|Directed by||K. V. Vijayendra Prasad
S.S. Rajamouli (Action sequences)
|Produced by||Nagarjuna Akinneni|
|Written by||K. V. Vijayendra Prasad|
|Music by||M.M. Keeravani|
|Cinematography||Shyam K. Naidu|
|Budget||160 million (US$2.6 million)|
|Box office||600 million (US$9.6 million)|
Rajanna is a 2011 Telugu historical, drama film starring Akkineni Nagarjuna and Sneha in the lead. It was written and directed by K. V. Vijayendra Prasad. The film, based on the Razakars movement and freedom fighter Suddala Hanmanthu was released on 22 December 2011 to positive reviews and critical acclaim, with soundtrack composed by National Film Award winner M. M. Keeravani.
The film is set in the Nelakondapalli village of khammam district in Nizam Princely State of Hyderabad of the late 1940s. The feudal society is under the vice-like grip of an aristocratic family and its head, a Dorasani (Shwetha Menon). Mallamma (Baby Annie) is the darling of the village, who is living in perpetual humiliation. They seek solace in her songs. Brought up by Sambayya, an old man, she develops a mysterious attachment to a basil tree which is regarded as holy by the entire village.
She happens to sing a song in the Dorasani's house which enrages her. Since nobody can have a skill which her daughter has not been able to acquire, she decrees that Mallamma cannot sing if she wants to be alive. However, singing is in her very marrow. After all, she is the daughter of Rajanna, who had inspired hundreds of villagers to revolt against the evil lords through his revolutionary songs.
When the Dorasani finds Mallamma singing for another time, she decides to hound her and kill. The grandpa wants to take her away, but Mallamma refuses to oblige. It is then when she tells him that she cannot abandon the village where she Rajanna meets her every day. Dorasani, who overhears Sambayya telling her that she is Rajanna's progeny, kills him. A heroine that she is, Mallamma stages an escape with the help of the music teacher (Nassar) and sets off to Delhi to meet Nehru (Prime minister).
The Rajanna story
After killing over a hundred British officers, Rajanna (Akkineni Nagarjuna) is a proud son of a free India. Much to his dismay, he finds the villagers of Nelakondavalli still in servitude and radicalises them to massacre the oppressors. The revolution spreads to hundreds of villages and the nawabs are shaken. Unable to repress the warfare on their own, the local lords seek the help of the evil Razakars.
Ever at the forefront to save the village, Rajanna leads a guerrilla warfare with his four comrades (a Muslim, a Tamil Brahmin, a Punjabi and a Maharashtrian) and achieves martyrdom after fighting hundreds of Razakar desperadoes to the finish.
Rajanna lives on in the memories of the people of Nelakondapalli. His spirit arouses Mallamma to put up a never-say-die attitude and rid the village of the beastly doras.
- Akkineni Nagarjuna as Rajanna
- Sneha as Lachamma
- Shwetha Menon as Dorasani
- Baby Annie as Mallamma
- Nassar as Music Teacher
- Pradeep Rawat
- Mukesh Rishi
- Ravi Kale
- Aruna Devi
It was announced in 2010 that Akkineni Nagarjuna would do a film titled 'Rajanna' under Vijayendra Prasad's direction. Tollywood director S.S. Rajamouli choreographed the action sequences of the film. Sneha was roped in to play the female lead after their previous hit Sri Ramadasu.
A massive village set and Bungalow set were erected near Jubilee Hills of Hyderabad for the film. It accidentally caught fire on 5 April 2011 causing a loss of 7 million. Filming resumed after 2 weeks.
The film was set to be released on 23 December 2011 but date was moved ahead to 21 December due to good response to the film's music.
The movie has collected in its total run 800/m (US$Bad rounding hereFormatting error: invalid input when rounding), the budget of the movie was 160 million (US$2.6 million).
The reviews from the press were very positive. Rediff hailed the film as brilliant and fullhyd.com said "Mallamma's story is brilliantly written", and praised the performances as well, particularly that of Baby Annie.
StudentLive, the popular e-magazine from Hyderabad, gave this 4/5 saying "Rajanna is a movie made with a genuine effort. It’s not a movie stuffed with brainless action. This is something rare from the stables of Tollywood which more often than not dishes movies that require you to leave your brain behind when you watch the movie. Rajanna is sure to touch your hearts."
- Nandi Award for Best Feature Film – silver
- Nandi Award for Best Child Actress – Baby Annie
- Nandi Special Jury Award – Nagarjuna Akkineni
- Nandi Award for Best Character Actor – Gandhi
- Nandi Award for Best Female Playback Singer – Malavika
- Nandi Award for Best Art Director – S. Ravinder
- Other Awards
- South Indian International Movie Awards – Special Appreciation (Actor) – Nagarjuna Akkineni
- CineMAA Awards – Special Jury Award (Actor) – Nagarjuna Akkineni
The soundtrack, composed by M.M. Keeravani, has a total of 9 tracks. The audio was released directly into the market. The audio was well received and was opened to positive reviews by critics.
|1||"Gjijigadu"||Sanjeev Chimmalgi, Kaala Bhairava||K Sivadatta|
|2||"Raa Ree Ro Rela"||Madhumita, Revanth, Shravana Bhargavi, K Sahiti, Amrithavarshini, B. Ramya||Ananth Sriram|
|3||"Karakuraathi Gundello"||MM. Keeravani, Kailash Kher||K Sivadatta|
|4||"Lachuvamma Lachuvamma"||Deepu, Shravana Bhargavi||Suddala Ashokteja|
|5||"Chittiguvva"||Shivani, Venu, Sanjeev Chaimmalgi, Ramya||Ananth Sriram|
|6||"Okka Kshanam"||Balaji, Deepu, Revanth, Rahul, Pridhvichandra||Ananth Sriram|
|7||"Goodu chediri koila"||Mettapalli Surender, Chaitra||K Sivadatta|
|8||"Kaaligajje"||Mettapalli Surender, Chaitra||Mettapalli Surender|
|9||"Vey, Vey"||Revanth||Suddala Ashokteja|
- "Rajanna`s release advanced by a day". Sify.com. 15 December 2011. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Hot Bikini Wallpaper | Cash Advance | Debt Consolidation | Insurance at". Telugu365.com. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- Rediff.com (24 August 2011). "Rajanna based on Razakaras movement". Rediff.com. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- Prakash (26 December 2011). "Nagarjuna's Rajanna gets good opening at Box Office". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Nagarjuna | Rajanna | Vijayendra Prasad | Rajamouli | Annapurna Studios". CineGoer.com. 1 January 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- "Sneha joins Nagarjuna in Rajanna". Sify.com. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- Andhravilas.net (24 August 2010). "Sneha to romance Nagarjuna once again? – Andhravilas.com -Telugu Cinema, Telugu Movies, India News & World News, Bollywood, Songs:". Andhravilas.com. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- "Shwetha Menon in Negative role in Rajanna". Supergoodmovies.com. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- Sify.com (24 August 2011). "Rajanna child artist". Sify.com. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- indiaglitz.com (5 April 2011). "Rajanna Set Fire". indiaglitz.com. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- "Review: Rajanna is brilliant – Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 21 December 2011. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- Madhav, Sriram. "Rajanna Review: A brilliant epic". Movie Review. StudentLive.
- MSN.com (29 November 2011). "Rajanna Audio Launch". MSN.com. Retrieved 29 November 2011.
- 123Telugu.com (29 November 2011). "Rajanna Audio Review". 123Telugu.com. Retrieved 29 November 2011.