Raffaele Marchetti (13 December 1975) is an Italian political scientist and editorialist.
He is assistant professor at LUISS Guido Carli of Rome, where he teaches International Relations in the Department of Political Sciences and in the School of Government. In LUISS he also holds a Jean Monnet Module on European Union’s Engagement with Civil Society (2012-2015) and coordinates the preparatory course for the diplomatic concours.
He is currently completing a monography on The Other Side of Global Politics: Goals, Strategies, and Impact of Civil Society Mobilizations  and is working on a longer term project entitled Constructing Global Legitimacy. The Competition for World Order.
After having read Philosophy at the Sapienza University of Rome, he took a PhD in Government at the London School of Economics and Political Science. Later he had two post-docs as Jean Monnet Fellow at the European University Institute and as assegnista at LUISS Guido Carli.
He was scientific coordinator of the project SHUR. Human Rights in Conflicts: The Role of Civil Society funded by the European Commission within the 6thFP. He was fellow at the Italian National Research Council, research fellow within the Network of Excellence GARNET. Global Governance, Regionalisation & Regulation: The Role of the EU and in the project DEMOS. Democracy in Europe and the Mobilization of Society both funded by the European Commission, and contractor for the European Union Institute for Security Studies-EUISS of Paris and the Istituto San Pio V of Rome.
In 2010 he was rapporteur for the European Commission (DG Research) on Civil Society and Global Governance. He is involved in the LUISS PhD programmes: the PhD in Political Theory and Political Science, and the Joint Doctorate Programme Globalization, Europe, and Multilateralism-GEM.
- 2013. La politica della globalizzazione, Milan: Mondadori
- 2010. Manuale di politica internazionale, Milan: Egea-Università Bocconi Editore-UBE (co-authors: F.Mazzei and F.Petito)
- 2010. Democrazia globale: Principi, istituzioni e lotte per la nuova inclusione politica, Milan: Vita & Pensiero
- 2008. Global Democracy: For and Against. Ethical Theory, Institutional Design, and Social Struggles, London-New York: Routledge (2009, pb edition).
- 2013. Contemporary Political Agency: Theory and Practice, London: Routledge (co-editor: B.Maiguashca)
- 2011. Global Democracy: Normative and Empirical Perspectives, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (co-editors: D.Archibugi and M.Koenig-Archibugi)
- 2011. Conflict Society and Peacebuilding, Delhi: Routledge (co-editor: N.Tocci)
- 2011. Civil Society, Conflicts, and the Politicization of Human Rights, Tokyo: United Nations University Press (co-editor: N.Tocci)
- 2010. European Union and Global Democracy, Zagreb: CPI (co-editor D. Vidović)
Key articles and book chapters
- 2013. Global Migratory Policies: Neither Closed nor Open Borders, in J. Satvinder (ed.) The Ashgate Research Companion to Migration Law, Theory & Policy, Ashgate: London, 581-97.
- 2012. Global Social Movement Networks of Civil Society and the Politics of Change, in P.Utting, M.Pianta, and A.Ellersiek (eds.) Justice Activism and Policy Reform in Europe: Understanding When Change Happens, London: Routledge, 93-111 (with M. Pianta).
- 2011. Transnational Activism and the Global Justice Movement, in G.Delanty and S.Turner (eds.) Handbook of Contemporary Social and Political Theory, London: Routledge, 428-38 (with D. della Porta).
- 2011. The Role of Civil Society in Global Governance, in A.Vasconcelos (ed.) Global Governance. Building on the Civil Society Agenda, Paris: The European Union Institute for Security Studies-EUISS, 15-30.
- 2011. Redefining EU Engagement with Conflict Society, in R.Marchetti and N.Tocci (eds.) Civil Society, Ethnic Conflicts, and the Politicization of Human Rights, Tokyo: United Nations University Press, 181-203 (with N. Tocci).
- 2011. Conflict Society and Human Rights: An Analytical Framework, in R.Marchetti and N.Tocci (eds.) Civil Society, Ethnic Conflicts, and the Politicization of Human Rights, Tokyo: United Nations University Press, 47-72 (with N. Tocci).
- 2011. Models of Global Democracy: In Defence of Cosmo-Federalism, in D.Archibugi, M.Koenig-Archibugi, and R. Marchetti (eds.) Global Democracy: Normative and Empirical Perspectives, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 22-46.
- 2010. I principi della politica estera dell’Unione Europea: una rassegna normativa, in E.Pföstl (ed.) Rapporti tra Unione Europea e organizzazioni internazionali, Rome: Ed. Apes, 17-46.
- 2010. Global Democracy, in R.A.Danemark (ed.) The International Studies Compendium Project-Section on International Ethics, Oxford: Blackwell, Vol. V: 3007-3023.
- 2010. Fighting Transnational Exclusion: From Cosmopolitanism to Global Democracy, New Political Science, 3, 1: 103-110.
- 2009. Mapping Alternative Models of Global Politics, in International Studies Review, 11, 1: 133-56.
- 2009. Global Citizenship: The Case of Migrants and Residents, Refugee Watch. A South Asian Journal on Forced Migration, 34: 56-68.
- 2009. Democratic Ethics and United Nations Reform, in A.Franceschet (ed.) The Ethics of Global Governance, Boulder: Lynne Rienner, 51-66 (with D. Archibugi).
- 2009. Crossing Borders. Transnational Activism in European Social Movements, in D.della Porta (ed.) Democracy in Movement. Conceptions and practices of democracy in contemporary social movements, London: Palgrave, 234-61 (with M.Pianta and D.Zola)
- 2009. Conflict Society: Understanding the Role of Civil Society in Conflict, Global Change, Peace and Security, 21: 2: 201-17 (with N.Tocci).
- 2009. Civilizationism and the Political Debate on Globalization, in M.S.Michális & F.Petito (eds) Civilizational Dialogue and World Order. The Other Politics of Cultures, Religions and Civilizations in International Relations, London: Palgrave, 93-110.
- 2008. Toward a World Migratory Regime, Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies, 15, 2: 471-487.
- 2008. A Matter of Drawing Boundaries: Global Democracy and International Exclusion, Review of International Studies, 34, 2: 207-224.
- 2007. The Global Justice Movements: The Transnational Dimension, in D.della Porta (ed.), The Global Justice Movement: A Cross-national and Transnational Perspective, Boulder, CO: Paradigm, 29-51 (with M.Pianta).
- 2006. Global Governance or World Federalism? A Cosmopolitan Dispute on Institutional Models, Global Society. Journal of Interdisciplinary International Relations, 20, 3: 287-305.
- 2005. Justice and the Problem of International Exclusion, Constellations, An International Journal of Critical and Democratic Theory, 12: 4: 487-501.
- World Public Forum"Raffaele Marchetti, Professor of International Relations, LUISS University, Italy", 29 November 2012
- http://docenti.luiss.it/rmarchetti/ Raffaele Marchetti at LUISS
- http://wpfdc.org/blog/our-columnists/raffaele-marchetti Raffaele Marchetti at World Public Forum
- Vasconcelos, Álvaro Global Governance. Building on the Civil Society Agenda. Paris: The European Union Institute for Security Studies-EUISS, 2011; pg. 91.