|Also known as||Ramasutra, DJ Ram|
Ramachandra Borcar is a Montreal-born musician and composer of mixed Indian and Danish background. He is also known under the monikers Ramasutra and DJ Ram.
His extensive musical career includes work as a film composer, performer, studio producer and founder of both Semprini Records and Signed By Force record labels. After studying classical composition, orchestration and electro-acoustic music at McGill University, he went on to create scores for film, television, documentaries, commercials and the theatre.
Under the name Ramasutra, he released his self-produced debut album The East Infection in 1999 for which he won a Félix Award in 2000 (amongst three nominations including "Best Arranger"), two Mimi Awards for "Album of the Year" and "Best Live Show", and a Juno Award nomination for "Best Alternative Album". He followed it up with El Pipo Del Taxi in 2003 that won him a Mimi award for "Best Producer".
Under his full name and on his own label, Semprini Records, he released the score for the award winning documentary by Joseph Hillel and Patrick Demers entitled Regular or Super (2004), as "Steel and Glass".
Ram's career as a film composer includes numerous features, shorts and documentaries including Soft Shell Man ("Un crabe dans la tete") (2001) - for which he won a Jutra Award in 2002, Camping Sauvage (2004), Familia (2005), Bombay Calling (2005), Karsh Is History (2009) - for which he was nominated for a Gemini Award in 2010  and Patrick Demers' critically acclaimed debut Jaloux (2011) for which he earned a Genie Award nomination in 2012 for "Best Original Score". He also composed the opening theme music for Nicolas Roeg's Puffball (2008). His television work includes the ten part series Web Dreams, themes for Tout Le Monde En Parle, Casting, Women Warriors, Comme Par Magie - for which he was nominated for a Prix Gémaux award in 2010  and commercials for Mercedes-Benz, Toyota and Cadbury.
In 2011, Borcar composed film scores for Goon, directed by Michael Dowse and starring Liev Schreiber, Marc-André Grondin, Jay Baruchel, Seann William Scott and Alison Pill; the Belgian-Quebec co-production Un nuage dans un verre d'eau directed by Srinath Samarasinghe and starring Anamaria Marinca, and "The American Tiger" - a David Suzuki The Nature of Things documentary. He also scored the music for the NFB's animated short Paula, by Dominic-Étienne Simard, which won "Best Animated Short" at the Canadian Screen Awards and earned Borcar the "Award for Music in Film" at Poland's Animatòr Film Festival.
In 2012, Ram composed the original music for the trailer of Martin Villeneuve's science fiction film Mars et Avril; wrote the music for the NFB's ambitious interactive site Here At Home' ; completed the full score for orchestra for Manon Briand's feature-film Liverpool and wrote the original score for Yan Lanouette Turgeon's debut feature film Roche Papier Ciseaux starring Roy Dupuis, released in February 2013.
In 2013, Ram wrote the original music for Nickelodeon's TV feature Nicky Deuce - considered a "Sopranos Reunion" and starring James Gandolfini, Tony Sirico, Michael Imperioli, Vincent Curatola, Rita Moreno and Steve Schirripa (writer and director). He also completed the full score for orchestra of Stefan Miljevic's Amsterdam; the full score for Jean-Sebastien Lord's L'Ange Gardien, starring Guy Nadon, and the original music for Bruce La Bruce's upcoming Gerontophilia, starring Katie Boland, Pier-Gabriel Lajoie and Walter Borden.
Ram's production work includes not only his personal albums and soundtracks but other artists as well. In 2005 he produced debut albums for the Brazilian funk band Gaia, the indo-jazz outfit Catherine Potter's Duniya Project, Bulgarian gypsy band Kaba Horo and the Montreal tex-mex electro duo Call Me Poupee and Voivod.
Awards & Nominations
- 2013 Animatòr Festival "Award for Music in Film" (Paula)
- 2012 Genie Award nomination for "Best Original Score" (Jaloux)
- 2010 Gemini Award nomination for "Best Original Score" (Karsh Is History)
- 2010 Prix Gémaux nomination for "Best Original Theme" (Comme Par Magie)
- 2007 Juno Award for Kaba Horo "Best World Music Album" (Album Production)
- 2005 Grafica Prize for "Best CD Artwork" (Steel And Glass)
- 2003 Grafica Prize for "Best CD Artwork" (El Pipo Del Taxi)
- 2003 Mimi Award for "Best Producer" (El Pipo Del Taxi)
- 2002 Jutras Award for "Best Original Film Score" (J'ai Un Crabe Dans La Tete)
- 2001 Mimi Award for "Best Live Show"
- 2000 Juno Award nomination for "Best Alternative Album" (The East Infection)
- 2000 Felix Award (amongst three nominations) for "Best Urban Album" (The East Infection)
- 2000 Mimi Award for "Best Album" (The East Infection)
Performer, composer & arranger
|Ramasutra||The East Infection||1999||Tox|
|Ramasutra||El Pipo Del Taxi EP||2003||Semprini Records|
|Ramachandra Borcar||Camping Sauvage (Original Soundtrack)||2004||Canusa|
|Ramachandra Borcar||Steel And Glass (Original Soundtrack)||2005||Semprini Records|
|Ramachandra Borcar||Jaloux (Original Soundtrack)||2011||Semprini Records|
|Ramachandra Borcar||Roche Papier Ciseaux (Original Soundtrack)||2013||Semprini Records|
|Catherine Potter||Duniya Project||Producer||2005||SHADAJ|
|Lubo Alexandrov||Kaba Horo||Producer||2005||ENJA|
|Call Me Poupée||Western Shanghai||Producer||2006||Semprini Records|
- Montreal mIrror about "The East Infection"
- official release about "El Pipo Del Taxi"
- about Mimi award Nomination
- about "Regular or Super"
- Montreal Mirror about "Regular or Super" and "Steel and Glass"
- Information about "Steel And Glass"
- NFB page and credits on Bombay Calling
- about Gemini nomination
- About Jaloux
- About 2012 Genie nomination for Jaloux
- about Gemaux nomination
- About Goon
- About "Un nuage"
- "Duniyan Project" information
- "Kaba Horo" information
- Semprini Records Official site
- Signed By Force Official site
- Ramachandra Borcar at the Internet Movie Database