change, observers say that Radio Kashmir Srinagar, shortly after its establishment, came under the control of All India Radio to counter the Radio Azad Kashmir. Observers also say that both these stations were used to counter programmes aired by each other. When the Azad Radio Kashmir used to air Zarb e qaleem, it was countered by Srinagar station's Jawabi hamla.
Radio Kashmir Srinagar contributed a lot towards the traditional music of Kashmir. It became home of talented people like Ghulam Hassan Sofi. The undisputed Melody King of Kashmir who used to sing Kashmir's traditional songs which provided relief to the disturbed minds of Kashmiri people. Radio Kashmir also aired Kailash Mehra's collection which people liked most. Ghulam Nabi Dolwal was one of the noted artist who showed his talent through Radio Kashmir. Nowadays his daughter Jahan Ara Janbaz reaches the hearts of her fan because of her magical voice through Radio Kashmir. Radio Kashmir is believed to be the only medium which is broadcasting the audio of Kashmiri traditional songs. Thus keeping Kashmiri musical tradition alive and contributing towards the Kashmiri society.
Radio Kashmir's news section hold a huge responsibility whenever political crisis appear, or some other violences appeared during Kashmir conflict. Shehar Been is among top of the news program broadcast by Radio Kashmir Srinagar. However in extreme terrorism inside Kashmir the officials and newscasters of sister department of Prasar Bharti newsroom reportedly received death threats so for some time news was aired from Delhi for Radio Kashmir, it was like this "ye radio kashmir hai ab ap sunye nayi delhi se khabrein".
Radio Kashmir also serves in the holy months of Muslims by producing such programs related to particular holy months like Muharram and for Ramadan. Radio Kashmir aired in 1980's the voice of Mirza Abdul Ghani Beigh, the prominent Kashmiri Noha reciter and writer. Shia people across the valley remained in waiting for the programme of such religious Noha chanter personalities. Radio Kashmir broadcasts necessary announcements related to different sects living in Kashmir.
- "Listen Radio Kashmir".
- "Sheikh Abdullah inaugurated the radio kashmir".
- "Radio Kashmir Locaion".
- "Prominent Kashmiris: Pushkar Bhan". The Kashmir Education, Culture and Science Society. 2013. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- "Strategic Importance of Radio Kashmir in Countering Pakistan's War of Words against India". I.D.S.A. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Ye radio kashmir hai". Greater Kashmir. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Melody, meditation and melancholy: A tribute to Hasan Suif". Koshur. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Kailash Mehra's Collection".
- "Radio Kashmir's contribution towards Kashmiri music". Koausa. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Shehar Been gets the axe, duration slashed to 10 minutes". Greater Kashmir. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "Suspension of broadcast from radio kashmir station". Greater Kashmir. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Mirza Sakhi Wilayat Beigh".