Saari studied Semitic and Uralic languages at the Universities of Helsinki, Budapest and Jerusalem. He did his PhD in linguistics at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. His doctoral thesis, "Maltese Prepositions", was published in 2003 by Carmel Publishing House.
The author has published seven of his own poetry books and translated several dozen books of prose and poetry, from Albanian, Catalan, Estonian, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Portuguese and Spanish. In 2002-2006, Saari was the national editor of the Israeli pages of the Poetry International website. Saari has won several Israeli literature awards.
Since 2003 lives and works mostly in several different places.
Awards and honors
- In 1996 and 2003, Saari was awarded the Prime Minister’s Prize for Literature.
- In 2006, he received the Tchernichovsky Prize for exemplary translation.
- In 2010, he was awarded the Asraf Prize of the Academy of the Hebrew Language for his contribution to the enrichment of Hebrew literature.
- Behold, I've Found My Home (poetry), Alef, 1988 [Hine, macáti et bejtí]
- Men at the Crossroad (poetry), Sifriat Poalim, 1991 [Gvarím ba cómet]
- The Path of Bold Pain (poetry), Schocken, 1997 [Maslúl ha keév ha noáz]
- The Book of Life (poetry), Hakibbutz Hameuchad, 2001 [Ha séfer ha xaj]
- So Much, So Much War (poetry), Hakibbutz Hameuchad, 2002 [Káma, káma milxamá]
- The Maltese Prepositions (doctoral thesis), Carmel, 2003 [Milót ha jáxas ha Maltézijot]
- The Fifth Shogun (poetry), Hakibbutz Hameuchad, 2005 [Ha šogun ha xamiší]
- Rings of the Years (poetry), Hakibbutz Hameuchad, 2008 [Tab'ót ha šaním]
- Introduction to Sexual Linguistics (poetry), Carmel, 2013 [Mavó le-valshanút minít]
- "A head in 1,001 places, a body in one". Haaretz. March 26, 2012. Retrieved March 27, 2012.
- Institute for the Translation of Hebrew Literature
- http://library.osu.edu/projects/hebrew-lexicon/00198 Modern Hebrew Literature
- http://israel.poetryinternationalweb.org/piw_cms/cms/cms_module/index.php?obj_id=7238&x=1 Israeli domain at Poetry International
- http://www.israel-sheli.info/rami_saari.htm Israel Sheli - A Catalan web-site about Israel
- http://www.haaretz.com/culture/arts-leisure/a-head-in-1-001-places-a-body-in-one-1.420744 - An interview with the poet and translator