Rahway (NJT station)
Rahway station in August 2014.
|Address||Milton Avenue, between Irving & Broad Streets
Rahway, New Jersey
|Connections||NJT Bus: 48|
|Platforms||1 side platform, 1 island platform|
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Passengers (2012)||3,236 (average weekday)|
Rahway Station is a New Jersey Transit train station in Rahway, New Jersey with service on the Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast lines. It is in downtown Rahway on an embankment completed in 1913, with bridges over Milton Avenue and Irving and Cherry Streets. The present station was built by New Jersey Transit at a cost of $16 million and opened in early 1999. It replaced a passenger station built by the Penn Central and the New Jersey Department of Transportation in 1974, which was an Amtrak stop from 1971 to 1975. The City of Rahway completed a $600,000 public plaza in front of the station in 2001.
Rahway is just northeast of the Perth Amboy Junction, where the Northeast Corridor and the North Jersey Coast lines split at Union Tower, so Rahway is one of several transfer stations on NJ Transit. The station has an island platform for the Trenton and Long Branch-bound side of the station. The New York City-bound platform is a side platform more typical of the Northeast Corridor. Service bound for Long Branch and other points on the North Jersey Coast Line use one side of this island platform just east of the junction, as these trains would not be able to switch off of the main track in time to switch onto tracks at the Junction towards the Jersey Shore.
Rahway is the home to the global research and development headquarters of Merck Research Laboratories; many employees commute to work using this station. North Rahway station was at Scott Avenue, near the Merck facility, but that station was closed and demolished in 1993.
- "Northeast Corridor Timetables". Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. December 27, 2012. Archived from the original on December 27, 2012. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- May 1, 1971 Amtrak Timetabiles
- May 15, 1975 (Second Edition) Amtrak Timetabiles
Media related to Rahway (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons
- NJT rail station information page for Rahway
- DepartureVision real time train information for Rahway
- Irving Street entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Station House from Google Maps Street View
- Milton Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View