Raghupati Raghava Raja Ram
|An article related to|
Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram (sometimes called Ram Dhun) is a popular bhajan (Hindu devotional song) that was a favourite of Mahatma Gandhi. The version that is most common was put to music by Vishnu Digambar Paluskar, and was sung by Gandhi and his followers as they walked during the 241 mile Salt March to Dandi.
- रघुपति राघव राजाराम,
- पतित पावन सीताराम
- सीताराम सीताराम,
- भज प्यारे तू सीताराम
- ईश्वर अल्लाह तेरो नाम,
- सब को सन्मति दे भगवान
- raghupati rāghav rājārām,
- patit pāvan sītārām
- sītārām, sītārām,
- bhaj pyāre tū sītārām
- īśvar allāh tero nām,
- sab ko sanmati de bhagavān
- Chief of the house of Raghu, Lord Rama,
- Uplifters of those who have fallen, Sita and Rama,
- Sita and Rama, Sita and Rama,
- O beloved, praise Sita and Rama,
- God and Allah are your names,
- Bless everyone with real wisdom, Lord.
- Raghupati raghava rajaram
- Patita paavana sitaram
- Sundara vigraha meghashyam
- Ganga tulasi salagram
- Bhadra girishwara sitaram
- Bhakata janapriya sitaram
- Janaki ramana sitaram
- Jaya jaya raghava sitaram
Sometimes these words are added:
जय रघुनंदन जय सिया राम जानकी वल्लभ सीताराम
- Jai Raghunandan, Jai Siyaa Raam,
- Jaanakii Vallabh Siita Raam.
In popular culture
Elements of the chant were included in the song "uTho-uTho he bharat" in the movie Bharat Milap (1942), the song "de dii hamen aazaadii binaa khaDg binaa Dhaal" in the movie Jagriti (1954), Purab Aur Paschim (1970) and in the film Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), in the Kannada film Gandhi Nagara (1998), and in the movie Gandhi (1982). It was also the title of a Tamil movie produced in 1977. Raghupati Raghava Raja Ram has been recorded by several well-known singers. Pete Seeger included it on his album "Strangers and Cousins" (1964). The song is an important motif in the 2006 Bollywood film, Lage Raho Munna Bhai, and is featured in the movie Gandhi, My Father. The game Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories featured the song on one of the radio stations Radio Del Mundo The 2013 film Satyagraha also has a song based on 'Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram'. Rakesh Roshan's superhero film Krrish 3 contains a song named 'Raghupati Raghav'. The arrangement by Jyotishka Dasgupta is an official piece of Grade 2 Electronic Keyboard from Trinity College London, where it is simply named Bhajan. Sheila Chandra recorded a version titled Bhajan on her 1992 album Weaving My Ancestors' Voices.
- Dalton, Dennis (1993). Mahatma Gandhi: Nonviolent Power in Action. Columbia University Press. p. 109. ISBN 0-231-12237-3.
- Sinha, Manjari (2008-08-08). "Tuned to excellence". The Hindu. Retrieved 2009-04-27.
- "Dandi: Salt March". Lal, Vinay. University of California, Los Angeles. Retrieved 2007-11-16.
- The divine couple of Hinduism
- Meaning that the supreme can be called by many names
- Dalton, Dennis (1993). Mahatma Gandhi: Nonviolent Power in Action. Columbia University Press. ISBN 0-231-12237-3.