Rana Muhammad Akram Khan
|Rana Muhammad Akram Khan
رانا محمد اکرم خاں
|Khan addressing at Punjab Bar Council in 2010.|
|19th Chairman Executive, Punjab Bar Council|
|Preceded by||Rana Arif Kamal Noon|
|Succeeded by||Zafar Mehmood Mughal|
|Born||March 1962 (age 53)
|Children||1 son and 3 daughters|
|Alma mater||Karachi University (LL.B.)
Karachi University (MA)
|Award(s)||The Legend of the Bar|
Rana Muhammad Akram Khan (Urdu: رانا محمد اکرم خاں) is a Pakistani lawyer and landowner. He has been chairman executive of the Punjab Bar Council (PBC). An office he was elected to by having secured 44 votes out of 75. His notable work includes bycott of National Judicial Policy. Khan rebuffed the Supreme Court's National Judicial Policy criticising it as an execution of justice and also ended up ceasing the licenses of counsels who supported it. According to him, the policy was not delivering justice to people but rather only accelerating the process for disposing of cases.
Education & background
Khan was born in Faisalabad (Pakistan). He belongs to a Taoni Rajput zamindar family with roots in Kapurthala (India). Khan studied law at S. M. Law College and got both Bachelor of Laws and masters in Political science from University of Karachi.
Punjab Bar Council election record
- In 2009, Khan was elected Member of the Council for the term 2010-14. During this term he was further elected Chief Executive of the Council for 2010-11.
- In 2014, he was again elected as Member of the Council for the term 2015-19.
Role against National Judicial Policy
Boycott of policy
Khan reiterated several times that National Judicial Policy is a liquidation of Justice, due to which the Punjab Bar Council had announced the weekly strike in Punjab on every Saturday. In Jaranwala the lawyers arranged a lavish dinner in his honour at Committee Bagh. Speaking on the occasion he said: “We have apprehensions towards National Judicial Policy which is not proper for the lawyers, judges and the public.” He appealed to the Chief Justice of Pakistan to review this policy, saying that, "We respect and honour judiciary and we enjoy cordial relations with bench and bar." Khan further elaborated during addressing a joint meeting of Lahore Bar Association and Lahore High Court Bar Association that "We are not against the speedy disposal of cases but we take issue against pointless dismissals in the name of judicial policy. The courts should impose a fine when lawyers are deliberately avoiding court appearances and delaying cases. But when a genuine adjournment is requested, it should be granted".
Suspension of licenses
Khan suspended the licenses of President, High Court Bar Association Rawalpindi, President, Rawalpindi District Bar Association and President of High Court Bar Association Multan for not observing strike according to the council's announcement against National Judicial Policy. In the rift, the executive of Rawalpindi District Bar Association (RDBA) announced strike against him. However RDBA Executive was criticized by lawyers of RDBA for going out of their limits.
Pronouncement regarding SCBA
Addressing a press conference, Khan, Mumtaz Mustafa and senior members of the Bar council said that hastening the disposing of judges was equal to the burial of justice. The judiciary should give rulings on merit without making any haste. They said not even five percent judges are honest in lower courts, whereas the remarks of Lahore High Court Chief Justice Khawaja Muhammad Sharif suggest as if judges of Khilafat-e-Rashida have been appointed. They went on to say that Punjab Bar Council is representative of more than 80,000 advocates and Qazi Anwar, the president of Supreme Court Bar Association (SCBA), is not the appropriate delegate of lawyers to decide their perspective on National Judicial Policy.
Rana Arif Kamal Noon
|Chairman Executive, Punjab Bar Council
Zafar Mehmood Mughal
- "Punjab Bar Council's Chairman Executive Rana Muhammad Akram Khan and vice Chairman Mumtaz Mustafa". www.nawaiwaqt.com.pk. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- "Punjab Bar Council elections". Express News (express.com.pk). Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- "Punjab Bar Council website". Pbbarcouncil.com. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Press Information Department (Government of Pakistan)". Pid.gov.pk. 19 January 2011. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Rana Muhammad Akram elected as Chairman Executive" (in Urdu). AAJ News. Retrieved 2014-09-26.
- "CJ urged to review judicial policy". Thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Lawyers boycott courts to protest judicial policy". The Express Tribune. 23 May 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Rawalpindi Lawyers announced strike against Punjab Bar Council's Chairman Rana Akram" (in Urdu). Express News. 7 July 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "PBC rejects Supreme Court's National Judicial Policy". Geo Tv. 28 March 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Punjab Bar Council rejects Supreme Court's National Judicial Policy". Pakistanmediawatch.com. 28 March 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Slap case, Judges behavior is violation of the regulation". www.nawaiwaqt.com.pk. 31 March 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Randhawa loses PbBC election". The Express Tribune. 24 November 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Lawyers weekly strike irks judges". Thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "PBC rejects National Judicial Policy". GEO.tv. 30 March 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Strike Against Punjab Bar Council is transgress" (in Urdu). Express News. 8 July 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Not even five percent judges of lower judiciary are honest – Daily Jang- Jang Group" (in Urdu). Jang.com.pk. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rana Muhammad Akram Khan.|
- PBC Executive Chairman Rana Muhammad Akram Khan said lawyers across the country would boycott the courts and hoist black flags over bar rooms in protest. Published by tribune on October 2010.
- Bar-bench standoff deepens 1,300 judicial officers resign; Published August 2010 at Awaztoday.com
- Peace and Harmony can prevail in the region: Published on August 2010 at Chandigarh, India.
- .ججز بحالی نوٹیفکیشن واپس لینے کا اقدام غیر آئینی، توہین عدالت ہوگی. Published on 17 Oct 2010 by www.nawaiwaqt.com