Nazrin Shah of Perak
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Content and source are unclear and could be false. (May 2014)|
|Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah|
|Sultan of Perak|
|Reign||29 May 2014 - present|
|Predecessor||Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah ibni Almarhum Sultan Yusuf Izzuddin Shah|
|Issue||YAM Raja Azlan Muzzaffar Shah
YM Raja Nazira Safya
|Father||Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah ibni Almarhum Sultan Yusuf Izzuddin Shah|
|Mother||The Raja Permaisuri (Queen) of Perak Tuanku Siti Bainun binti Mohd. Ali , D.K. , D.M.N.|
27 November 1956 |
|Perak Royal Family|
HRH Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah, The Sultan
HH Raja Jaafar, Raja di-Hilir
HH Raja Iskandar Zulkarnain, Raja Kechil Besar
HH Raja Ahmad Nazim Azlan Shah, Raja Kechil Tengah
Sultan Nazrin Shah was born on 27 November 1956 in Penang. He is the eldest son of the late Sultan of Perak, Sultan Azlan Muhibbudin Shah ibni Almarhum Sultan Yusuf Izzuddin Shah Ghafarullahu-lahu and the Raja Permaisuri of Perak Tuanku Bainun Binti Mohd. Ali.
Sultan Nazrin has an academic and intellectual background with a BA degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics from Worcester College, Oxford. He also holds an MPA degree from John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, and a PhD degree in Political Economy and Government from Harvard University.
Sultan Nazrin’s research interests are in the area of economic and political development in South-East and North-East Asia, historical national income accounting and economic growth in developing countries.
The sultan has also written articles and spoken on a wide range of issues including the role of the constitutional monarchy in Malaysia, education, Islam, ethnic relations and economic development.
He has assumed the role of Financial Ambassador of the Malaysian International Islamic Financial Centre (MIFC), has been Pro-Chancellor of Universiti Malaya since 1989 and is the chairman of the Board of Governors of the Malay College Kuala Kangsar.
He is also an Eminent Fellow of the Institute of Strategic and International Studies (ISIS) Malaysia.
He was proclaimed the Raja Muda (Crown Prince) of Perak on 15 April 1984, taking over from his father, Sultan Azlan Shah, who just two weeks earlier became the Sultan of Perak. On 29 May 2014, he become the 35th Sultan of Perak after his father, Sultan Azlan passed away.
Sultan Nazrin's full name including official titles is as below:
Duli Yang Maha Mulia Maulana Paduka Seri Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah ibni Almarhum Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah Al-Maghfurlah, Sultan, Yang di-Pertuan Negara dan Raja Pemerintah Negeri Perak Darul Ridzuan dan Jajahan Takluknya, D.K., D.K.II (Selangor), D.K.S.A, S.P.C.M, S.P.T.S, S.P.M.P. (Perlis), Ph.D (Harvard), MPA (Harvard).
He was appointed Regent of Perak when his father became the ninth Yang di-Pertuan Agong from 1989 to 1994.
Sultan Nazrin of Perak married Zara Salim Davidson at Istana Iskandariah, Bukit Chandan, on 17 May 2007. This was announced by the Comptroller of the Perak royal household, Raja Datuk Seri Mansur Raja Razman. Sultan Nazrin and Tuanku Zara knew each other for eight years before the wedding.
A day after the solemnisation of their vows, there was a special proclamation ceremony to bestow Tuanku Zara with the official title of Raja Puan Besar of Perak. Sultan Azlan Shah had consented to the proclamation of the then Raja Nazrin’s bride Zara Salim Davidson as the Raja Puan Besar of Perak and the conferment of the Darjah Kerabat on her.
The royal wedding reception took place on 19 May 2007.
The first child of the couple, YAM Raja Azlan Muzzaffar Shah (Raja Kechil Besar Perak), was born on 14 March 2008. The second child, a princess, YM Raja Nazira Safya Shah was born 3 August 2011
He has been awarded:
Honours of Perak
- Recipient of the Royal Family Order of Perak (DK )
- Superior Class of the Perak Family Order of Sultan Azlan Shah (DKSA, 18.4.2005) 
- Member First Class of the Azlanii Royal Family Order (DKA I) 
- Grand Knight of the Order of Cura Si Manja Kini (the Perak Sword of State, SPCM, 19.4.1986) with title Dato' Sri —current ribbon :
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of Taming Sari (the Perak State Kris, SPTS, 19.4.1989) with title Dato' Sri
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Perak State Crown (SPMP) with title Dato' Sri
Honours of Malaysia
- Perlis : Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Crown of Perlis or Star of Safi (SPMP)
- Selangor :
- Second Class of the Royal Family Order of Selangor (DK II, 13.12.2003)
- Raja Nazrin proclaimed as the 35th Sultan of Perak, 29 May 2014, The Malaysian Insider
- Raja Nazrin proclaimed new Sultan of Perak, May 30, 2014, The Malay Mail
- The Royal Ark, Perak, p.16
- The Admire Hunkz, Photo of Crown Prince wearing DKSA
- Radin Blog, Royal Family of Perak, Photo of Crown Prince and Family wearing DKA I
- Blog, Photo of Prince Nazrin (third from the left) wearing former SPCM ribbon
- Official Webpage of the Office of the Sultan of Perak
- Raja Nazrin Politely Declines State Allocation Bernama, 12 May 2007.
- Raja Nazrin's Long-time Friend First To Arrive For Royal Wedding Bernama, 13 May 2007.
- The Day Raja Nazrin Was Best Man Bernama, 14 May 2007.
- Raja Muda Perak And Zara Tie The Knot Bernama, 17 May 2007.
- Full text of speech by Raja Muda of Perak, Raja Nazrin Shah, at the Diversity Matters Forum on Diasporas in the Commonwealth at Monash University, Sunway Campus on Nov 19, 2008 TheSun, Nov 19, 2008.
Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah
|Sultan of Perak
2014 – present