Rafael dos Anjos
|Rafael dos Anjos|
October 26, 1984 |
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||71.0 in (180 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Rank||black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Rafael Souza dos Anjos (Portuguese pronunciation: [ʁafaˈew duz ˈɐ̃ʒus]; born October 26, 1984) is a Brazilian mixed martial artist currently competing in the lightweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Dos Anjos trains out of Evolve MMA in Brazil and Singapore and is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt under Aldo "Caveirinha" Januario de Olivera. He is also well-versed in Muay Thai under the tutelage of the team at Evolve MMA under Kru Chatri Sityodtong.
As of March 10, 2014, he is #5 in official UFC lightweight rankings.
Mixed martial arts career
Ultimate Fighting Championship
For his second UFC fight, dos Anjos was next given Tyson Griffin at UFC Fight Night 18. The fight was a back and forth battle that showcased heart, skill, and technique from both fighters but ended in a unanimous decision loss for dos Anjos. The bout was awarded Fight of the Night honors.
Dos Anjos was scheduled to fight Matt Wiman on September 19, 2009 at UFC 103, but due to a knee injury suffered by Wiman, he instead faced Rob Emerson. Dos Anjos got a much-needed win by unanimous decision.
Dos Anjos faced Clay Guida on August 7, 2010 at UFC 117. Guida appeared to injure the jaw of dos Anjos in the first round with a hook and would go on to defeat dos Anjos by submission (jaw injury) after dos Anjos tapped from the pressure being applied to his jaw while Guida had arm-and-head control.
Dos Anjos next faced George Sotiropoulos on July 2, 2011 at UFC 132 after replacing an injured Evan Dunham. Dos Anjos showcased his vastly improved striking skills, knocking out Sotiropoulos cold in the first round with a right hand.
Dos Anjos faced Kamal Shalorus on May 15, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier. After dropping Shalorus with a head kick, dos Anjos submitted him via rear-naked choke in the first round.
After taking virtually no damage in the fight against Shalorus, dos Anjos quickly returned to face Anthony Njokuani on July 11, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman, replacing an injured Paul Taylor. He won the fight via unanimous decision, dominating Njokuani both in striking and grappling.
Dos Anjos was expected to face Rustam Khabilov on February 22, 2014 at UFC 170. However, the bout was scrapped in the weeks leading up to the event. Dos Anjos is now expected to face Khabib Nurmagomedov on April 19, 2014 at UFC on Fox 11.
Rafael and his wife Cristiane have one son and a stepson. Rafael, who was born two weeks after his fight at UFC 91.  and Gustavo, his stepson who is 12 years-old and following his footsteps in training.
Championships and achievements
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|26 matches||20 wins||6 losses|
|Khabib Nurmagomedov||UFC on Fox: Werdum vs. Browne||April 19, 2014||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Win||20–6||Donald Cerrone||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Kampmann 2||August 28, 2013||3||5:00||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Win||19–6||Evan Dunham||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Rockhold||May 18, 2013||3||5:00||Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil|
|Win||18–6||Mark Bocek||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 154||November 17, 2012||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||17–6||Anthony Njokuani||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman||July 11, 2012||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||16–6||Kamal Shalorus||Submission (rear naked choke)||UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier||May 15, 2012||1||1:40||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Loss||15–6||Gleison Tibau||Decision (split)||UFC 139||November 19, 2011||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||15–5||George Sotiropoulos||KO (punch)||UFC 132||July 2, 2011||1||0:59||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||14–5||Clay Guida||Submission (jaw injury)||UFC 117||August 7, 2010||3||1:51||Oakland, California, United States|
|Win||14–4||Terry Etim||Submission (armbar)||UFC 112||April 10, 2010||2||4:30||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||Submission of the Night|
