||This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008)|
Rao Bahadur (also Raobahadur, Rai Bahadur or Roy Bahadur (in Bengal)), abbreviated R.B., was a title of honour issued during the era of British rule in India to individuals who had performed great service to the nation. It was awarded to Indians, both Hindu and Christian. It is the equivalent of an OBE. The title was accompanied by a medal called a Title Badge. Translated, "Rao" means "prince", and "Bahadur" means "brave" or "most honourable."
Rao Sahib (also Roy Sahib and Rai Sahib) abbreviated R.S., was a title of honour issued during the era of British rule in India to individuals that performed great service in visionary leadership to the nation. The title was accompanied by a medal. Translated, "sahib" means "leader".
Diwan Bahadur was another title awarded by Britain to Indians. Persons with the Rao Bahadur title could be elevated to Diwan Bahadur status.
Examples of people awarded the Rai/Rao/Sardar Bahadur title 
- Rai Bahadur Chaudhary Dewan Chand Saini, MBE, Gurdaspur, Punjab
- Rai Bahadur Saligram, Pipal Mandi, Agra
- Sardar Bahadur Jagat Singh, Lyallpur, pre-partition Punjab
- Jagan Nath Bhandari, Rai Bahadur, Raj Ratan, Dewan of Idar State
- Ray Bahadur Ranadaprasad Saha, philanthropist
- Rao Bahadur C. Jambulingam Mudaliar, Indian politician and freedom-fighter.
- Rai Bahadur Jagmal Raja Chauhan, industrialist and noted railway contractor
- Rai Bahadur Jairam Valji Chauhan, industrialist
- Rai Bahadur Gujar Mal Modi, founder of Modi Group
- Rai Bahadur Mohan Singh Oberoi, founder of Oberoi Group
- Rai Bahadur Bakshi Badri Nath Chhibber
- Rai Bahadur Tirath Singh Bakshi
- Rai Bahadur Amba Prasad, philanthropist of Delhi
- Rai Bahadur S. A. Saminatha Iyer, Indian independence activist.
- Rao Bahadur A. Veeriya Vandayar, philanthropist.
- Rao Bahadur P. I. Chinnaswamy Pillai, First Municipal Chairman - Palakkad.
- Dharmarathnakara Rai Bahadur Arcot Narrainsawmy Mudaliar, philanthropist.
- Rao Bahadur Ranchhodlal Chhotalal - textile mill pioneer and philanthropist.
Diwan Bahadur 
- D. D. Thacker, Diwan Bahadur, of Jharia
- Diwan Bahadur Ketoli Chengappa, Chief Commissioner of Kodagu (Coorg)
- Diwan Bahadur C. S. Ratnasabhapathy Mudaliar CBE was an Indian industrialist and politician.
Rai Saheb/ Rao Sahib 
- Rai Saheb Rekhchand Mohota, industrialist
- Rao Sahib Ramnath Goenka, newspaper editor and businessman.
See also 
- RoyalArk Glossary - India
- Bhandari Jagan Nath Rai Bhadur, Raj Ratan, Dewan of Idar State, The Times of India directory and year book including who's who, Volume 32, 1945
- Proceedings of the Indian Science Congress, Volume 37
- The Rai Saheb Rekhchand Mohota Spinning & Weaving Mills