|Fields||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
|Institutions||University of California, Los Angeles|
|Alma mater||IIT Kanpur, India
Carnegie Mellon University
|Known for||Electric Vehicle, Smart Grid and Wireless, and RFID technologies|
|Notable awards||Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)|
Rajit Gadh is a Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at the UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science and the founding director of the UCLA Smart Grid Energy Research Center (SMERC) and the UCLA Wireless Internet for Mobile Enterprise Consortium (WINMEC).
Personal and Early Life
A native of India, Gadh graduated from Loyola High School, Jamshedpur, and La Martiniere High School, Calcutta. He received his B.S. degree in Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IIT) and a M.S. degree in Engineering at Cornell University. He went on to complete a Ph.D. in Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU), focusing on CAD/CAM, Feature Recognition, Computational Geometry, Artificial Intelligence/Robotics, and Visualization.
Gadh has over 25 years of experience in research and development, leading technology teams to investigate and develop advanced technologies and products. He is currently a professor at UCLA and the director of UCLA's Smart Grid Energy Research Center (SMERC), which focuses on researching and developing innovative technologies for the next generation electric utility grid.
Prior to UCLA, Gadh taught for seven years at the University of Wisconsin-Madison as an assistant, associate and full professor. He has also been a visiting researcher at Stanford University where he did his sabbatical from 1999 to 2000, and at the University of California, Berkeley where he served for a year after completing his doctorate degree.
Since 2004, Gadh has served on the Editorial Board of ACM Computers in Entertainment Publication. He is also on the editorial board for the International Journal of Internet Manufacturing and Services (IJIMS) and the advisory board for Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator.
Awards and Honors
Rajit Gadh received the Ralph R. Teetor Research and Educational Award from the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) in 1993, Eastman Kodak - ASME Best Technical Paper Award from ASME Design Automation Conference in 1993, ALCOA Science Support Scholar from ALCOA Foundation in 1993 & 1994, Research Initiation Award from the National Science Foundation (NSF) in 1994, Early CAREER Award from NSF in 1995, Research Initiation Award from the Engineering Foundation in 1994, Lucent Industrial Ecology Fellow from AT&T in 1996, Lucent Industrial Ecology Award from NSF in 1997, and the William Mong Visiting Research Fellowship in Engineering from the University of Hong Kong in 2008. In 2013, along with several UCLA SMERC team members, he also received the Best Paper (Bronze) award at the 2013 IEEE International Conference on RFID Technologies and Applications.
On November 15, 2013, UCLA announced it's first of six Grand Challenges Project, "Thriving in a Hotter Los Angeles", whose goal is to make the Los Angeles region 100% sustainable in water and energy by 2050. Gadh and his team at SMERC, along with other faculty, centers, and staff will be involved in this Grand Challenge.
Dr. Gadh was featured amongst a select number of faculty who are "groundbreakers" in UCLA's recent media campaign "The Optimists". Other notable figures in the campaign include John Wooden, Francis Ford Coppola, Terence Tao, Jackie Robinson, and James Dean.
Most recently, Rajit Gadh was interviewed by The Huffington Post about the origin of wireless technology, how it works and where it is headed. He was also interviewed by World Politics Review and Southern California Public Radio about the massive blackouts in India on 30 and 31 of July 2012, the largest power outage in history, and was also interviewed by the BBC about the Great Blackout of 2011 that affected parts of Southern California and Arizona, the largest blackout in California history.
Gadh has also been interviewed by other news outlets about various topics such as RFID technology by ZDNet, smart grid technology by MIT Technology Review, Technology Marketing Corp., and Glendale New-Press, LED technology by BizAsiaTechnology, and the Hurricane Sandy power outages by Popular Mechanics. He was recently quoted in a Toronto Star article, "How electricity has the power to transform the lives of girls around the world ", talking about new technologies being developed to allow homes to feed energy back into the grid.
Research and Publications
He has over 150 published papers, given keynotes and lectures to numerous conferences, and has 3 patents granted.
