Ramona and Beezus
|Ramona and Beezus|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Elizabeth Allen|
|Produced by||Denise Di Novi
|Starring||Joey L. King
|Music by||Mark Mothersbaugh|
|Edited by||Jane Moran|
|Distributed by||Fox 2000 Pictures|
Ramona and Beezus is a 2010 Fox-Walden film adaptation of the Ramona series of novels by Beverly Cleary. The film's title derives from Beezus and Ramona, the first of Cleary's Ramona books, though the plot is mostly based on the sequels, particularly Ramona Forever and Ramona's World.
Young third grader Ramona Quimby (Joey King) is climbing the monkey bars along with her best friend Howie (Jason Spevack). Ramona echoes Howie's name as if she were above the grand canyon. Ramona is frightened, so then she sticks her feet in the bars and lets go. She is now hanging from the bars yelling out for help. Howie then goes to Mrs.Meacham (Sandra Oh) and she then helps Ramona down.
Dorothy Quimby (Briget Monyhan), Ramona's mother, asks Ramona to set the table and add another plate for Aunt Beatrice (Ginnifer Goodwin). Beezus (Selena Gomez), Ramona's older sister then takes Ramona's task and does so herself. Report cards are in and Robert Quimby (John Corbett), Ramona's father, inspects Beezus' card. When he asks Ramona about hers, seems that she hid it in the freezer and hesitantly decides to give it to her father. When Aunt Bea arrives, she finds Ramona sitting on a branch in the backyard. She then asks about her calluses.
The next day at school, Ramona is to describe something of hers that has happened the following week. She says that construction workers came to her home and broke a big hole in the side of her house for a new room. Although this is very true, Mrs. Meacham does not believe her.
The following day, Ramona's father loses his job and they are in debt of their home. Ramona overhears their conversation and decides she's going to sell lemonade. After that mistake, she decides to sell "delishus car wash $20". But that backfires also. After accidentally painting Howie's Uncle Hobart's (Josh Duhamel) jeep, she retires.
Ramona's picture day messes up when she accidentally cracks a raw egg over her head thinking it was hard boiled. Instead of the photographer saying "cheese", he says "peas". Causing Ramona to interrupt with a great big "Ew!" ruining her portrait.
The next day, in Music class, Ramona vomits on the drums. Causing her to be picked up by her father. She then stays at home with Beezus. After trying to make dinner for her parents, the pan sets on fire. Interrupting Beezus on the phone with Henry Huggins (Hutch Dano), Beezus yells at Ramona for always being a little pest and ruining her love life with Henry. Shocked, Ramona questions Beezus that she has a love life. None of them knowing that Henry is still on the phone and overheard their whole conversation. When Ramona goes downstairs to feed her pet cat, Picky-Picky [Quimby], she sees her lying in her place, dead. A frozen Ramona runs upstairs to fetch Beezus and tells her the news. They then hold a private funeral in their backyard.
After months with Hobart, he decides to propose to Aunt Beatrice. She then hesitantly accepts and they kiss passionately leading up to the wedding. Beezus and Henry share a dance, then a kiss. Before they leave off to their Honeymoon in Alaska, Ramona runs outside to Hobart's painted car to give a gift to her Aunt Beatrice, A locket with her school picture in it.
- Joey King as Ramona Quimby
- Selena Gomez as Beezus Quimby
- Hutch Dano as Henry Huggins
- Ginnifer Goodwin as Aunt Bea
- John Corbett as Robert Quimby
- Bridget Moynahan as Dorothy Quimby
- Josh Duhamel as Hobart
- Jason Spevack as Howie Kemp
- Sandra Oh as Mrs. Meacham
- Aila and Zanti McCubbing as Roberta Quimby
- Sierra McCormick as Susan Kushner
- Patti Allan as Mrs. Pitt
- Lynda Boyd as Triplet mother
Ramona and Beezus was released in theaters on July 23, 2010, by 20th Century Fox and Walden Media to 2,719 theaters nationwide, and was rated G by MPAA, becoming the studio's fourth film to be rated G since 1997's Anastasia.
The trailer was released on March 18, 2010, and was shown in theaters along with How to Train Your Dragon, The Last Song, Despicable Me, Toy Story 3, and 20th Century Fox's other films, including Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Marmaduke. The film premiered in New York on July 20, 2010.
It was released in Irish and British cinemas October 22, 2010.
