Raft of Dead Monkeys
Raft of Dead Monkeys was a rock band from Seattle, WA, USA, known for their controversy within the Christian punk scene. Described as a hypothetical band mocking rock culture, their early stage shows consisted of vulgar lyrics, male strippers and bloody nurses. They broke up in late 2001.
The majority of the band members were openly Christian and previously played in bands on Tooth & Nail Records, a label that featured primarily Christian rock bands. The band itself was not affiliated with Tooth & Nail, but the fan base of affiliated bands (Roadside Monument, Ninety Pound Wuss) was largely Christian, and was left confused when Raft released their first album which contained explicit lyrics.
In 2001 Raft was invited to play Tomfest, a Christian underground music festival, and received mixed reactions when singer Jeff Suffering fingered the crowd during their song Two Year Lease, which features the lyrics, "you're not the only whore in town, you're just the best fuck around." Tomfest founder Mikee Bridges later issued an apology to those who were offended by the performance.
In an interview, Suffering explained the band's concept with the following:
- It was art and we were making some statements about our culture by mirroring it, copying it and throwing it back on people’s faces to like say, “Hey, this is what people adhere to and this is it.” We thought it was funny and humorous and a lot of people didn’t get the joke and didn’t get that we were characters that we had created when we performed sort of to break the Rock ‘n’ Roll idea/lifestyle, although we don’t really have that idea or lifestyle, at least I don’t. 
- Jeff Suffering - Bass, Vocals - (Suffering and the Hideous Thieves, Ninety Pound Wuss)
- Doug Lorig - Guitar, Vocals - (Roadside Monument, Black Eagle, Patrol)
- John Spalding - Guitar - (Ninety Pound Wuss, Suffering and the Hideous Thieves)
- Davey - Drums
- Matt Johnson - Drums - (Roadside Monument, Blenderhead, Don't Know, Supine to Sit, Rocky Votolato, Jeremy Enigk)
- Jonathan Ford - (Unwed Sailor, Roadside Monument, Decahedron, Pedro the Lion, Mr. Bishop's Fist, Ester Drang, Scientific, Native Lights)
- Damien Jurado - (Coolidge)
- James Parks
- Brian Wall
- Thoroughlev (2001 Burnout Records)
- DBM EP (1999 Make Believe Recordings)
- Joey the Pigfucker (unreleased) 
- Various Artists: Is It... Dead? (2001 Sub Pop)
- Official Website
- What a great name for a band! Seattle Times interview with Matt Johnson.
- SHZine interview Raft of Dead Monkeys June 2000 interview with Jeff Suffering
- Troy McClure Interviews Raft of Dead Monkeys February 2000 interview with Jeff Suffering and John Spalding.
- Bandoppler interview with Matt Johnson
- Decapolis interview with Jeff Suffering