Rajnesh Dhirendra Singh is a Fiji-born entrepreneur and engineer of Indian descent. He holds several positions in the regional and international Information and Communications Technology community including the Internet Society and IPv6 Forum, and is an active Internet advocate and speaker on Internet technologies.
Singh was born in Suva, Fiji to Dhirendra and Pritam Singh and completed his secondary and tertiary education in Brisbane, Australia. He attended The Kooralbyn International School and studied Microelectronic Engineering at Griffith University, majoring in Communications Systems, graduating with Honours in April 1995. He also holds qualifications in Automation and Control Systems as well as a range of industry accreditations.
Singh is the co-Founder of Avonsys, an Information and Communications Technology outsourcing firm serving the US West Coast and Chief Operating Officer of PATARA, a private sector firm involved in Information and Communications Technology solutions serving the Pacific region. He also serves as a Consultant to the Internet Society and is also involved with other companies and organisations including private equity and venture capital firms.
Singh is also a consultant to the United Nations Asia and Pacific Training Centre for Information and Communication Technology for Development (UN APCICT) where he authored Module 4 of the Academy of ICT Essentials for Government Leaders.
Singh is a frequent speaker at regional and international events on topics related to the Internet and technology and has spoken at events such as Telecom Asia, PTC, eIndia, World Cyber Security Summit, Internet Governance Forum and INETs and divides his time between Suva, Fiji and Delhi, India.
He is Director of the Pacific Internet Technology Centre pacificIT, which is focused on the use, research and advancement of the Internet and related ICT technology in the Pacific for socio-economic development, ICT4D and breaching the Digital Divide.
Singh also organised and chaired a Workshop at the inaugural Internet Governance Forum (IGF) Athens 2006 on ICTs to Achieve MDGs. More information on the workshop is available here . He was appointed an Internet Society (ISOC) Ambassador to the IGF Rio 2007 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and was involved with several workshops. At IGF 2008 in Hyderabad, India he was a panellist in the main Access session where he offered comments on reaching the next billions of Internet users. He was also a panelist in workshops during IGF 2009 in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt.
He was a member of the ICT group for the 2003 South Pacific Games Organising Committee.
Since 2002, he has participated in the organisation of PacINET, the annual PICISOC conference and served as the Conference Chair in 2005 and 2006, as well as the Chair of the Papers Committee. More recently he has been involved in the organisation of the Internet Society's INET series of conferences in Asia
Affiliations and positions
- Partner, Bristol Capital (2009–present)
- Head, Regional Bureau for Asia, Internet Society (2008–present)
- Consultant, UN APCICT (2007–present)
- Internet Society (ISOC) Ambassador to IGF Rio 2007
- Co-Founder and Chief Operating Officer at Avonsys (2007–present)
- Chief Operating Officer at PATARA (2006–present)
- Principal, RDS Holdings (1996–present)
- Director, Patara Asia Pacific (1995–present)
- Chair of ICANN's Asia Pacific Regional At-Large Organisation (APRALO) (2007–2008)
- Chairman of the Pacific Islands Chapter of the Internet Society PICISOC (2005–2008)
- President of IPv6 Forum Pacific Islands IPv6ForumPacificIslands (2006–present)
- Director of Pacific Internet Technology Centre pacificIT (2006–present)
- Co-ordinator of IGF Dynamic Coalition on Access and Connectivity for Remote, Rural and Dispersed Communities
- Founding Member and Steering Committee Member of UNDP/APDIP International Open Source Network (IOSN) Open Source Centre of Excellence in the Pacific Islands (IOSN-PIC)
- Member of the Council of Regional Organisations of the Pacific ICT Working Group (2005–2008)
- Member of the Fiji Telecommunications Standards Advisory Council
- Member of IEEE (1992–present)
- Member of IEEE Standards Association Balloting Group
- Member of Institute of Engineers, Australia (1993–present)
- Member of InternetNZ
- Member of ISOC
- Pew Internet & American Life Project report on Future of the Internet
- Internet Governance Forum Information page on Dynamic Coalitions
- "Avonsys company information". Avonsys.com. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "LinkedIn profile". Linkedin.com. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "ISOC staff and advisors". Isoc.org. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- Public Profile on Linkedin
- "Un Apcict Team". Unapcict.org. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "Academy of ICT Essentials for Government Leaders". Unapcict.org. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- PATARA sponsors South Pacific Games 2003 and provides Information & Communications Technology for a "Smart Games"
- Pacific Magazine article on SPG 2003
- "APNIC 27". Meetings.apnic.net. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- Embed Video Subscribe to comments Post Comment. "PacINET 2008". Slideshare.net. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "IGF 2006". Apc.org. 15 November 2007. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- PTC 2007[dead link]
- AP STAR Retreat Malaysia 2010
- "eIndia 2009". Eindia.net.in. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "World Cyber Security Summit Seminar 2008". Rnd.domainregistry.my. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "Telecom Asia 2008". Isoc.org. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "Dopplr travel stats for Rajnesh Singh". Dopplr.com. 13 September 2007. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "APRALO Officers". St.icann.org. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- Current PICISOC Board
- news.vu article Fijians head Internet Society
- Introductory Message from Rajnesh D. Singh, IPv6 Forum Pacific Islands Founding President[dead link]
- Pacific Internet Technology Centre website
- IGF 2006 Workshop on pacificit.org
- ISOC at IGF 2006[dead link]
- IGF 2006 Meeting Schedule
- "ISOC Press Release on IGF Rio Ambassadors". Isoc.org. 12 November 2007. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "IGF Rio Schedule". Intgovforum.org. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "Main Access session Panel IGF 2008". Intgovforum.org. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "Singh: Reaching the next billions". Isoc.org. 4 December 2008. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "Internet Society (ISOC) – ISOC ath the IGF 2008 in Hyderabad, India". ISOC. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- UNDP-APDIP establishes New Open Source Centres of Excellence
- PacINET Conference Information
- "INET Hong Kong". Isoc.org. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "INET Delhi". Isoc.org. 17 September 2009. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- "INET Kuala Lumpur". Isoc.org. 20 July 2009. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- CROP ICT Working Group Meeting Report
- Corrigendum to IEEE 802.16e-2005
- Pacific Islands Chapter information on Internet Society website