Rancho del Río Estanislao
Rancho del Río Estanislao (also called Ranchería Del Rio Estanislao) was a 48,887-acre (197.84 km2) Mexican land grant in present day Stanislaus County and Calaveras County, California given in 1843 by Governor Manuel Micheltorena to Francisco Rico and José Castro. The grant was located on the north side of the Stanislaus River, which was called Rio Estanislao during the Mexican era, and the grant encompassed present day Knights Ferry.
Francisco Rico and Jose Antonio Castro were granted the eleven square league Rancho Del Rio Estanislao in 1843.
With the cession of California to the United States following the Mexican-American War, the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo provided that the land grants would be honored. As required by the Land Act of 1851, a claim for Rancho Del Rio Estanislao was filed with the Public Land Commission in 1853, and the grant was patented to Francisco Rico and José Castro in 1863.
Rico and Castro sold to William Hicks, Abraham Schell, and James C. Stubbins. Abraham Schell, a lawyer, came to Knights Ferry in 1856. He built his home the Abraham Schell House in present-day Knights Ferry, California where it currently stands. He purchased three and a half square leagues of the Rancheria del Rio Estanislao in 1863. Schell and his partner, George H. Krause, started the Red Mountain Winery.
- Ogden Hoffman, 1862, Reports of Land Cases Determined in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, Numa Hubert, San Francisco
- Diseño del Rancho Del Rio Estanislao
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Rancheria Del Rio Estanislao
- George Henry Tinkham, 1821, History of Stanislaus County California, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles
- United States. District Court (California : Northern District) Land Case 413 ND
- Report of the Surveyor General 1844 - 1886
- Gooch, Kathleen. Site Seeing in Stanislaus: A Tour of Historic Sites in the County, #17 The Abraham Schell House. Modesto: Press and Publications Board McHenry Museum & Historical Society, 2003. Print.
- Margaret Gaylord Ruppel, 1993, El Rancheria Rio Estanislaus: A History, Modesto: McHenry Museum Press
- George Henry Tinkham,1921, History of Stanislaus County California, Los Angeles, Calif. : Historic Record Company