Ramona and Beezus earned generally positive reviews. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 70% of critics have given the film a positive review based on 68 reviews, for an average rating of 6.3/10. Among Rotten Tomatoes' "Top Critics", consisting of notable critics from the top newspapers and websites, the film holds an overall approval rating of 73%, based on a sample of 26 reviews. The film holds a 56 rating on Metacritic, based on 28 reviews. Eric Snider of Film.com said that "The resulting story is a jumble, and there are too many side characters, but golly if it isn't pretty darned infectious." Jason Anderson of the Toronto Star gave Ramona and Beezus a good review, saying that "(Ramona and Beezus) is a lively affair, largely thanks to the sweet and snappy screenplay by Laurie Craig and Nick Pustay and to the appealing performances by the cast."
The film opened at #4 on opening day, grossing under $3 million. It would earn altogether $7.8 million on its opening weekend, earning #6 at the box office. Over its first week, it earned nearly $12.7 million. As of November 20, 2010, its total gross stands at $26,645,939, surpassing its $15 million budget. The film made £84,475 on its first week-end in the UK (information based on the UK film council).
Currently, there is only one confirmed track for the film's soundtrack entitled "Live Like There's No Tomorrow", performed by Selena Gomez & the Scene. The song was digitally released as a soundtrack single on July 13, 2010. The song is also part of the band's second album, A Year Without Rain. It is unknown whether or not there will be a music video. Other songs in the movie, that may be included on the soundtrack, include "A Place in This World" by Taylor Swift, "Say Hey (I Love You)" by Michael Franti & Spearhead, a song from Peter, Paul, and Mary, "Here It Goes Again" by OK Go, a cover of "Walking on Sunshine by Aly & AJ, Eternal Flame by The Bangles and "(Let's Get Movin') Into Action" by Skye Sweetnam featuring Tim Armstrong.
"Live Like There's No Tomorrow"
|"Live Like There's No Tomorrow"|
|Single by Selena Gomez & the Scene|
|from the album Ramona and Beezus & A Year Without Rain|
|Released||July 13, 2010|
|Genre||Pop, Soft rock, Ballad|
|Writer(s)||Matt Bronleewe, Nicky Chinn, Andrew Fromm, Meghan Kabir|
|Selena Gomez & the Scene singles chronology|
"Live Like There's No Tomorrow" was released as a single from the upcoming Ramona and Beezus soundtrack album on July 13, 2010. This is the one confirmed track of the soundtrack thus far. There is currently no music video for the single. It is performed by Selena Gomez & the Scene and also appears on their A Year Without Rain album.
Kim Gillespie of Wiarapa Times-Age included this song in highlights of studio album. Bill Lamb, of About.com, also highlighted it and praised it: "an inspirational ballad that truly does uplift by the end." MusicOMH editor David Welsh wrote a mixed opinion; stating that the song "stumbles upon emotional resonance thanks in no small part to Gomez's most impressive performance to date."
- "Ramona and Beezus - IMDb Credits". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2009-06-22.
- Siegel, Tatiana (July 17, 2010). "Female power pushes 'Ramona'". Variety.
- "Ramona and Beezus (2010)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. February 18, 2011. Retrieved November 1, 2010.
- Vena, Jocelyn."Selena Gomez To Star In 'Ramona and Beezus' Movie." MTV.com, 2009-02-06.
- Kilday, Gregg. "Young actresses cast for 'Beezus and Ramona.'" Reuters, 2009-02-05.
- "Ramona and Beezus (2010)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved July 31, 2010.
- "Rotten Tomatoes FAQ: What is Cream of the Crop". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 7, 2010.
- "Ramona and Beezus (2010)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 27, 2010.
- Ramona and Beezus Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic
- Review: Ramona and Beezus Pleases - Film.com
- Anderson, Jason (July 23, 2010). "Ramona and Beezus: A family film with a dose of reality". The Star (Toronto).
- Daily Box Office for Friday, July 23, 2010 - Box Office Mojo
- Ramona and Beezus (2010) - Weekly Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo
- Live Like There's No Tomorrow (From "Ramona and Beezus") - Single by Selena Gomez & The Scene - Download Live Like There's No Tomorrow (From "Ramona and Beezus") - Single on i...
- Album review by Wairapa Times Retrieved 13 February 2015
- Album review by about.com Retrieved 13 February 2015
- Album Review by MusicOMH Retrieved 13 February 2015
- Official website
- Ramona and Beezus at the Internet Movie Database
- Ramona and Beezus at Box Office Mojo
- Ramona and Beezus at Rotten Tomatoes