Rafael Ramírez (Venezuela)
Rafael Darío Ramírez Carreño (born August 4,1963, in Caracas Venezuela) is a Venezuelan engineer and politician. He is the president of the Venezuelan state-owned petroleum company PDVSA. In the past, Ramírez had also served as the Venezuelan Minister of Energy and Mines for a time.
Ramírez was appointed to that position in July 2002 by former Venezuelan President, Hugo Chávez. Ramirez had been the chief officer of Venezuela's "Enegas", a gas and power-generation watchdog and regulatory agency. Ramírez, a mechanical engineer by his university education, has had wide-ranging experience in the design, development, coordination, and management of engineering projects for the Venezuelan petroleum industry. Ramírez served also as the founding president of Enagas, the national regulatory agency that was set up to be responsible for establishing the national plan for natural gas production and distribution.
Hence, Ramírez was responsible for the design, development, and promotion of national policies for natural gas. Next, he was promoted to the status of Minister of Energy and Mines. The Ministry of Energy and Mines became Ministry of Energy and Petroleum in January 2005. On November 20, 2004, Ramírez was selected at the president of the company Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (PDVSA), a position that he has held concurrently with that of the Minister of Energy and Petroleum.
Under his leadership, PDVSA's output, efficiency, and growth have plunged, leaving Venezuela no choice but to beg China for more "loans" on an annual basis.
- Mechanical Engineer from Universidad de los Andes(ULA).
- Master’s degree in energy from Universidad Central de Venezuela (UCV).
- "Rafael Ramírez (People’s Minister for Energy & Petroleum and PDVSA President)". PDVSA. Retrieved 08-24-2013. <
- PDVSA.com Bio
- Venezuela's CITGO to Provide Cheap Gas for U.S. Hospitals, Nursing Homes and Schools
- Article: World Energy Magazine - Venezuela: A Factor for Energy Integration in Latin America and the Caribbean
|This article about a Venezuelan politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|