Rajesh Gopakumar at Harvard University
December 14, 1967 |
|Fields||String Theory, Theoretical Physics|
|Institutions||Harish-Chandra Research Institute
Institute for Advanced Study
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (B.Sc., M.Sc.), Princeton University (Ph.D)|
|Doctoral advisor||David Gross|
|Known for||Gopakumar–Vafa duality
|Notable awards||Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award, ICTP Prize|
Rajesh Gopakumar (born 1967 in Kolkata, India) is a theoretical physicist at the International Center for Theoretical Sciences (ICTS) in Bangalore. He has previously been a professor at Harish-Chandra Research Institute (HRI) in Allahabad, India. He is known for his work on topological string theory.
Gopakumar was born in 1967 to Jaishree and G. Gopakumar in Kolkata. His family hails from the southern Indian state of Kerala. He has the distinction being ranked 1 in the entrance examination for the Indian Institute of Technology in 1987.
Gopakumar obtained his integrated M.Sc. degree in Physics from the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur in 1992. He received his Ph.D. from Princeton University in 1997 under the supervision of David Gross. After a few years as a research associate at Harvard University, he joined HRI in 2001. He was also a Visiting Fellow at the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, New Jersey from 2001 to 2004.
He is married to Rukmini Dey, a Professor of Mathematical Physics at HRI.
Gopakumar was awarded the 2004 B.M. Birla Science Prize in Physics.
He received TWAS award in 2013.
- Gopakumar, Rajesh (2006). "Baby universes and string theory". Int.J.Mod.Phys. D15: 1581–1586. Retrieved 2007-06-04.
- Gopakumar, Rajesh (June 2006). "Baby From spacetime to worldsheet: Four point correlators". JHEP. 0701:063. Retrieved 2007-06-04.
- List of R. Gopakumar's Publications
- "Academic Report 2010-2011" (PDF). Harish-Chandra Research Institute. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "City scientist chosen for Bhatnagar award". The Times Of India. 2009-09-29. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- Where are They Now? | OPEN Magazine
- [dead link]
- Rajesh Gopakumar, Cumrun Vafa (1999). "On the Gauge Theory/Geometry Correspondence". Advances in Theoretical and Mathematical Physics 3. arXiv:hep-th/9811131.
- IITKAA "News Update". IIT Kanpur Alumni Association. 2006-03-07. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "The Prize Winners". International Centre for Theoretical Physics. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "Members". Global Young Academy. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- GYA member listing, retrieved 2011-03-23.
|This article about an Indian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|