Rafael dos Anjos
|Rafael dos Anjos|
October 26, 1984 |
Niterói, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||71 in (180 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Aldo "Caveirinha" Januário|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Rafael Souza dos Anjos (Portuguese pronunciation: [ʁafaˈew duz ˈɐ̃ʒus]; born October 26, 1984) is a Brazilian mixed martial artist currently competing in the lightweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Dos Anjos trains out of Evolve MMA in Brazil and Singapore and is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt under Aldo "Caveirinha" Januário. He is also well-versed in Muay Thai under the tutelage of the team at Evolve MMA under Kru Chatri Sityodtong.
As of December 15, 2014, he is #1 in official UFC lightweight rankings.
Dos Anjos stated that he was a troubled child, getting into fights in his poor hometown Niterói. He originally started training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Daniel Matheus at age of nine. According to dos Anjos, he stopped fighting on the streets when he began training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Mixed martial arts career
Ultimate Fighting Championship
For his second UFC fight, dos Anjos was next given Tyson Griffin at UFC Fight Night 18. The fight was a back and forth battle that showcased heart, skill, and technique from both fighters but ended in a unanimous decision loss for dos Anjos. The bout was awarded Fight of the Night honors.
Dos Anjos was scheduled to fight Matt Wiman on September 19, 2009 at UFC 103, but due to a knee injury suffered by Wiman, he instead faced Rob Emerson. Dos Anjos got a much-needed win by unanimous decision.
Dos Anjos faced Clay Guida on August 7, 2010 at UFC 117. Guida appeared to injure the jaw of dos Anjos in the first round with a hook and would go on to defeat dos Anjos by submission (jaw injury) after dos Anjos tapped from the pressure being applied to his jaw while Guida had arm-and-head control.
Dos Anjos next faced George Sotiropoulos on July 2, 2011 at UFC 132 after replacing an injured Evan Dunham. Dos Anjos showcased his vastly improved striking skills, knocking out Sotiropoulos cold in the first round with a right hand.
Dos Anjos faced Kamal Shalorus on May 15, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier. After dropping Shalorus with a head kick, dos Anjos submitted him via rear-naked choke in the first round.
After taking virtually no damage in the fight against Shalorus, dos Anjos quickly returned to face Anthony Njokuani on July 11, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman, replacing an injured Paul Taylor. He won the fight via unanimous decision, dominating Njokuani both in striking and grappling.
Dos Anjos was expected to face Rustam Khabilov on February 22, 2014 at UFC 170. However, the bout was scrapped in the weeks leading up to the event. Dos Anjos instead faced Khabib Nurmagomedov on April 19, 2014 at UFC on Fox 11. He lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Dos Anjos headlined UFC Fight Night 49 against Benson Henderson on August 23, 2014. He won the fight via knockout in the first round. The win also earned him his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
Dos Anjos faced Nate Diaz on December 13, 2014 at UFC on Fox 13. He won the fight by unanimous decision. He dominated the first two rounds with superior striking and vicious leg kicks with the third round being controlled by Dos Anjos on the mat.
Championships and achievements
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|30 matches||23 wins||7 losses|
|Win||23–7||Nate Diaz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: dos Santos vs. Miocic||December 13, 2014||3||5:00||Phoenix, Arizona, United States||Catchweight (160.6 lbs) bout; Diaz missed weight.|
|Win||22–7||Benson Henderson||KO (punch)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. dos Anjos||August 23, 2014||1||2:31||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||21–7||Jason High||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Khabilov||June 7, 2014||2||3:36||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Loss||20–7||Khabib Nurmagomedov||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Werdum vs. Browne||April 19, 2014||3||5:00||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Win||20–6||Donald Cerrone||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Kampmann 2||August 28, 2013||3||5:00||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Win||19–6||Evan Dunham||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Rockhold||May 18, 2013||3||5:00||Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil|
|Win||18–6||Mark Bocek||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 154||November 17, 2012||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||17–6||Anthony Njokuani||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman||July 11, 2012||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||16–6||Kamal Shalorus||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier||May 15, 2012||1||1:40||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Loss||15–6||Gleison Tibau||Decision (split)||UFC 139||November 19, 2011||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||15–5||George Sotiropoulos||KO (punch)||UFC 132||July 2, 2011||1||0:59||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||14–5||Clay Guida||Submission (jaw injury)||UFC 117||August 7, 2010||3||1:51||Oakland, California, United States|
