Raju Narayana Swamy
|Raju Narayana Swamy|
24 May 1968 |
Changanassery, Kottayam, Kerala, India
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Technology Madras|
Raju Narayana Swamy (born 24 May 1968) is an officer in the Indian Administrative Service. Now he is the Secretary to Government, General Administration (Sainik Welfare), Kerala. He was until January 2013, the Commissioner of the Civil Supplies Department of Kerala before being allegedly removed for exposing corruption.
Early life and education
He was born in a middle class Iyer family from Changanassery. His father, who was mathematics teacher, played a key role in shaping him up. His mother was a college professor. In August 2011, he was awarded a doctorate degree by Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
After the V. S. Achuthanandan led LDF government came into power in Kerala, Narayana Swamy was appointed as the collector of Idukki district and was given charge of Munnar land evacuations. During his investigations, he inquired into an alleged illegal land deal by the son and daughter of the then public works minister T. U. Kuruvilla who had to resign over the issue. He also proceeded against the former minister P. J. Joseph and his relatives regarding their alleged illegal landholdings.
Swamy's work has even strained the relationship with his family. His father-in-law who was a contractor, blocked off a public road to a poor neighbourhood of Scheduled Castes to wall up land for himself. But Swamy who was the local SDM, called the police and carried out the demolition.
Swamy has 25 books to his credit. He won the Kerala Sahitya Akademi award for a travelogue, Santhimantram Muzhangunna Thazvarayil. His other works include Niram Mangiya Vazhithara, which is a translation of The Road of Lost Innocence, the English version of the French memoirs by Somaly Mam.
He was one of the recipients of the fourth IRDS awards for public service, awarded by the Lucknow based Institute for Research and Documentation in Social Sciences (IRDS).
- "Fellowship for IAS officer". The Hindu. 2013-12-02. Retrieved 2014-02-02.
- "Kay People – Sanik Welfare Kerala". Retrieved 2014-02-02.
- Assary, Gilvester (2013-11-05). "Swamy to attend Paris course on fighting corruption". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 2014-02-02.
- Assery, Gilvester (2013-05-04). "Set a goal, work hard: 1991 topper". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "Steady and Stoic". The New Indian Express. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- "Convocation ’11 for Graduating Students". Retrieved 5 January 2013.
- "Raju Narayanaswamy assumes charge". The Hindu. 2007-10-06. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- Rajeev, P. (2007-09-04). "Raju Narayanaswamy, IIT, IAS, Kerala’s clean-up officer". Indian Express. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- Pradeep, K. (2010-07-01). "‘Principles' of writing; of living too". The Hindu. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- "प्रिंट में सन्नी हुन्दल एवं इलेक्ट्रानिक मीडिया में सिमरन सेठी को आईआरडीएस अवार्ड". Badas4Media (in Hindi). 11 Feb 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-24.
|This article needs additional or more specific categories. (January 2013)|