Railroad Square Art Park is a small district of Tallahassee, Florida, located off Railroad Avenue (just south of the Amtrak station and FAMU), filled with a variety of metal art sculptures and stores selling artwork and collectibles. Railroad Square is mainly known for its small locally owned shops and working artist studios, and its alternative art scene. On the first Friday of every month, Railroad Square is home to a free gallery hop known as First Friday from 6pm-9pm, where a diverse group of upwards of 2000 Tallahasseeans, from students to seniors, come to meet their friends and experience art.
Artists of Railroad Square
The Ray Burggraf Studio. Ray Burggraf is an artist, color theorist, and Emeritus Professor of Fine Arts at Florida State University. Burggraf's work exhibits technical mastery over the translation of Florida's ecosystem into forms, colors, spaces and light. Using acrylic paint and wood—and sometimes Plexiglas and UV light—Burggraf creates works of art that do not easily fit into an established category. Burggraf frequently calls his paintings "color constructions", and they have been exhibited in museums and galleries throughout North America, Europe and Asia.
- Orlando Sentinel, Judges Have Extensive Art Backgrounds, March 6, 1988, (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1988-03-06/features/0020280038_1_degree-in-fine-art-festival-fine-arts)
- Nasgaard, Roald, Ray Burggraf: Master of Abstraction, Publisher: Florida State University Museum of Fine Art, Tallahassee, FL, January 1, 2006, ASIN: B005KDHE06
- Broward College Alumni Network, Ray Burggraf - Wide Open Spaces: Paintings, Drawings, Color Constructions, Accessed March 2013, (http://alumni.broward.edu/event/id/131299/Ray-Burggraf---Wide-Open-Spaces-Paintings-Drawings-Color-Constructions.htm#)
- Valdosta State University News, Artists of Railroad Square: Multi-media Invitational Exhibition, February 8, 2012 (http://www.valdosta.edu/about/news/releases/2012/02/railroadsquare-020912.php)
- Tallahassee Democrat, Best Bets: From Creepy Art to Zombie-Prom, Oct. 2011, (http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20111014/ENT/110140308/Best-bets-From-creepy-art-Zombie-Prom-)
- Tallahassee/Leon County Council on Arts & Culture, (http://www.cocanet.org/artistdirectory/painting-oilacrylic/10839217)