|Win||14–4||Terry Etim||Submission (armbar)||UFC 112||April 10, 2010||2||4:30||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||13–4||Kyle Bradley||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Maynard vs. Diaz||January 11, 2010||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Win||12–4||Rob Emerson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 103||September 19, 2009||3||5:00||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Loss||11–4||Tyson Griffin||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Kampmann||April 1, 2009||3||5:00||Nashville, Tennessee, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||11–3||Jeremy Stephens||KO (punches)||UFC 91||November 15, 2008||3||0:39||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–2||Takafumi Otsuka||Decision (split)||Fury FC 6 - High Voltage||July 12, 2008||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||10–2||Takaichi Hirayama||Submission (armbar)||Pancrase - Shining 5||June 1, 2008||1||1:25||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||9–2||Gabriel Veiga||Decision (unanimous)||Fury FC 5 - Final Conflict||December 6, 2007||3||5:00||Sao Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||8–2||Danilo Cherman||Submission (kimura)||Fury FC 4 - High Voltage||August 4, 2007||2||3:38||Teresopolis, Brazil|
|Win||7–2||Mauricio Souza||Submission (rear-naked choke)||XFC - Brazil||April 29, 2007||1||6:24||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||6–2||Thiago Minu||Submission (rear-naked choke)||XFC - Brazil||April 29, 2007||1||7:28||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||5–2||Johil de Oliveira||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Juiz de Fora - Fight 4||April 7, 2007||1||2:50||Juiz de Fora, Brazil|
|Win||4–2||Mateus Trindade||Decision (unanimous)||Shooto - Brazil 11||March 24, 2007||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||3–2||Diogo Oliveira||Submission (armbar)||TFMMA - Top Fighter MMA 2||October 25, 2006||2||N/A||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Loss||2–2||Jorge Britto||Decision (split)||Arena - BH Combat||June 4, 2005||3||5:00||Brazil|
|Win||2–1||Felipe Arinelli||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Juiz de Fora - Fight 2||April 26, 2005||2||N/A||Brazil|
|Win||1–1||Joao Paulo Almeida||Decision (unanimous)||Arena - BH||October 9, 2004||3||5:00||Minas Gerais, Brazil|
|Loss||0–1||Adriano Abu||Decision (split)||Juiz de Fora - Fight 1||September 25, 2004||3||5:00||Juiz de Fora, Brazil|
- "Rafael dos Anjos' profile". Tapology.com. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Werdum vs. Browne". UFC.com. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- "Rafael dos Anjos". BJJ Heroes: the jiu jitsu encyclopedia. Retrieved December 15, 2014.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- Road to the Octagon: Junior Dos Santos vs. Stipe Miocic. Zuffa. Dec 8, 2014. Retrieved 2014-12-08.
Road to the Octagon: Junior Dos Santos vs. Stipe Miocic
- Morgan, John (2009-07-24). "Injury forces Matt Wiman out of UFC 103, Rob Emerson expected to face Rafael dos Anjos". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-07-24.
- "UFC Fight Night 20 recap". mmajunkie. January 12, 2010.
- "Etim v. dos Anjos at UFC 112". fightersonlymagazine.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "Clay Guida vs. Rafael dos Anjos Set for UFC 117 on August 7 in Oakland". mmafrenzy.com. 2010-05-10.
- "UFC 117 main card recap, miracle submission saves champ Anderson Silva". mmajunkie.com. August 7, 2010.
- "George Sotiropoulos to fight Brazilian star Rafael dos Anjos". heraldsun.com.au. 3 May 2011.
- "UFC 139 confirmed for San Jose, adds Rafael dos Anjos vs. Gleison Tibau". mmajunkie.com. 16 August 2011.
- "UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier". ufc.com. March 12, 2012.
- Martin, Damon (May 22, 2012). "Paul Taylor Out of UFC on Fuel 4". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved May 22, 2012.
- "Mark Bocek vs. Rafael dos Anjos added to UFC 154 in Montreal". mmajunkie.com. August 23, 2012.
- "Evan Dunham vs. Rafael dos Anjos added to UFC on FX 8". mmajunkie.com. February 26, 2013.
- Staff (June 5, 2013). "Donald Cerrone vs. Rafael dos Anjos co-headlines UFC on FOX Sports 1 2 in Indy". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- Jesse Holland (December 3, 2013). "Rafael dos Anjos vs. Rustam Khabilov in the works for UFC 170 on Feb. 22 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- Matt Erickson (February 5, 2014). "Khabilov-dos Anjos off UFC 170; dos Anjos meets Nurmagomedov at UFC on FOX 11". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- Matt Erickson (2014-04-30). "Rafael dos Anjos vs. Jason High set for UFC Fight Night 42 in Albuquerque". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- Ryan Grab (2014-06-17). "UFC in Tulsa main event announced". tulsaworld.com. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Staff (2014-08-24). "UFC Fight Night 49 bonuses: Four fighters get $50,000 'Performance' awards". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-08-24.
- Dave Doyle (2014-09-23). "Nate Diaz ends holdout, meets Rafael dos Anjos at UFC on Fox 13". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-09-23.
- Staff (2015-01-03). "Champ Anthony Pettis vs. Rafael dos Anjos headlines UFC 185 in Dallas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- "Redemption is the Name of The Game for dos Anjos". UFC.com. 2009-03-17. Retrieved 2009-04-04.