|Occupation||Film director, producer, screenwriter|
|Years active||2003- present|
Rahul Dholakia is an Indian film director-producer-screenwriter, most known for his National Film Award winning film, Parzania (Heaven & Hell On Earth) (2005), prior to which he also made documentaries like Teenage Parents and New York Taxi Drivers.
Early life and education
Born in Mumbai, to Raksha and Parry Dholakia, an advertising professional, Rahul also has an elder sister Moha. After completing his schooling from Campion School, Mumbai and Jamnabai Narsee School in Mumbai, he went on to do his Bachelors in Science from St. Xavier's College, Mumbai.
While still in college he started working in his father’s advertising agency, Mora Ava. He also worked with producer Babla Sen, for project for Channel 4, London, as production assistant and 10 documentaries later became a producer himself. Later, he started working with Everest Advertising in Mumbai as an assistant, growing up to become a producer.
Thereafter, he moved to New York in 1990, where, he did his Masters in filmmaking from the New York Institute of Technology, and has been in India and Corona, California, United States ever since. After making a couple of documentaries and commercials, and even running TV station, called 'TV Asia' for a while, he made his feature film debut with the Hindi-English bilingual, Kehtaa Hai Dil Baar Baar (2002), starring Paresh Rawal and Jimmy Shergill, it was also the first Hindi film shot entirely in America. His next film based on a real life story of 10-year-old Parsi boy, Azhar Mody, known as Parzaan, who disappeared during the February 28, 2002 Gulbarg Society massacre, which took place during communal riots in Gujarat in 2002, Parzania won him the National Film Award for 2006.
- Kehtaa Hai Dil Baar Baar (2002) (director)
- Parzania (2005)(writer, director, producer)
- Mumbai Cutting (2008) (segment "Bombay Mumbai Same Shit") (writer & director)
- Lamhaa (2009) (writer & director)
- Raees (2015) (writer & Director)
- And the award goes to... The Times of India, 9 August 2007
- In India, Showing Sectarian Pain to Eyes That Are Closed The New York Times, February 20, 2007.
- "About IMI - Faculty". Institute of Moving Images. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- director-turned-distributor Rahul Dholakia The Indian Express.
- Parzania director: 2006's National award winner Rediff.com, 30 August 2006.
- Interview: Rahul Dholakia, Director bollyvista.
- 'Lamha' Interview entertainment.in.msn.com.
- Kazmi, Nikhat (15 July 2010). "Lamhaa: Movie Review". Times of India.
- Rahul Dholakia The New York Times.
- Awards Internet Movie Database.
- Official website
- Rahul Dholakia at the Internet Movie Database
- Rahul Dholakia at Allmovie.
- Interview: Rahul Dholakia, Director