Ram Sewak Sharma
|Ram Sewak Sharma|
|Born||1955 (age 58–59)|
|Occupation||Director General, UIDAI|
Ram Sewak Sharma (born 1955) is an Indian bureaucrat. He is the Director General of Unique Identification Authority of India(UIDAI), the organization responsible for issuing national Identification numbers to all Indian citizens. He belongs to the 1978 batch of the Indian Administrative Service.
Born in a small village of Uttar Pradesh, he completed his early education from schools near his village. He, thereafter joined University of Allahabad where he completed his bachelor of Science (BSc) in 1974. In 1976, he completed his masters in Mathematics from IIT, Kanpur. Later, in 2000, he left and went for study, doing his Masters in Computer Science from University of California, Riverside.
Ram Sewak Sharma joined the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) in 1978. In 1986, he wrote a program in DBASE, a programming language that would keep a record of all stolen firearms in the crime-prone district. As soon as a firearm would be found, the programme would run a search query among thousands of age-old records. Together, they impressed the state government, by solving 22 cases in just 30 days.
- Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration - 2008
- Chief Secretary, Government of Jharkhand
- Director General, UIDAI (2009–2013)
- Jharkhand’s Principal Secretary (Public Health and Engineering)
- Secretary IT, Human Resource Development, Panchayati Raj, Personnel and Drinking Water & Sanitation.
- Principal Secretary to the Governor from January 1, 2003 to June 11, 2003.
- Deputy Development Commissioner in Saharsa
- District Collector in Begusarai, Purnea and Dhanbad
- Joint Secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs of the Ministry of Finance
- Nodal Officer for the IMF, MIGA and GEF.
- Prasad, Manoj (July 15, 2009). "Nilekani’s CEO: IITian IAS officer who brought e-govt to Jharkhand". The Indian Express (Ranchi). Retrieved April 01, 2013.
- Jain, Akshai (January 1, 2010). "Ram Sewak Sharma | A different drummer". Mint. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- Julka, Harsimran (July 20, 2010). "UID will give mobile identity to people". The Economic Times. Retrieved April 01, 2013.