Speaker, California Energy Commission (CEC) Staff Workshop on the State's Role in Supporting Interoperability of Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE), 15 August 2013 
ISGMA 2013, International Symposium on Green Manufacturing and Applications, 25–29 June 2013
Plenary speaker, 2013 FREEDM Systems Center Annual Industry Review and Conference, 12–13 February 2013
Plenary speaker, India Electricity 2013, 16–18 January 2013
Panel speaker, Milken Institute Summit - California 2012: "Renewables: Our Energy Edge?", November 15, 2012
HotPower '12 - 2012 Workshop on Power-Aware Computing and Systems, October 7, 2012
MobiCom 2011, The 17th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Network, September 20, 2011
Smart Grid Virtual Summit: Winter 2011, February 24, 2011
Distribution Technology & Innovation Summit, July 15, 2010
MobiCase 2009: The International Conference on Mobile Computing, Applications, and Services, October 26, 2009
DCOSS '09 The 5th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems, June 9, 2009
Raytheon’s Innovation Café, February 19, 2009
The Dizzying Convergence Of Electronic Devices And Services - What Are The Opportunities For Entrepreneurs?, Caltech/MIT Enterprise Forum, May 12, 2007
Associazionne Italiana di Logistica e di Supply Chain Management, June 2005
RFID: Wirelessly Tracking Objects From Cradle to Grave, April 20, 2005
X meeting of the telecom Industry, Defining the basis for a solid expansion, May 25, 2004
Third Annual Wireless Ventures Conference by Dow Jones VenutreWire, April 22, 2004
LOMA Emerging Technology Conference, September 3, 2003
C.Chung, E. Youn, J. Chynoweth, C. Qiu, C. Chu, R. Gadh, "Safety Design for Smart Electric Vehicle Charging with Current and Multiplexing Control", 2013 IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, Vancouver, Canada, 21-24 October, 2013, (in press)
C. Chung, J. Chynoweth, C. Qiu, C. Chu, R. Gadh, "Design of Fair Charging Algorithm for Smart Electrical Vehicle Charging Infrastructure", International Conference on ICT Convergence 2013, Jeju, Korea, Oct. 14-16, 2013
C. Chung, A. Shepelev, C. Qiu, C. Chu, R. Gadh, "Design of RFID Mesh Network for Electric Vehicle Smart Charging Infrastructure", 2013 IEEE International Conference on RFID Technologies and Applications, IEEE RFID TA 2013, Johor Bahru, Malaysia, 4-5 September, 2013 (in press)
Ching-Yen Chung, Peter Chu, Rajit Gadh, "Design of Smart Charging Infrastructure Hardware And Firmware Design of The Various Current Multiplexing Charging System", Seventh Global Conference on Power Control and Optimization PCO 2013, Prague, August. 2013. p. 25-27
Eun-Kyu Lee, Rajit Gadh, Mario Gerla, "Energy Service Interface: Accessing to Customer Energy Resources for Smart Grid Interoperation", IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 31(7), July 2013
Eun-Kyu Lee, Rajit Gadh, Mario Gerla, "Resource Centric Security to Protect Customer Energy Information in the Smart Grid", IEEE Smart Grid Communications, Taiwan, October. 2012 (Conference Paper)
Rui Huang, Tiana Huang, Rajit Gadh, Na Li, "Solar Generation Prediction using the ARMA Model in a Laboratory-level Micro-grid", Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm), 2012 IEEE Third International Conference on Digital Object Identifier, Nov. 5-8, 2012 Taiwan, p. 528-533
S. Mal, A. Chattopadhyay, A. Yang, R. Gadh, "Electric vehicle smart charging and vehicle-to-grid operation", International Journal of Parallel, Emergent and Distributed Systems, vol. 27, no. 3. March 2012.
Siddhartha Mal, Rajit Gadh, "Real-Time Push Middleware and Mobile Application for Electric Vehicle Smart Charging and Aggregation", Accepted for publication June 15, 2011, Special Issue on: Context-Aware System and Intelligent Middleware for Smart Grid International Journal of Communication Networks and Distributed Systems (IJCNDS) 2011.
