Ranchi railway station
Ranchi Junction at Night
|Address||Ranchi, Ranchi district, Jharkhand
|Elevation||629.00 metres (2,063.65 ft)|
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Baggage check||Not Available|
|Zone(s)||South Eastern Railway|
|Owned by||South Eastern Railway of the Indian Railway|
|Formerly||East Indian Railway|
|Passengers ()||40,000 per day|
Ranchi Junction railway station, station code RNC, is the railway station serving the capital city of Ranchi in the Ranchi district in the Indian state of Jharkhand. Ranchi Station is also the headquarters of the Ranchi division of the South Eastern Railway Zone of the Indian Railway. The Ranchi Junction railway station is connected to most of the major cities in India by the railway network.
Ranchi has trains running frequently to Delhi, Kolkata and Patna. The city is a major railway hub and has four major stations: Ranchi Junction, Hatia Station, Tatisilwai Station and Namkom Station. Many important trains start from Hatia station as well.
|This section requires expansion. (April 2012)|
In 2003, the Ranchi division was carved out from the existing Adra railway division of the South Eastern Railway Zone. As of 2012 Ranchi Station is being renovated and developed in the lines of Jaipur railway station. The ceilings of the Unreserved Ticketing System (UTS) and the Passenger Reservation System (PRS) are being beautified with scenery. The facade of the Ranchi station has been improved in February 2012. In Feb 2012 two new platforms were added to the Ranchi station along with mechanical interlocking system.
Ranchi Junction is located close to the bus terminal and domestic airport providing transport to important destinations of Jharkhand. Automatic ticket vending machines have been installed to reduce the queue for train tickets on the station. The Railway medical unit provides health facilities is located near Muri Junction. The nearest airports to Ranchi Junction are:
- Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi 5 kilometres (3.1 mi)
- Gaya Airport 179 kilometres (111 mi)
- Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Airport, Patna 280 kilometres (170 mi)
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata 365 kilometres (227 mi)
- Kiro, Santosh K. (19 October 2011). "Ranchi station on a weak platform". The Telegraph (Calcutta) (Calcutta, India). Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "Ranchi Rly station to adopt Jaipur model". The Pioneer (Indian newspaper). 7 February 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "ACHIEVEMENTS DURING THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY 2012". South Eastern Railway Ranchi. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "New platforms for Ranchi station". The Telegraph (Calcutta) (Calcutta, India). 2 February 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "Ranchi Railway Station". onefivenine.com. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Ranchi.|