|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
|Directed by||Subhash Ghai|
|Produced by||Subhash Ghai|
|Written by||Ram Kelkar|
|Edited by||Waman Guru|
|Distributed by||Mukta Arts|
|Release dates||January 27, 1989|
|Running time||174 Min.|
Ram Lakhan is a Bollywood movie released in 1989. It was produced and directed by Subhash Ghai and had an ensemble cast, including Anil Kapoor, Jackie Shroff, Madhuri Dixit, Dimple Kapadia and Raakhee.
Sharda (Raakhee) is happily married in an rich aristocratic household to Thakur Pratap Singh (Dalip Tahil) and is the mother to two young boys. Thakur Pratap Singh's father shows mercy to his nephews Bhishamber (Amrish Puri) and Bhanu (Paresh Rawal) after they serve jail time for siphoning the family wealth and stealing within the household and whiling away their time - drinking and gambling. Sr. Thakur (Lahiri Singh) is tricked into signing a will that deprives his son, daughter-in-law and two children from the ancestral wealth and the right to even live in the manor's premises.
Sr. Thakur is then killed off in a car bomb and when Thakur Pratap Singh refuses to bow down to cruel Bhishamber Nath after finding out their masterplan and after his wife is humiliated publicly by then, he is severely beaten up, stabbed brutally, and left on a nearby railway track to be cut to pieces by the next passing train, leaving behind his widowed wife who, Sharda, and two young sons, Ram and Lakhan. Sharda who witnesses the whole scene vows to avenge the death of her husband, and hopes she will achieve this by visiting the temple everyday - praying for justice. She talks about the day when her sons grow up and ultimately destroy their father's assailants, and it is then and then only will she disperse her husband's ashes.
The evil duo Bhishamber and Bhanu exploit and enjoy the family's riches. Those sons grow into the upstanding police officer Ram (Jackie Shroff) and the easily tempted dreamer, smart talker and street procession dancer Lakhan (Anil Kapoor). If the family is to be avenged, Ram will have to lead his brother away from the path of corruption he's strayed onto to make quick money and protect him from the influence of Bhanu and Bhishamber.
Years later, Ram is now the Police Inspector and is a major obstacle in Bhishamber's illegal activities while Lakhan is the fun-loving, wanna be quick millionaire, precocious young man, still living in his brother's shadow and mother's love for him. Ram also has an affair with the Commissioner's daughter, Geeta (Dimple Kapadia) and is constantly teased by his younger brother for not coming out in the open with it.
When Lakhan finds out that there is a big reward for the capture and arrest of notorious gangster Kesariya Vilayti, he single-handedly captures him and claims the reward. Thinking police work is quite simple and easy, he applies for the job, completes his training and also becomes a police inspector like his brother. He also seeks to use this to woo his childhood sweetheart Radha (Madhuri Dixit) and deal with her stingy, eccentric but easily fooled and well-meaning father Deodhar Shastri (Anupam Kher).
Satisfied that her sons have chosen the right path, Sharda goes on a religious pilgrimage to pray for their unity. When she returns she finds that nothing is the same anymore, Ram and Lakhan have quarreled and no longer speak with each other based on their ideological differences and because Lakhan uses his power to help smugglers and make extra bucks in an attempt at raising his clout so he can exact revenge against the evil Bhishamber and Bhanu. Ram continues to live in a their older family home, while Lakhan has moved into a spacious bungalow, supposedly bought through bribes and black deals. While Ram continues to create obstacles for Bhishamber, Lakhan has now joined Bhishamber's gang and is on their pay-roll.
However, after Lakhan is tricked by Bhishamber and the ruthless, womanising and dastardly Sir John, Ram has to come to terms and save his little brother and finish what was once started.
- Anil Kapoor ... Inspector Lakhan Pratap Singh
- Jackie Shroff ... Inspector Ram Pratap Singh
- Raakhee ... Mrs. Sharda Pratap Singh
- Madhuri Dixit ... Radha Shastri
- Dimple Kapadia ... Geeta Kashyap
- Gulshan Grover ... Kesariya Vilayati, 'Bad Man'
- Amrish Puri ... Bhishambar Nath
- Paresh Rawal ... Bhanu Nath
- Anupam Kher ... Deodhar Shastri
- Saeed Jaffrey ... Police Commissioner Arun Kashyap
- Raza Murad ... Sir John
- Dalip Tahil ... Thakur Pratap Singh
- Annu Kapoor ... Shiv Charan Mathur
- Sonika Gill ... Vivienne
- Anand Balraj ... Debu
- Mukri ... Dhondu Nai
- Lalita Kumari ... Mrs. Bhishamber Nath
- Subhash Ghai ... Man singing on a motorcycle
- Satish Kaushik ... Kanshiram
- Lahiri Singh ... Father of Thakur Pratap Singh
|1||My Name Is Lakhan||Mohammad Aziz, Anuradha Paudwal, Nitin Mukesh||07:10|
|2||Tere Naam Liya||Manhar Udhas, Anuradha Paudwal||05:58|
|3||Main Hoon Hero||Mohammad Aziz, Amit Kumar, Alisha Chinai||09:07|
|4||Bada Dukh Dina O Ramji||Lata Mangeshkar||06:04|
|5||Mere Do Anmol Ratan||Mohammad Aziz, Kavita Krishnamurthy||05:17|
|6||Bekhabar Bewafa||Anuradha Paudwal||10:00|
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress - Raakhee
- Filmfare Award for Best Performance in a Comic Role - jointly awarded to Anupam Kher and Satish Kaushik
- Filmfare Award for Best Film - Subhash Ghai
- Filmfare Award for Best Director - Subhash Ghai
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor - Satish Kaushik
- Filmfare Award for Best Music Director - Laxmikant Pyarelal
- Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer - Mohammed Aziz - My Name is Lakhan
- Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer - Anuradha Paudwal - Tera Naam Liya
- This movie was a hit in India, especially some of its songs. One particular song that was quite popular was "My Name is Lakhan".
- This is one of many movies that Jackie Shroff and Anil Kapoor were in. Their collaboration in movies made them quite the hit duo. This may have to do with them being young, dynamic actors who started out around the same time. They were also known for their robust mustaches, which was not something actors kept. This also differentiated them from the crowd of stars.
- This was also one of many movies in which Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit were paired opposite each other.
- Some of the most famous villains of the late 80's-early 90's were present in this movie: Amrish Puri, Gulshan Grover, Paresh Rawal and Anupam Kher (for a short period of time in the film)
- Lahiri Singh, Who played Dadaji's role in Indian television's first soap opera Hum Log (TV series)(1984) plays Dilip Tahil's Father in this Film.