Katina Michael, George Roussos, George Q. Huang, Arunabh Chattopadhyay, Rajit Gadh, B.S. Prabhu, Peter Chu, "Planetary-scale RFID Services in an Age of Uberveillance 98(9)", Proceedings of the IEEE, 1663-1671 (2010)
Xiaoyong Su, Chi-Cheng Chu, B.S. Prabhu, Rajit Gadh, "Creating a RFID Data Integration Framework for Enterprise Information System", Accepted for publication on International Journal of Internet Protocol Technology, v.4 n.4, p. 221-231, November 2009
Giuseppe Bonometti, Raffaello Balocco, Peter Chu, Shiv Prabhu, Rajit Gadh, "Mobile Content Market: an Exploratory Analysis of Problems and Drivers in the U.S.", Journal of Entertainment Media, Vol. 15, 2009
Tim Coltman, Rajit Gadh, Katina Michael, "RFID and Supply Chain Management: Introduction to the Special Issue", Journal of Theoretical and Applied Electronic Commerce Research, 3(1), 2008, iii-vi
Xiaoyong Su, Chi-Cheng Chu, B.S. Prabhu, and Rajit Gadh, "On the Identification Device Management and Data Capture via WinRFID Edge-Server", IEEE Systems Journal, 1(2), Dec 2007, 95-104.
Harish Ramamurthy, B. S. Prabhu, Rajit Gadh, Asad Madni, "Wireless Industrial Monitoring and Control using a Smart Sensor Platform", IEEE Sensors Journal, 7(5), May 2007, 611-618
Xiaoyong Su, B.S. Prabhu, Chicheng Chu and Rajit Gadh, "Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) Based Multi-Level Graphics Representation for Engineering Rich-Content Exchange in Mobile Collaboration Computing Environments", Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering—June 2006—Volume 6, Issue 2, pp. 96–102
Rajit Gadh (Ed.). (1993). Intelligent Concurrent Design: Fundamentals, Methodology, Modeling, and Practice. New York, NY: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Rajit Gadh (Ed.). (1994). Concurrent Product Design. New York, NY: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Osama M. Jadaan, Allan C. Ward, Edmund C. Feldy, Rajit Gadh, Nihon Kikai Gakkai (Eds.). (1995). 11th Biennial Conference on Reliability, Stress Analysis, and Failure Prevention. New York, NY: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
A.R. Thangaraj, Rajit Gadh, & S. Billatos (Eds.). (1995). Concurrent Product and Process Engineering. New York, NY: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Dani, T., Gadh, R. (1998). Chapter 14: Virtual Reality - A New Technology for the Mechanical Engineer. In Kutz, M. (Ed.). Mechanical Engineering Handbook (2nd ed.). New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons.
