The Rt Rev Edward Ralph Johnson, DD, LLD, MA was an eminent Anglican priest in the second half of the 19th century.
He was born in 1828, educated at Wadham College, Oxford and ordained in 1850. His first post was a curacy in Farnborough, Warwickshire  after which he was a Minor Canon at Chester Cathedral. He was Rector of Northenden and then collated Archdeacon of Chester in 1871 before being elevated to the Episcopate as Bishop of Calcutta in 1876 and Metropolitan of India. He retired in 1898 and died on September 11, 1912.
- ^ The Times, Saturday, Nov 11, 1876; pg. 10; Issue 28784; col F University Intelligence. Oxford
- ^ The Times, Thursday, May 14, 1863; pg. 7; Issue 24558; col F University Intelligence. Oxford, May 13.
- ^ "The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory" London, John Phillips, 1900
- ^ Anglican History
- ^ "Who was Who" 1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X.
- ^ The Times, Saturday, Oct 01, 1898; pg. 8; Issue 35636; col B Ecclesiastical Intelligence
- ^ The Times, Friday, Sep 13, 1912; pg. 7; Issue 40003; col C Bishop E. R. Johnson.