Ramayapatnam Port was shortlisted as a new major port to be built at Ramayapatnam in the Prakasam District of Andhra Pradesh. However, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs at the Government of India on May 9, 2013, has decided to set up the second major port at Dugarajapatnam in Nellore District. It will be the second major port in Andhra Pradesh after the Visakhapatnam Port. Ramayapatnam was shortlisted as the site for the new port from three locations that also included Nakkapalli in Visakhapatnam district and Duggarajupatnam in Nellore district. Initially, Ramayapatnam Port was proposed as India's fourteenth major port. Like the Ennore Port, Ramayapatnam Port will be set up under the Companies Act, 1956 and not the Major Port Trusts Act, 1963. Ramayapatnam is one of two new ports that are to be set up by the Government of India along India's east coast, the other being at Sagar Island in West Bengal.
The construction of the port is to be undertaken through a special purpose vehicle to be set up for the purpose. The Government of Andhra Pradesh will have 11% equity in the project. The National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) will be the majority stakeholder in the Port while the Visakhapatnam Port Trust (VPT) and fertilizers cooperative IFFCO will be other minority stakeholders.
Ramayapatnam Port will involve an initial investment of 8,000 crores. A major port and an integrated shipyard will come up simultaneously at Ramayapatnam. In its first phase, the port will have a cargo handling capacity of 30 million tonnes and have six berths. The project envisages the construction of a harbour, with six berths to handle cargo,and ship building and breaking facilities and also have a fishing harbour. The port will come up on 5000 acres of land including 1200 acres of private land. Around 2200 people across eight hamlets will be displaced as a result of the project and it will cost 420 crores for their compensation, relief and rehabilitation.
The Government of Andhra Pradesh has also proposed the establishment of a National Manfacturing and Investment Zone (NMIZ) at Ramayapatnam besides at Chittoor and Medak. The NMIZ at Ramayapatnam area would come up in an area of 5000 acres.
- "Ramayapatnam picked for new major port". HT MInt. Sep 15, 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Second major port at Ramayapatnam". The Hindu. October 12, 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Ramayapatnam port to come up with 11 p.c. equity". The Hindu. September 22, 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "NMDC to pick up majority stake in Andhra Pradesh's new port". The Economic Times. November 2, 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Ramayapatnam likely to be 2nd big port in state". CNN IBN. September 5, 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Three manufacturing zones proposed in Andhra Pradesh". November 30, 2012. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- Port Work to Begin in 2013: http://ramayapatnam.com/ramayapatnam-port-work-to-start-next-year/