The title and awards of Raj Ratna & Raj Bhushan came to an end mostly by the end of year 1949 with the amalgamation of almost all Princely States in to India and formation of the Republic of India
However, the legacy, spirit and essence of these awards are being carried forward in independent India, by similar other prestigious awards like Bharat Ratna, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri awarded by Government of India.
Names of some persons awarded title Raj Ratna
- Sir Sevaklal Dalshukhbhai Parikh, was awarded Raj Ratna by Princely State of Baroda. He was the director of co-operative societies which eventually became banks for the State of Baroda. 
- Nanji Kalidas Mehta, M.B.E. - awarded Raj Ratna by Princely State of Porbandar
- Jagan Nath Bhandari, Rai Bahadur, the Dewan of Idar State - awarded Raj Ratan by Princely State of Idar.
- Rattanji Daboo Dinshaw, awarded Raj Ratna by Princely State of Baroda. was also awarded Raj Bhushan earlier before elevated to Raj Ratna Status.
- Sj. Chimanlal Giridharlal awarded Raj Ratan by HH the Gaekwar of Baroda State.
- Sheth Zaverchand Laxmichand awarded Raj Ratna by Baroda State.
- Shri Harish Chandra - Rajya Ratna of Jodhpur State.
- Rajratan Purshotoom Tribhuvandas Patel of Anand, Gujarat, who funded money to start Rajratan Purshotoom Tribhuvandas Patel High School and Rajratna P T Patel Science College was awarded Rajratan title by Baorda State.
Ramchandra Keshav Ranadive (Deshpande) was awarded Raj Ratna Gold by HH Sir Sayajirao, a medal weighing 10 Tola (Over 100 gms). He served three kings of Baroda state, HH Sir Sayajirao III, HH Sir Pratapsinh and HH Fatehsinh. As the head of Legal & Political Affairs, he was the key person on whom the Kings relied during the days of merger of the states. He drafted the merger documentation and presented the same to the British Parliament. He is known for his book on the legal and political issues involved in merger of states. He is a descendant of "Baji Prabhu Deshpande" the most trusted general of Chatrapati Shivaji.
- Rattanji Daboo, Dinshaw, Raj Ratna, BA, Zamindar; b. 25 September 1835; Representative, Baroda Government at the ... Central Communication Board; Awarded 'Raj Bhusan' and a silver medal 1927; title of 'Raj Ratna* with a gold medal.. All India co-operative review, Volume 8
- BHANDARI JAGAN NATH, RAI BHADUR, RAJ RATAN M.A., L.L.B., Dewan Idar State.. The Times of India directory and year book including who's who, Volume 32, 1945
- Nanjibhai was honoured during his lifetime by the British Government with the title of M.B.E. for his work in Uganda. His Highness Maharana Shri Natvarsinghji of Porbandar conferred on him the title of Raj Ratna. On the cultural front, the late Kaka Kalelkar honoured him with a Dharma Ratna.
- Jagannath Bhandari...Resumed law practice, 1922; appointed Dewan of Idar State, 1931. Given title of Ral Bahadur by Government In June. 1933, and Raj Ratna by HH the Maharaja Sahib Bahadur, Aug. 1933 World biography, Volume 1, 1948
- ...efforts of the late Maharaja of Porbandar, Shri Natavarsinhji, and Rajaratna Shri Manjibhai Kalidas Mehta and..
-  The Dawn and Dawn Society's magazine, Volume 11, 1907