Early promotional poster of the film
|Directed by||K. S. Ravikumar|
|Written by||S. Ramakrishnan|
|Screenplay by||K. S. Ravikumar|
|Music by||A. R. Rahman|
|Release date(s)||23 July 2016|
Rana is a delayed historical action film co-written and directed by K. S. Ravikumar starring Rajinikanth, whose story the film will be based upon. Deepika Padukone has been signed on as the female lead. The film will be jointly produced by Ocher Picture Productions and Eros International. The film will feature cinematography by R. Rathnavelu and music composed by A. R. Rahman.
Despite the occurrence of principal photography, which took place on 29 April 2011, casting is still incomplete. During the first schedule of filming, Rajinikanth fell ill on sets and was admitted to hospital for over a month, resulting in an indefinite postponement of filming. Further attempts for the film to continue production throughout the year failed. In April 2014, production on Rana resumed.
After several dates for principal photography to begin were reported, ranging between March and April 2011, it finally began on 29 April 2011 at AVM Studios in Chennai. However, in a turn of events, Rajinikanth became ill and was treated for dehydration and exhaustion at a hospital, after being diagnosed with a mild foodborne illness, resulting in postponment of filming. Following this, Rajinikanth went through subsequent hospital visits, after which he was eventually obliged to be admitted for treatment of an undisclosed form of nephropathy, extensively delaying the commencement of Rana. Following the delay, the team considered making Rana as an animation film but Rajinikanth was insistent that the film would be a live action film and prevented Ravikumar potentially discussing the script with Telugu actor Chiranjeevi. Film producer Murali Manohar then suggested that the animation film could potentially be a sequel to Rana and thus the team began work on Kochadaiiyaan.
Several media reports subsequently emerged, stating that Bollywood actresses Rekha and Vidya Balan were slated to be part of the leading cast. The following month, however, it was reported that Rekha walked out of the project during its pre-production stage after a dispute with the producers about her salary. Balan was also reported to have dropped out of the film after an untimely request to fully view the film's script was turned down. In the meantime, Amitabh Bachchan and Hema Malini were reported to have been signed up for important roles, marking the former's Tamil cinema debut. All reports, however, were finally downplayed by K. S. Ravikumar, stating that no other actor had been signed up, other than Rajinikanth and Padukone, as of March 2011. Ganja Karuppu was signed up the following month as the film's comedian, after the possibility of Vadivelu was turned down due to his controversial participation during the 2011 legislative assembly elections in Tamil Nadu. But, on Rajini's insistence, Vadivelu was brought back into the film.
R. Rathnavelu was specially chosen by Rajinikanth as the film's cinematographer, after the two worked together in their prior successful venture Enthiran (2010). Rajeevan was signed up as art director.
- V Lakshmi, TNN, Jan 30, 2011, 12.00am IST (2011-01-30). "Rana is a period film". The Times of India. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- Meera Srinivasan (2011-01-29). "Arts / Cinema : Raana Rajini's next venture". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Deepika Padukone signs Rajinikanth's Rana". Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "Deepika was the only choice for Rana'". Retrieved 3 August 2011.[unreliable source?]
- "Rajinikanth to play a triple role in Rana". Movies.ndtv.com. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- "Shooting dates of Raana to be announced in December". Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- Bharti Dubey, TNN, Jan 29, 2011, 05.42pm IST (2011-01-29). "Rana, a triple delight for Rajini fans". The Times of India. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- "Shooting starts in Rajinikanth's first period film". Daily News and Analysis. April 29, 2009
- "Rajinikanth admitted to hospital". Daily News and Analysis. April 29, 2009
- "International news of the week". Business-standard.com. 4 June 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "Rajinikanth to romance Vidya Balan". Hindustan Times. 2011-03-03. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- "Vidya Balan To Romance Rajinikanth". Movies.ndtv.com. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- "Big B in, Rekha out of Rajini's film". Hindustan Times. 2011-03-23. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- "Vadivelu targets Rajinikanth!". Sify. Retrieved 29 April 2011.
- "Rajni sir wanted me for Ranaa". The Times Of India. 2011-02-17.
- "Rajinikanth in triple role in next film Rana". Hindustan Times. 2011-01-30. Retrieved 2011-09-17.