|Dr. Raman Singh|
|Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh|
7 December 2003
|Preceded by||Ajit Jogi|
|Union Minister of State Commerce and Industry|
13 December 1999 – 29 January 2003
15 October 1952 |
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Children||Abhishek Singh, Asmita Singh|
|Residence||Civil Lines, Raipur [Cg.] 492001|
|As of 10 November, 2013
Raman Singh was born on 15 October 1952. He comes from a Rajput family, his father being Vighnaharan Singh Thakur and his mother, Sudha Singh. He is a doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine and is married to Veena Singh.
He was elected to Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly consecutively in 1990 and 1993. In 1999 he was elected to the 13th Lok Sabha from the Rajnandgaon constituency in Chhattisgarh. In the government of Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Singh became the Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry from 1999 to 2003. He was later named as President of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the new state of Chhattisgarh, and led the party to a victory in the 2003 state Assembly elections. With the other main contender for the Chief Minister's post, Dilip Singh Judeo, caught in the midst of a scam, the BJP leadership named Raman Singh as Chhattisgarh's second Chief Minister, and the first person to be elected to that post.
He has received praise for his organizational abilities, as reflected in his state's position with regard to implementation of a programme to improve the conditions of Scheduled Tribes and Scheduled Castes. The United Nations has also recognised the work done in Chhattisgarh under his leadership and the fiscal management of the state is another aspect for which he is known.
He banned naxalite organisations in Chhattisgarh in 2005 under the "Salwa Judum" initiative, a move supported by the opposition party as well, led by Mahendra Karma who was assassinated by naxalites on 25 May 2013. Singh was sworn in for his second term on December 12, 2008. On 8th dec 2013 he has been re elected as the chief minister of the state.
He successfully won election 2013 for his 3rd tenure as a CM of Chhattisgarh.
- "Biodata: Dr. Raman Singh" (pdf). Government of Chhattisgarh. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Romesh Thapar. Seminar: the monthly symposium: Issues 533-544. p. 38. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Chhibber, Devika. "Chhattisgarh: CMs in the wings". Zee News. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "Governor invites Raman Singh". The Hindu. 6 December 2003. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Gupta, Smita (29 May 2013). "Congress to train its guns on Raman Singh". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "CHHATTISGARH: Raman's clean image helped BJP". IBN Live. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Dr Raman Singh official website
- Official Facebook
- Official Twitter
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Profile
|Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh
7 December 2003 – present