|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Serves||Rajahmundry, East Godavari|
|Location||Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Elevation AMSL||151 ft / 46 m|
Rajahmundry Airport (IATA: RJA, ICAO: VORY) is located at Madhurapudi, 18 km north of Rajahmundry in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. Besides commercial flights to Hyderabad, the air strip is extensively used by helicopters of the ONGC for its offshore oil exploration operations and other government agencies.
The airport was constructed during the British era and is spread over an area of 366 acres. It was served by Vayudoot between 1985 and 1994 and by VIF Airways in 1995. The Andhra Pradesh government signed an MoU worth Rs. 23 crore with the Airports Authority of India (AAI) in February 2007 for modernising the airport. Works on the new terminal building to accommodate 150 passengers and a control tower were completed in 2011 at a cost of Rs. 38 crores. The terminal was inaugurated on 16 May 2012. The AAI's plans to extend the existing runway from 1,749 metres to 3,125 metres to enable landing of aircraft like the Airbus A320 have met with resistance from local land owners. Approximately 700 more acres would be needed for this expansion. Limited by runway length, airlines operate smaller 70 seat turbo-prop aircraft like the ATR-72 (Jet Airways)and the Q-400 (SpiceJet) into Rajahmundry. As of now, the government has sanctioned Rs. 80 crores for its expansion.
Airlines and destinations
operated by JetKonnect
- "Night landing facility soon at Rajahmundry". The Hindu. 29 May 2008. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- VIF Airways Profile on India Infoline
- "Rajahmundry airport terminal becomes operational". The Hindu Business Line. 17 May 2012. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "Airport expansion: Ryots oppose land acquisition before assurance on rehab". Times of India. 10 February 2012. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- Gulag, a vory is a criminal fraternity formed by prisoners of the gulags
|This article about an airport in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|