Random act of kindness
A random act of kindness is a selfless act performed by a person or people wishing to either assist or cheer up an individual person or people. The phrase may have been coined by Anne Herbert, who says that she wrote "Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty" on a place mat at a Sausalito restaurant in 1982 or 1983. Either spontaneous or planned, random acts of kindness are encouraged by various communities.
Examples of events or groups
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (May 2010)|
- The Jewish concept of a mitzvah is used colloquially to mean a good deed or an act of kindness. Judaism teaches that "the world is built on kindness." Kabbalistic teaching sees kindness as emerging from the first of seven Divine emotional attributes; to be effective kindness must be balanced and considered, while mercy is also for the undeserving. The Lubavitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson told reporters that to bring the Moshiach sooner, people should "add in acts of goodness and kindness."
- Caffè sospeso is a tradition in the working-class cafés of Naples where a person who has experienced good luck financially pays for two coffees, but receives and consumes only one, the second being left until a person enquires later whether a sospeso is available.
- The BBC 1 London News ran a News item entitled 'Hampers at the Ready' following 'The Kindness Offensive' event on the 22 December 2008, which saw the group work with seventy volunteers to hand out over thirty-five tonnes of presents to the public at random, as well as many other charities and community groups. The Kindness Offensive suggests that their Christmas event on the 22 December 2008 was the UK's largest ever random act of kindness.
- An Australian TV-show called Random Acts of Kindness, on Channel 9, shows hosts Karl Stefanovic, Scott Cam and Simmone Jade Mackinnon giving gifts to people they identify as heroes.
- HelpOthers.org is the home of Smile Cards and a portal of kindness stories, ideas, and online groups. It allows people to send random notes of kindness to others.
- Join Me is a book written in 2002 by humorist Danny Wallace; in which he tells of the cult he started by accident, the group's purpose is to encourage members (called Joinees and collectively known as the KarmaArmy) to perform random acts of kindness, particularly on Fridays which are termed "Good Fridays". Wallace has also published a book called Random Acts of Kindness: 365 Ways to Make the World a Nicer Place.
- The Newton Project attempted to quantify the benefits of the Random Act of Kindness concept in order to motivate people to perform additional acts of kindness.
- On the 14 November 2012 an NYPD officer, Lawrence DePrimo, was photographed giving socks and a pair of boots he had purchased for a bare-footed homeless man. The photograph later went viral.
- Started in February 2014, the Feed the Deed campaign has inspired over 10,000 random acts of kindness around the world.
- The 2007 movie Evan Almighty ends with God telling the main character, Evan, that the way to change the world is by doing one Act of Random Kindness ("ARK") at a time.
- Karen McCombie's book The Seventeen Secrets of the Karma Club revolves around two girls who (inspired by their favourite film Amélie) start up their 'Karma Club', the intention of which, is to do random acts of kindness anonymously.
- Book Stargirl by Spinelli
- Pay it forward
- Parable of the Good Samaritan
- The Sheep and the Goats
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness
- Random Acts of Kindness Day
- The Kindness Offensive
- Join Me
- Adair Lara, "Random Acts of Senseless Kindness", The San Francisco Chronicle, May 16, 1991
- "Handy Tips on How to Behave at the Death of the World," Whole Earth Review, Spring 1995, p.88
- http://www.chabad.org/therebbe/livingtorah/player_cdo/aid/490071/jewish/Acts-of-Goodness-and-Kindness.htm and more generally, http://www.chabad.org/search/keyword_cdo/kid/10740/jewish/Chessed-Acts-of-Kindness.htm
- 4000saturdays.com, One Million Random Acts of Kindness Campaign
- Random Acts of Kindness (06/06/2009)
- "Web site rewards inner beauty". CNN. 13 May 2009. Retrieved 29 March 2011.
- WBRZ News, 5 April 2012
- "Photo of Officer Giving Boots to Barefoot Man Warms Hearts Online". New York Times. Retrieved 2 July 2013.