|Time zone||Sri Lanka Standard Time Zone (UTC+5:30)|
Ragama is easily accessible from the Colombo - Negombo main road and is about 5 km (3.1 mi) from Mahabage junction.It belongs to the Ja-Ela Pradeshiya Sabha. This is a well known town due to one major Railway junction where the main line and the Puttalam line meet. The town is also known for the Sri Lanka Army's rehabilitation centre Rana Viru Sevana. Colombo North General Hospital is also located at Ragama and is famous as having one of the most advanced Diagnostic Departments in Sri Lanka. It also boasts the country's only Liver Transplant Unit. Sri Lanka's second motorway flyover is built over the main railway line right at the town centre.
Currently Ragama is home to several important government establishments in the country. They are
- North Colombo (Teaching) General Hospital - This is considered as the second largest hospital in Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka Navy (Gemunu)Brigade
- Sri Lanka Navy (Mahasen) Brigade
- College of Naval Architecture (attached to Sri Lanka Navy)
- Faculty of Medicine - University of Kelaniya (attached to North Colombo General Hospital)
- Rehabilitation Center for Disabled War Heroes (Ranaviru Sevena)
- Mahara Prison (Second largest prison in the country)
- Governments Ammunition storage
- Rehabilitation Hospital - Ragama
- Chest Hospital - Welisara (Ragama suburb)
- St.Lazarus R C Church and College (Ragama - Kurukulawa)
- Hometown and Birthplace of great artist Jackson Anthony.
- Our Lady of Lanka National Basilica (Catholic)