Ranch to Market Road 187
|Maintained by TxDOT|
|Length:||81.93 mi (131.85 km)|
|Existed:||June 11, 1945 – present|
|South end:||US 57 near Batesville|
|SH 127 in Sabinal|
|North end:||SH 39 near Ingram|
|Counties:||Zavala, Uvalde, Bandera, Kerr|
Ranch to Market Road 187 (RM 187) is a 81.9-mile (131.8 km) Ranch to Market Road located in Zavala, Uvalde, Bandera, and Kerr counties in the US state of Texas. The route passes through the cities of Sabinal, Utopia, and Vanderpool. The road helps connect several small south Texas ranches to major highways. RM 187 was first designated in 1945, and was extended three times during the 1940s. As of 2012, it is the longest Ranch to Market Road in the state of Texas.
RM 187 begins at its southern terminus with US Highway 57 (US 57), near Batesville, as a paved, two-lane, asphalt road. RM 187 winds through several miles of Southern Texas grassland dotted with trees. The highway passes several large ranches and farms along this course and intersects with several county routes and private roads. For this stretch of the route, RM 187 is heading in a northeast direction. The highway turns north about two miles (3 km) south of an intersection with FM 140. The two highways run concurrently for nearly a mile (1.6 km) before FM 140 turns westward. RM 187 continues north through rolling grasslands for almost 3.5 miles (5.6 km) before turning in a northeast direction. The route continues in this direction for about two miles before returning to a northerly direction. After about 15 miles (24 km), RM 187 intersects with US 90 and State Highway 127 (SH 127) in the small town of Sabinal. The highway continues through more hilly, rolling grasslands. A few miles later, the highway crosses the Sabinal River and proceeds past the Waresville cemetery, the Links of Utopia Golf Course, and the Utopia on the River Airport before passing through the "downtown" area of the village of Utopia.
RM 187 winds through nearly seven miles (11 km) of brushland, passing several large ranches and farms alongside the Sabinal River. The highway heads through the unincorporated community of Vanderpool and runs concurrently with RM 337 for a length of 1.1 miles (1.8 km). Separating and running northward, RM 187 continues along the southwestern edge of the Lost Maples State Natural Area. The highway turns northeasterly through a long stretch of brushland before reaching its northern terminus at SH 39.
RM 187 was first designated as a stretch of road going from Sabinal to the Bandera County line on June 11, 1945. Just 14 days later, on June 25, 1945, it was extended from the Bandera County line up to Vanderpool. The highway was extended from an intersection with US 90 to Garner Field on April 1, 1948, which added approximately 1.8 miles (2.9 km) to the route. The highway was lengthened on November 23, 1948 to a point 4.3 miles (6.9 km) south of Sabinal, while the previous extension was cancelled and redesignated to FM 1023. The highway was again lengthened southward by 6.7 miles (10.8 km) to a dead end point on July 15, 1949. RM 187 was again extended south on March 24, 1954 to an intersection with FM 140. This added approximately 6 miles (9.7 km), giving the route an overall length of 48 miles. On May 5, 1962, the road was extended 4.5 miles (7.2 km) northward, totaling 52.5 miles (84.5 km) long. RM 187 was extended to its modern-day northern terminus at SH 39 on June 26, 1963, which added about 12.9 miles (20.8 km) to the route. On June 2, 1967, FM 2557 was redesignated to RM 187, bringing the route to its southern terminus US 57. This added approximately 5 miles (8 km), totaling the road length to 81.9 miles (131.8 km).
|Zavala||Batesville||0.0||0.0||US 57||Southern terminus|
|12.6||20.3||FM 140||South end of FM 140 concurrency|
|13.5||21.7||FM 140||North end of FM 140 concurrency|
|32.9||52.9||SH 127||South end of concurrency with SH 127|
|34.1||54.9||SH 127||North end of concurrency with SH 127|
|42.8||68.9||FM 1796||Western terminus of FM 1796|
|Utopia||54.4||87.5||RM 1050||Eastern terminus of RM 1050|
|54.4||87.5||FM 470||Western terminus of FM 470|
|Bandera||Vanderpool||65.0||104.6||RM 337||Southern end of RM 337 concurrency|
|66.1||106.4||RM 337||Northern end of RM 337 concurrency|
|Kerr||81.9||131.8||SH 39||Northern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division. "Ranch to Market Road No. 187". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division. "Farm/Ranch to Market Road Fun Facts". Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- Rand McNally (2008). The Road Atlas (Map). 1 in:31 mi (2008 ed.). p. 101. ISBN 0-528-93981-5.
- Texas Department of Transportation (2012) (PDF). Texas County Map Book (Map). 1:120,000. Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2012 ed.). p. 347. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/_includes/countymapbook2006/Pages/347.pdf. Retrieved April 7, 2012.
- Mapsco (2008). The Roads of Texas (Map). 1 in:3.6 mi. Cartography by Mapsco. p. 131. ISBN 1-56966-421-8.
- Texas Department of Transportation (2012) (PDF). Texas County Map Book (Map). 1:120,000. Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2012 ed.). p. 346. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/_includes/countymapbook2006/Pages/346.pdf. Retrieved April 7, 2012.
- Naylor, p. 87.
- Valby, p. 43.
- Texas Department of Transportation (2010). Official Travel Map (Map). 1 in:20 mi. Section Q13–S13.
- Texas Department of Transportation (2012) (PDF). Texas County Map Book (Map). 1:120,000. Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2012 ed.). p. 345. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/_includes/countymapbook2006/Pages/345.pdf. Retrieved April 7, 2012.
- Texas Department of Transportation (2012) (PDF). Texas County Map Book (Map). 1:120,000. Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2012 ed.). p. 344. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/_includes/countymapbook2006/Pages/344.pdf. Retrieved April 7, 2012.
- American Map (2004). Discovery Channel Road Atlas (Map). 1 in:143.5 mi. Cartography by Mapquest.com, Inc. p. 107. ISBN 0-8416-1787-2.
- Texas Department of Transportation (2012) (PDF). Texas County Map Book (Map). 1:120,000. Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2012 ed.). p. 343. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/_includes/countymapbook2006/Pages/343.pdf. Retrieved April 7, 2012.
- Google Inc. "Overview map of Ranch to Market Road 187". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ranch+Rd+187&daddr=Ranch+Rd+187+to:Farm+to+Market+140+W%2FRanch+Rd+187+to:S+Center+St%2FFarm+to+Market+Rd+187+to:TX-127+N%2FCenter+St%2FRanch+Rd+187+to:Ranch+Rd+187+to:Ranch+Rd+187+to:Ranch+Rd+187+to:Ranch+Rd+187+to:Ranch+Rd+187%2FRanch+Rd+337+to:Ranch+Rd+187&hl=en&sll=29.4582,-99.52511&sspn=1.425295,1.766052&geocode=FZ_wuQEdkxsQ-g%3BFXo8uwEdgKAS-g%3BFZ5tuwEdqJYS-g%3BFaVavwEdsEIS-g%3BFbifvwEdZDUS-g%3BFVaHwQEdLiAS-g%3BFTrdwwEdMFYR-g%3BFV5ZxAEdwmkR-g%3BFRjaxQEdTOoQ-g%3BFeARxgEdRMoQ-g%3BFYwNyQEdGOcQ-g&mra=ls&num=10&t=h&z=9. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- Media related to Ranch to Market Road 187 at Wikimedia Commons