|Motto||As a candle gives light, Ramkhamhaeng guides your way|
|Type||Public, open university|
|President||Assoc. Prof. Kim Chaisansook|
|Colors||Blue and Gold|
Ramkhamhaeng University (Thai: มหาวิทยาลัยรามคำแหง) is one of two open universities in Thailand. The university was named in honour of King Ramkhamhaeng the Great of Sukhothai, who traditionally is credited for creating the Thai alphabet.
Before the establishment of Ramkhamhaeng University in 1971, Thailand had what has been described as "a crisis in the quest for higher education", since the number of high school graduates seeking competitive place in the government universities far outnumbered the capacity of all universities combined. Parliament finally passed a law authorizing the establishment of Ramkhamhaeng University, the kingdom's first open-admission university.
The university is composed of the Faculties of Law, Business Administration, Humanities, Education, Science, Political Science, Economics, Engineering, and Education Technology. The Faculty of Engineering admits a limited number of students, while other faculties are open to anyone who wishes to enrol.
Ramkhamhaeng University has two major campuses, both located in Bangkok. Freshman classes are held at Bang Na campus in Phra Khanong District. Most others classes are conducted at the main campus at Hua Mak, Bang Kapi District.
- To provide equality in higher education throughout the country, leading to higher quality of life and concerns for the environment.
- To provide higher quality graduates with significant professional knowledge.
- To produce graduates with high ethics, creative ideas, exemplary leadership and skills necessary to assist in the country's development.
- To develop an effective university management system, with emphasis on efficiency and quality, and effective staff relationships in conjunction with other universities, educational institutes, and communities.
- To promote Thai's cultural development, customs and art.
- To develop and transfer technology, support and apply new technology in such a way as to be compatible with indigenous knowledge.
- Ramkhamhaeng University concentrates on developing graduates who have both professional knowledge and high ethical standards.
- These graduates will become the future leaders of the country to assist in its sustainable development.
- The university supports research in order to develop technical skills and equality in higher education to all people in both urban and rural areas of Thailand.
- The university intends to become a leading international university and center for education.
- To produce high quality graduates with high ethical standards.
- To develop curricular that is flexible and of international standard both at undergraduate and post graduate levels and also in response to changes in economic, technology, social and cultural change.
- To provide greater quality in education to those in the rural areas of Thailand.
- To support education on the World Wide Web and to exchange information with other universities, government agencies and the private sector both in Thailand and internationally.
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Political Science
- Faculty of Economics
- Graduate School
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Mass Communication Technology
- Ramkhamhaeng University
- Ramkhamhaeng University International Programs
- Information Relations webpage
- International Programs at Thai Universities
- Ramkhamhaeng University Admissions