- "UCLA MAE Faculty — UCLA Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering". Mae.ucla.edu. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- Hewitt, Alison (2010-01-14). "Building the 'smart grid' / UCLA Today". Today.ucla.edu. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- Duffy, Alexander (2013-05-31). "Engineer uses UCLA parking lots as 'living lab' for electric car research / UCLA Today". Today.ucla.edu. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- "Mentors & Advisors | Los Angeles CleanTech Incubator (LACI)Los Angeles CleanTech Incubator (LACI)". Laincubator.org. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- "1995 Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) grants, College of Engineering @ The University of Wisconsin-Madison, initiatives in energy, health, nanotechnology, security, and information technology". engr.wisc.edu. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Faculty of Engineering, The University of Hong Kong". Engg.hku.hk. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "MAE team wins IEEE RFID bronze best paper award — UCLA Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering". Mae.ucla.edu. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- Sharpe, Kelsey (2011-10-19). "Professor elected fellow of American Society of Mechanical Engineers - FBB Post / UCLA Today". Today.ucla.edu. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- Hewitt, Alison (2013-11-14). "UCLA announces plan to tackle 'Grand Challenges,' starting with urban sustainability / UCLA Newsroom". Newsroom.ucla.edu. Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- "UCLA Grand Challenges". Grandchallenges.ucla.edu. 2013-04-02. Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- "Thriving in a Hotter Los Angeles - UCLA Grand Challenges". YouTube. 2013-11-14. Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- "The Optimists - UCLA". Ucla.edu. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- Elliot, Stuart (2012-02-13). "Ads Say the ‘A’ in U.C.L.A. Is for ‘Achievement’". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- Posted: 10/16/2013 3:26 pm EDT (1973-10-17). "5G WiFi Will Help Integrate Wireless Networking Into Everyday Lives". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- Cheney, Catherine (2012-08-02). WPR Article "India's Power Grid Needs More Than Just Increased Capacity". worldpoliticsreview.com. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "CA energy expert weighs in on India power outage | 89.3 KPCC". Scpr.org. 2012-07-31. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "BBC News - Southwest blackouts: How do power outages spread?". bbc.co.uk. 2011-09-09. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- Farber, Dan (2007-02-22). "RFID sensor technology-not ready for prime time". ZDNet. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- Manchester, Phil (2013-01-29). "China Tests a Small Smart Electric Grid". MIT Technology Review. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "ITEXPO Speaker: The Decade of the Smart Grid Begins in 2011". Smart-grid.tmcnet.com. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- "With smart meter naysayers holding court, Glendale brings out the experts". glendalenewspress.com. 2011-11-02. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Fecht, Sarah (2012-10-31). "Should the Northeast Bury its Power Lines to Prevent Outages?". popularmechanics.com. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:04 PM EDT Facebook Twitter RSS. "How electricity has the power to transform the lives of girls around the world | Toronto Star". Thestar.com. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- "UCLA Smart Grid Energy Research Center | Publications". Smartgrid.ucla.edu. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "Implementation of Energy Commission Activities within the Zero Emission Vehicle Action Plan". Energy.ca.gov. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- "ISGMA2013". Isgma.org. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- "FREEDM :: 2013 FREEDM Systems Center Annual Industry Review and Conference". Freedm.ncsu.edu. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- "India Smart Grid Day". Indiaelectricity.in. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- "Milken Institute Summit - California 2012 | Renewables: Our Energy Edge?". Milkeninstitute.org. 2012-11-15. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "HotPower '12". USENIX. 2012-10-07. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- "Speakers - 2012 Energy Efficiency Symposium". Ees.ieee-bv.org. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- Karl Geiger. "Energy Efficiency Symposium Keynote: Dr. Rajit Gadh » Ventura County Star (User story from KARL GEIGER)". Vcstar.com. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "MobiCom 2011: The 17th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking". Sigmobile.org. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "MobiCASE 2009 - The International Conference on Mobile Computing, Applications, and Services". Mobicase.org. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Intl Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems". DCOSS. 2009-05-11. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Rajit Gadh gives keynote address at Raytheon's Innovation Day — UCLA Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering". Mae.ucla.edu. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Caltech/MIT Enterprise Forum". Entforum.caltech.edu. 2007-05-12. Retrieved 2013-05-08.
- "Ailog - Logistica E Rfid: I Nuovi Scenari Di Filiera" (in (Italian)). Ailog.it. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "RFID: Wirelessly Tracking Objects From Cradle to Grave | socalTECH.com Calendar". Socaltech.com. Retrieved 2013-05-08.
- Business Wire (2004-04-26). "Dow Jones VentureWire Announces Investors' Choice Awards at Third Annual Wireless Ventures Conference". Business Wire. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Library of Congress LCCN Permalink 93073262". Lccn.loc.gov. 1993-12-03. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- "Library of Congress LCCN Permalink 94078971". Lccn.loc.gov. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- "Library of Congress LCCN Permalink 95080258". Lccn.loc.gov. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- "Library of Congress LCCN Permalink 95081266". Lccn.loc.gov. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- "Library of Congress LCCN Permalink 97020306". Lccn.loc.gov. Retrieved 2013-04-04.