Raffaëla during a promotion tour
|Birth name||Raffaëla Paton|
June 1, 1983 |
|Genres||Pop, R&B, Dance|
|Website||Idol Raffaëla (Dutch)
Raffaëla music (Dutch)
Raffaëla Paton (born June 1, 1983 in Amsterdam) is a Dutch singer of Surinamese descent and the winner of the 2006 Dutch talent show Idols. Raffaëla recently participated in the Netherlands national selection for the Eurovision Song Contest 2012 in Baku, Azerbaijan with her entry Chocolatte.
Raffaëla moved to Assen when she was a little girl. Her mother was a famous singer in Suriname. Raffaëla's aunt is Ruth Jacott, also a famous Dutch singer who represented the Netherlands in the Eurovision Song Contest of 1993. Before she participated in Idols, she worked as a hostess in a restaurant in Emmen.
March 11, 2006 was a big day for Raffaëla; The grand finale of "Idol 2006", the Dutch adaption of the hit reality TV show Pop Idol. Raffaëla won Idols with 58% of the total votes, beating favourite Floortje Smit. After the show, RTL 4, the broadcaster of Idols, reported that Floortje was winning the contest, until Raffaëla sung "Right Here, Right Now (My Heart Belongs to You)", which was going to be the debut single of the winner of Idols. The song is a cover of Agnes Carlsson, the Swedish Pop Idol.
On April 21, 2006, Raffaëlla's debut album Raffaëla was released. The album contains 12 songs she sung during her Idols career and two new songs about pregnancy. The album debuted at #1 in the Dutch Album Top 100.
On August 24, 2006, Raffaëla delivered her first daughter, named Beautiful Hope.
Performances on Idols III
- Audition: India.Arie - Beautiful Surprise
- Theater (trio rounds): Patti LaBelle - Lady Marmalade (trio)
- Theater (duo rounds): Eternal & Bebe Winans - I Wanna Be the Only One
- Theater (solo rounds): Alicia Keys – If I Ain't Got You
- Workshops: The Trammps - Disco Inferno
- 1st Liveshow: Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night)
- 2nd Liveshow: Ilse DeLange - I'm Not So Tough
- 3rd Liveshow: Mary Wells - My Guy
- 4th Liveshow: Alannah Myles - Black Velvet
- 5th Liveshow: Blu Cantrell - Hit 'em Up Style
- 6th Liveshow: L.T.D. - Back in Love Again
- 7th Liveshow:
- 8th Liveshow:
- 9th Liveshow:
- 10th Liveshow:
After a time off to care for her daughter, Raffaëla reappeared as one-third of girlgroup Monroe. Their single "The Real Thing" peaked at #40 on the Dutch Singles Chart, and then dropped again.
After this, Raffaëla decided to prove herself again in the TV smash The Voice of Holland, where she reached the liveshows and became part of the final 24 contestants. She was mentored by Jeroen van der Boom.
In The Voice of Holland
Raffaëla Paton also auditioned for the inaugural season 1 of the Dutch reality television show The Voice of Holland. In day 3 of the vblind auditions, she sang "Mercy from Duffy with three of the four chairs turning (Jeroen van der Boom, Nick & Simon and Roel van Velzen and she picked to be on Team Jeroen.
In the battle round, Jeroen faced her with Anne Schellekens both singing "Beautiful Liar" and passed to the live shows where she sang "Bad Romance" and was saved by the public vote. In live show 6 she sang "The Way You Make Me Feel" but was eliminated finishing 13th to 16th overall.
Nationaal Songfestival 2012
She lost the duel against Joan Franka with her song "You And Me" who then advanced to the final round and won the right to represent the country. Franka and her have known each other before as they have both participated on The Voice of Holland.
|2006||Raffaëla||Dutch Mega Album Top 100||1|
|NL Top 40||NL Singles 100|
|2006||"Right Here Right Now"||1||1||Raffaëla|
|"Mijn houten hart"
(with Paul de Leeuw)
- NVPI, the Dutch certificator, certified the song gold three days after the finale of Idols, which is a record in the history of the Netherlands, because never ever has a song been certified gold after three days. In the Netherlands this means the song/single has been downloaded/bought over 40,000 times. Raffaëla was given the price while she was on a popular talkshow called Jensen!, by Eric van Tijn, one of the judges during Idols.
- A week after the final, Sony reported that the single had sold over 80,000 copies, certifyïng the single platinum after a week, another record Raffaëla has achieved in the Netherlands.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Raffaëla Paton.|
Season 3 (2006)