|Win||13–4||Kyle Bradley||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Maynard vs. Diaz||January 11, 2010||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Win||12–4||Rob Emerson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 103||September 19, 2009||3||5:00||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Loss||11–4||Tyson Griffin||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Kampmann||April 1, 2009||3||5:00||Nashville, Tennessee, United States||Fight of the Night|
|Loss||11–3||Jeremy Stephens||KO (punches)||UFC 91||November 15, 2008||3||0:39||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–2||Takafumi Otsuka||Decision (split)||Fury FC 6 - High Voltage||July 12, 2008||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||10–2||Takaichi Hirayama||Submission (armbar)||Pancrase - Shining 5||June 1, 2008||1||1:25||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||9–2||Gabriel Veiga||Decision (unanimous)||Fury FC 5 - Final Conflict||December 6, 2007||3||5:00||Sao Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||8–2||Danilo Cherman||Submission (kimura)||Fury FC 4 - High Voltage||August 4, 2007||2||3:38||Teresopolis, Brazil|
|Win||7–2||Mauricio Souza||Submission (rear naked choke)||XFC - Brazil||April 29, 2007||1||6:24||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||6–2||Thiago Minu||Submission (rear naked choke)||XFC - Brazil||April 29, 2007||1||7:28||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||5–2||Johil de Oliveira||Submission (rear naked choke)||Juiz de Fora - Fight 4||April 7, 2007||1||2:50||Juiz de Fora, Brazil|
|Win||4–2||Mateus Trindade||Decision (unanimous)||Shooto - Brazil 11||March 24, 2007||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||3–2||Diogo Oliveira||Submission (armbar)||TFMMA - Top Fighter MMA 2||October 25, 2006||2||N/A||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Loss||2–2||Jorge Britto||Decision (split)||Arena - BH Combat||June 4, 2005||3||5:00||Brazil|
|Win||2–1||Felipe Arinelli||TKO (cut)||Juiz de Fora - Fight 2||April 26, 2005||2||N/A||Brazil|
|Win||1–1||Joao Paulo||Decision||Arena - BH||October 9, 2004||N/A||N/A||Minas Gerais, Brazil|
|Loss||0–1||Adriano Abu||Decision (split)||Juiz de Fora - Fight 1||September 25, 2004||3||5:00||Juiz de Fora, Brazil|
- "Rafael dos Anjos' profile". Tapology.com. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- Morgan, John (2009-07-24). "Injury forces Matt Wiman out of UFC 103, Rob Emerson expected to face Rafael dos Anjos". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-07-24.
- "UFC Fight Night 20 recap". mmajunkie. January 12, 2010.
- "Etim v. dos Anjos at UFC 112". fightersonlymagazine.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "Clay Guida vs. Rafael dos Anjos Set for UFC 117 on August 7 in Oakland". mmafrenzy.com. 2010-05-10.
- "UFC 117 main card recap, miracle submission saves champ Anderson Silva". mmajunkie.com. August 7, 2010.
- "George Sotiropoulos to fight Brazilian star Rafael dos Anjos". heraldsun.com.au. 3 May 2011.
- "UFC 139 confirmed for San Jose, adds Rafael dos Anjos vs. Gleison Tibau". mmajunkie.com. 16 August 2011.
- "UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier". ufc.com. March 12, 2012.
- Martin, Damon (May 22, 2012). "Paul Taylor Out of UFC on Fuel 4". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved May 22, 2012.
- "Mark Bocek vs. Rafael dos Anjos added to UFC 154 in Montreal". mmajunkie.com. August 23, 2012.
- "Evan Dunham vs. Rafael dos Anjos added to UFC on FX 8". mmajunkie.com. February 26, 2013.
- Staff (June 5, 2013). "Donald Cerrone vs. Rafael dos Anjos co-headlines UFC on FOX Sports 1 2 in Indy". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- Jesse Holland (December 3, 2013). "Rafael dos Anjos vs. Rustam Khabilov in the works for UFC 170 on Feb. 22 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- Matt Erickson (February 5, 2014). "Khabilov-dos Anjos off UFC 170; dos Anjos meets Nurmagomedov at UFC on FOX 11". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- "Redemption is the Name of The Game for dos Anjos". UFC.com. 2009-03-17. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- "Rafael dos Anjos Undergoes Surgery Following UFC 117 Bout With Clay Guida". BLOODYELBOW.com. 2010-08-11. Retrieved 2010-08-11.