A male chauffeur is in the front seat, and a female sits in the back seat. A system of pipes causes "rainfall" within the taxi. The female wears an evening dress. Her hair is tousled. Lettuce and chicory grow around her. Live snails crawl across her. The chauffeur has a shark's head.
The piece was first displayed in 1938 at the Galerie Beaux-Arts in Paris of the Exposition Internationale du Surréalisme, organised by André Breton and Paul Éluard. The Exposition was designed by Marcel Duchamp.
See also 
- The Salvador Dali Society
- The Conquest of the Irrational. Salvador Dali, Art of the 20th Century. www.all-art.org. Retrieved 2011-06-10.
- Salvador Dalí Biography Salvador Dalí. Gala-Salvador Dalí Foundation. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Herbert, J. (1998). Paris 1937: Worlds on Exhibition. Ithaca: Cornell University Press. ISBN 0-8014-3494-7.
- Cohen-Solal, A. (2010) Leo and His Circle: The Life of Leo Castelli. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, division of Random House. ISBN 978-1-4000-4427-6.
|This art-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|