Rancho Buena Vista High School
|Rancho Buena Vista High School|
Excellence through Unity!
|1601 Longhorn Drive
|School district||Vista Unified School District|
|Principal||Charles Schindler (Start 2012-2013 School Year)|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Silver|
|Newspaper||The Bull's Eye|
|Website||Rancho Buena Vista High School Website|
Rancho Buena Vista High School or "RBV" is a California Distinguished School and International Baccalaureate Organization World School, located in Vista, California.  In the 1990-1991 and 1994-1995 school years Rancho Buena Vista High School was awarded the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive.
Rancho Buena Vista High School, often shortened locally to "RBV," "Rancho," or "The Ranch," was opened in September 1987. It is a comprehensive, public secondary school in the Vista Unified School District. It is among one of the largest schools in San Diego County with over 3,300 enrolled students. As of March 2012 Rancho Buena Vista High School is one of the 761 schools in the United States offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme. It was the first school in the State of California to adopt this rigorous program of study.
The school's mascot is the Longhorn, and its colors are maroon and silver. The current principal is Charles Schindler with assistant principals Carlos Gomez, Eileen Hermansen, and Heather Golly. Shannon Garcia, a former assistant principal, recently transferred to the principal position at Bobier Elementary.
The athletic program at RBVHS currently offers Football, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Tennis, Volleyball, Water Polo, Golf, Basketball, Soccer, Wrestling, Baseball, Swimming, Track & Field, Cheer, and Softball.
Known for yearly participation in the National History Day competition, an annual United Service Organizations (USO) show,  and its ArtSplash festival,  RBV boasts award-winning programs in theatre , music, and graphic design/digital arts. Many students participate in a large internship programme, AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination), the Regional Occupational Program (ROP), IB Diploma and Certificate Programmes and Advanced Placement (AP) classes. Rancho's Cross Country teams are perennially state-ranked, and the varsity Academic Team won the San Diego County Academic League Championship in 2006..
Staff & Select Enrollment (2006-2007 data)
- Number of full-time paraprofessional staff: 3
- Number of part-time paraprofessional staff: 23
- Number of full-time office/clerical staff: 12
- Number of part-time office/clerical staff: 2
- Number of full-time other staff: 16
- Number of part-time other staff 1
- Enrollment in algebra or algebra II: 531
- Enrollment in advanced math course: 598
- Enrollment in first year chemistry: 472
- Enrollment in first year physics: 197
- Career-technical education enrollment: 260
- Total Classroom Teachers: 131
- Total students: 3,061
- 50.7% Male / 49.3% Female
- Grade 9: 752 students
- Grade 10: 815 students
- Grade 11: 794 students
- Grade 12: 700 students
Student % by Ethnicity
- 1% American Indian
- 6% Asian
- 35% Hispanic
- 7% Black
- 50% White
- 1% Unknown
Student drop outs (2005-2006 data)
- Number of 9th Grade Drop Outs: 37
- Number of 10th Grade Drop Outs: 84
- Number of 11th Grade Drop Outs: 27
- Number of 12th Grade Drop Outs: 107
- Ian Sluss, (Graduated 2008), NFL New England Patriots Linebacker
- Dave Roberts, MLB (Indians, Dodgers, Red Sox, Padres, Giants)
- Jesse English, (Graduated 2002) MLB Pitcher
- Eric Kunze, a Broadway actor and singer. 
- Deven May - Broadway actor and performer starring as Tony DeVito in Jersey Boys in Las Vegas.
- Jennifer Rias, (Graduated 2000) - Broadway actor and performer: Rock of Ages and Disney's Aladdin
Rancho Buena Vista High School is featured in the video game Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2000), created by San Diego native Tony Hawk. The school's Longhorn emblem is displayed on the wall of one of the buildings in the school level. Dave Roberts, a former Major League Baseball player, is "RBV's" most notable graduate.
- "Dave Roberts Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- "Two Rancho Buena Vista High grads returning to local stage".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rancho Buena Vista High School.|