September 13, 1959 |
Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Known for||Chairman of Indian Premier League (2008-2013)|
Rajeev Shukla (born 13 September 1959) was the chairman of Indian Premier League, an Indian journalist, political commentator, television host and the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Planning, Government of India. He is a Member of Parliament since 2000. He serves as secretary of the All India Congress Committee, the central governing body of India's largest political party. Following the scandal over alleged corruption and spot-fixing in the IPL, Shukla resigned as its chairman on 1 June 2013.
Rajiv Shukla was born on 13 September 1959 in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. Before entering politics, he was a reporter for Hindi daily Jansatta. Shukla held this job until 1985, when he became a special correspondent for Ravivar Magazine. As his skills grew, he became the anchorman for Rubaru, a highly-popular television news show. The Observer group of newspapers hired him as a senior editor, and he continued in that job until being elected to the Rajya Sabha in 2000. He has now joined the Indian National congress. According to some sources, he was not so successful at the beginning; however, when he started power-brokering in early 90s, he gained power and influence in higher rank politicians.
Running as a member of the Akhil Bhartiya Loktantrik Congress Party, Shukla won by a large margin. In 2003, his party merged with the Indian National Congress, and Shukla was appointed as a congress party spokesperson. He was nominated as a secretary to the All India Congress Committee in January 2006. In March 2006, Shukla was elected for a second term.
- founder and director of BAG Films Limited
- Secretary of Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association
- Manager of the Indian National Cricket Team.
- Rajiv Shukla has been appointed as the chief of IPL at the BCCI AGM held on 18 September 2011. Rajiv's appointment comes after Chirayu Amin's decision to step down. He was reappointed as IPL chairman in 2012.
His wife is Anuradha Prasad, a former TV channel anchor and producer of Hindi and Punjabi films, and whose brother is Mr. Ravi Shankar Prasad, Rajya Sabha MP of BJP & a former Union Minister in the Vajapyee Government
- "Rajiv Shukla resigns as IPL chairman". ESPNcricinfo. 2013-06-01. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
- "Rajiv Shukla resigns as IPL chairman". The Hindu. 2013-06-01. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
- Rajeev Shukla Profile
- Ramakrishan, Venkitesh (15 April 2000). "Convulsions in Uttar Pradesh". Frontline. Retrieved 28 October 2006.
- Ramaseshan, Radhika (7 January 2006). "Rahul Awaits Popular Demand". The Telegraph. Retrieved 29 October 2006.
- Rajiv Shukla resigns as IPL Chairman
- The Indian Express: Columnists > Rajeev Shukla