Ramachandran Balasubramanian (born March 15, 1951) is an Indian mathematician and is the Director of the Institute of Mathematical Sciences in Chennai, India. He is known for his work in number theory, which includes settling the final g(4) case of Waring's problem in 1986.
His works on moments of Riemann zeta function is highly appreciated and he was a plenary speaker from India at ICM in 2010. He was a visiting scholar at the Institute for Advanced Study in 1980-81.
Awards and honours
He has received the following awards:
- The Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology in 1990.
- The French government's Ordre National du Mérite for "furthering Indo-French cooperation in the field of mathematics" in 2003.
- The Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award in India, in 2006.
- Fellow of the American Mathematical Society, 2012.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award, 2013 awarded by Manmohan Singh, the Prime Minister of India.
- Balasubramanian, Ramachandran; Deshouillers, Jean-Marc; Dress, François, Problème de Waring pour les bicarrés. I. Schéma de la solution. (French. English summary) [Waring's problem for biquadrates. I. Sketch of the solution] C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris Sér. I Math. 303 (1986), no. 4, pp. 85-88
- Balasubramanian, Ramachandran; Deshouillers, Jean-Marc; Dress, François, Problème de Waring pour les bicarrés. II. Résultats auxiliaires pour le théorème asymptotique. (French. English summary) [Waring's problem for biquadrates. II. Auxiliary results for the asymptotic theorem] C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris Sér. I Math. 303 (1986), no. 5, pp. 161-163
- "Community of Scholars Profile: Balasubramanian, R.". Institute for Advanced Study. Retrieved September 27, 2012.
- "French honour mathematician Balasubramanian". The Times Of India. 5 February 2003.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2012-11-03.
- Ramachandran Balasubramanian at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- R. Balasubramian's homepage
- His CV