Rail Infrastructure Corporation
In January 2001 Rail Infrastructure Corporation was formed taking over responsibility for ownership and maintenance of the infrastructure from Rail Access Corporation and Railway Services Authority.
In January 2004, after much criticism and public perceptions of blame shifting between units for operational failings, RailCorp was formed taking over the passenger train operations from the State Rail Authority and responsibility for maintaining the greater metropolitan network from Rail Infrastructure Corporation.
In September 2004 Rail Infrastructure Corporation leased the interstate and Hunter Valley lines to the Government of Australia owned Australian Rail Track Corporation for 60 years. The lines covered by the lease are:
- Main South line between Macarthur and Albury
- North Coast line between Broadmeadow and the Queensland border
- Main North line between Maitland and Werris Creek
- Broken Hill line between Parkes and Broken Hill
- Unanderra to Moss Vale line
- Sandy Hollow to Gulgong line
- Stockinbingal to Parkes line
- Parkes to Narromine line
- Troy Junction to Merrygoen line
Rail Infrastructure Corporation also contracted operational responsibility of the remainder of its country branch lines to the Australian Rail Track Corporation, however from January 2012 this was transferred to the John Holland Group.
In July 2010, Rail Infrastructure Corporation ceased to be a state owned corporation, becoming a statutory corporation renamed the Country Rail Infrastructure Authority. In July 2012 the Country Rail Infrastructure Authority was abolished and its responsibilities transferred to Transport for New South Wales.
- Annual Report 30 June 2001 Rail Infrastructure Corporation
- Rail Infrastructure Corporation NSW Government State Records
- Rail Corporation of New South Wales NSW Government State Records
- Annual Report 30 June 2004 RailCorp
- Memorandum between The Commonwealth of Australia & The State of New South Wales & Australian Rail Track Corporation Limited Australian Rail Track Corporation
- The Agreement in Summary Australian Rail Track Corporation
- John Holland to manage NSW regional rail Rail Express
- Country Rail Network John Holland
- Annual Report 30 June 2010 Rail Infrastructure Corporation
- Transport Legislation Amendment Bill 2011 Parliament of New South Wales
- Home - As of 1 July 2012 CRIA will be abolished and its functions will be absorbed into Transport for NSW Country Rail Infrastructure Authority