|The factual accuracy of parts of this article (those related to article) may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (March 2010)|
Map of Rajshahi Division
|• Total||18,153.08 km2 (7,008.94 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 census)|
|• Density||1,000/km2 (2,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BST (UTC+6)|
Rajshahi Division (Bengali: রাজশাহী বিভাগ) is one of the seven administrative divisions of Bangladesh. It has an area of 18,174.4 km² and a population at the 2011 Census of 18,329,000 (preliminary figures). Rajshahi Division consists of 8 districts, 70 Upazilas (the next lower administrative tier) and 1,092 Unions (the lowest administrative tier). This division is characterized by its cheap labour force. It has an excellent rail and road communication infrastructure. The divisional capital of Rajshahi is only six-seven hours road journey away from Dhaka, the capital city.
Until 2010 this Division comprised 16 districts, but early in that year it was divided into two, when a new Division (Rangpur Division) was formed out of the 8 northerly districts that until then had been part of Rajshahi Division. Rajshahi was dominated by various Rajas, Maharajas and Zamindars.
Rajshahi division is in the mid western corner of Bangladesh. The famous river Padma borders Rajshahi division on the south and another famous river, Jamuna, lies across the eastern border. In the West, Rajshahi division shares a border with India.
Districts of Rajshahi
The major cities of Rajshahi division are Rajshahi, Joypurhat, Bogra and Pabna. Rajshahi has an airport, with daily flights to Dhaka; however at present the government has suspended the air service between Rajshahi and Dhaka.
The major educational institutes in Rajshahi are University of Rajshahi (RU), Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology (RUET), Rajshahi Medical College (RMC), Shaheed Ziaur Rahman Medical College,Bogra, Joypurhat Girls Cadet College,Joypurhat, Rajshahi College, Azizul Haq College, Bogra, Edward College, Pabna (under National University), Pabna University of Science and Technology, Ramdew Bazla Government High School, Joypurhat.
The University of Rajshahi (established 1953) is the second largest university of Bangladesh with around 50 disciplines and 6 institutes.
Rajshahi is a well known tourist destination within Bangladesh, with there being many interesting landmarks.
Notable places include:
- Sompur Bihar, a large Buddhist monastery.
- Varendra Research Museum in Rajshahi is one of the foremost museums specializing in history of ancient Bengal.
- Mohasthangar, home to archaeological sites of Hindu, Buddhist and Muslim periods.
- Shishu Uddan, Joypurhat.
- Asranga & Nandail Dighi, Joypurhat.
- Puthia Temple Complex and Palaces, the palaces of old Jamidars, some Kilometers drive from Rajshahi city.
- Bagha Mosque, in Bagha thana of Rajshahi District.
- Lokma Rajbari, Joypurhat.
- Dighapatia Palace, palace of the famous Queen of Dighapatia, located in Natore district.
- Baro Shibaloy, Joypurhat.
- Kushumba Mosque, Naogaon.
- Shona Mosque, Chapai Nawabgonj
- Chalan Beel, the largest water body in Bangladesh, spreading in Natore and Pabna districts.
Rajshahi is well known for its fruit, particularly for mango and lichi. Rajshahi also produces a lot of vegetables like potato, carrot, rice, onion etc. Joypurhat is second in the ranking of producing potato.
Notable Persons by Born
- Abdul Hamid Khan Bhashani
- Manzoor Alam Beg
- Montazur Rahman Akbar
- Mushfiqur Rahim
- Partha Pratim Majumder
- Samson H. Chowdhury
- Zahid Hasan
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Rajshahi Division.|
|West Bengal, India||Dhaka Division|
- AmaderRajshahi.com, All about Rajshahi. ~ AmaderRajshahi.com
- RajshahiBazaar.com, Rajshahi Online Shop. Ecommerce at Rajshahi, Bangladesh ~ RajshahiBazaar.com
- E-Rajshahi, An online portal for information and government services managed by Rajshahi City Corporation
- Digitech valley , Web Design and Development Company In Rajshahi
- Rajshahi IT Center, Web Design And Development Training Center In Rajshahi