Rancho Bernardo, San Diego
|Community of San Diego|
Rancho Bernardo and neighborhood boundaries
|County||County of San Diego|
|City||City of San Diego|
The topography of Rancho Bernardo consists of canyons and rolling hills. It is a sprawling community, with shopping malls, golf courses and office parks typical of San Diego development.
The community is located about 20 miles (32 km) north-north-east of downtown San Diego, immediately east of 4S Ranch, north of Carmel Mountain Ranch, northwest of the city of Poway and south of Escondido.
On October 22, 2007, the Witch Creek Fire burned through Rancho Bernardo and several other populous areas of San Diego County, destroying hundreds of houses, and completely destroying several entire neighborhoods, particularly ones that firefighters had trouble accessing due to rugged terrain and rapidly advancing flames pushed by strong Santa Ana winds.The highly unpredictable flames pushed into the northeast section of Poway during the day, prompting evacuation of Palomar-Pomerado Hospital. The neighborhoods of the Trails, Montelena and Westwood were the main areas hit in Rancho Bernardo.
There is an annual carnival-type street fair, RB Alive!, during the summer. Rancho Bernardo is also home to the oldest operating winery in Southern California, the Bernardo Winery Established in 1889 and family owned and operated since 1927.
Rancho Bernardo is home to Corporate Headquarters of Sony US, the first integrated television factory opened in the U.S. by a Japanese company Other companies in the area include Broadcom, Hewlett-Packard, Nokia, the Eastman Kodak Company, Teradata, LSI Corporation, BAE Systems and Northrop Grumman. Located in a 685 acres (277 ha) business park, there are approximately 50,000 workers employed by these companies.
The area is part of the Poway Unified School District.
- "Sandiego.gov". Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- Rossi, Vincent Nicholas (2006-04-13). "Man sees music as universal language". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved 2009-05-22.
- "Bernardo Winery - The History". Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- Sony History
- "Location and Hours." Maranatha Christian Schools. Retrieved on June 21, 2013. "9050 Maranatha Drive San Diego, CA 92127" "10752 Coastwood Road San Diego, CA 92127"
- San Diego North Chamber of Commerce (formerly Rancho Bernardo Chamber of Commerce)
- Rancho Bernardo Historical Society Web site