Rajkumar Singhajit Singh
|Rajkumar Singhajit Singh|
May 1, 1931 |
|Occupation||Classical Indian dancer (Manipuri dance), choreographer, scholar|
Rajkumar Singhajit Singh, (born May 1, 1935) is a leading exponent, choreographer and a guru of Indian classical dance form of Manipuri, including the Pung cholom and Raslila. He was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1984  and the Padma Shri in 1986 for his contribution to the Manipuri dance. In the year 2011, Sangeet Natak Akademi, India's The National Academy for Music, Dance and Drama, awarded him with its highest award, the Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship for his contribution to Indian Dance.
Rajkumar Singhajit Singh was born in a family of dancers and musicians in Manipur. Early in life, he was fortunate to receive his dance education from the finest gurus of Manipuri dance, starting with ‘Guru Ojha Iboton Singh’ (1942–46) for Pung (drum), followed by ‘Guru Amubi Singh’ (1948–54) – Jagoi; ‘Guru Thambal Angou Singh’ (1950–52) - Kartal Chalom; ‘Guru Chauba Singh’ (1952–53) - Kartal Chalom; and with ‘Guru Ojha Gaura Singh’ (1952–53) from whom he learned the martial arts with Sword & Spear, and soon established himself as a dancer, choreographer and artist of repute 
Over the year, he and his dance troupe, have extensively travelled to several countries in Europe, the former USSR, North and South America, Japan, West Asia and Africa. Their recent choreography, Ashta Nayika, has received wide recognition, from both viewers and critics alike 
- Academy Ratna Award, 2011
- Homi Bhabha Fellowship (1976–1978) 
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1984)
- Padma Shri (1986)
- Delhi Sahitya Kala Parishad Award (1975)
- Fellow of Manipur State Kala Academy
- Manipur Sahitya Parishad Nritya Award (1975)
- Nritya Choodamani from Chennai
- Doctor of Letters (hon) – North Eastern Hills University.
- Manipuri by R K Singhajit Singh, Dances of India series, 2004, Wisdom Tree, ISBN 81-86685-15-4. 
- The Martial Arts of Asia: Eliminating Violence
- Rich traditions from the East The Tribune, September 26, 2000
- Official list of awardees - Creative Dance/Choreography the Sangeet Natak Akademi Official website.
- DR. R.K. Singhajit Singh Profile Homi Bhabha Fellowship Council, Mumbai, Fellowship:1976-1978.
- Wedded to Dance Indian Express, July 29, 1999.
- From zero to ten in a step The Hindu, August 1, 2008."...Choreographer Singhajit Singh’s Ashta Nayika, in a freshly conceived interlacing of the Nata Sankirtan and rasa, was a delight." - Leela Venkatraman.
- Celestial numbers The Hindu, July 25, 2008.
- Homi Bhabha Fellowship, List of Fellows # 34. 1976-1978.
- Guru R.K. Singhajit Singh, Charu Sija Mathur website
- An interview with R K Singhajit Singh And Charu Sija Mathur
- R K Singhajit Singh on Manipuri Dance