Ponte de Rande
|Crosses||Ria de Vigo|
|Locale||Redondela - Moaña, Galicia, Spain|
|Maintained by||Ministry of Public Works|
|Designer||Fabrizio de Miranda
Florencio del Pozo
|Total length||1.558 km (0.968 mi)|
|Width||23.46 m (77.0 ft)|
|Height||148 m (486 ft)|
|Longest span||401 m (1,316 ft)|
|Number of spans||3|
|Piers in water||4|
The Rande Bridge (Galician: Ponte de Rande, Spanish: Puente de Rande) is a cable-stayed bridge near Vigo, Spain. It spans Vigo Ria across the Rande Strait, linking the municipalities of Redondela and Moaña.
It was designed by Italian engineer Fabrizio de Miranda, the Spaniard Florencio del Pozo (who was also in charge of its foundations), and Alfredo Passaro. The bridge was built in 1978. It forms part of the Atlántico Toll road. It was exclusively a toll bridge until 2006, when it became a shadow toll stretch.
It has a length of 1,558 metres, its pillars have a height of 148 metres and its main span measures 401 metres. Although it was not the biggest (cable-stayed) span in the world when it opened, it was the longest span with more than two lanes. The bridge, which links Redondela and Moaña through the Strait of Rande, is an emblematic piece of engineering in the ria of Vigo.
It currently carries around 50,000 vehicles per day. It is believed that there will be congestion problems in the near future, so the widening alternative has already been studied and projected. Since its opening to traffic in 1981, more than 230 million vehicles have passed through it. It cost 3.658 billion pesetas to build at the time.
- J. A Jurado; José Ángel Jurado Albarracín; Félix Nieto; A. Mosquera (15 March 2011). Bridge Aeroelasticity: Sensitivity Analysis and Optimum Design. WIT Press. pp. 31–. ISBN 978-1-84564-056-9. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Leonardo Fernández Troyano (2003). Bridge Engineering: A Global Perspective. Thomas Telford. pp. 664–. ISBN 978-0-7277-3215-6. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Giancarlo Colombo; Who's Who in Italy S. R. L. (1998). Who's Who in Italy. Intercontinental Book & Publishing. ISBN 978-88-85246-26-3. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Julio Martínez Calzón, Manuel Juliá Vilardell, Álvaro Serrano Corral and Miguel Gómez Navarro. "Structural Engineering International", November 2008, n. 4 v. 18.
- (it) De Miranda F., Leone A., Passaro A., 1979, Il ponte strallato sullo stretto di Rande presso Vigo, in "Costruzioni Metalliche", 2/1979.
- (it) De Miranda F., 1980, I ponti strallati di grande luce, Zanichelli Bologna (I), pp. 259–269.