Skinner was born in Columbus, Ohio. He attended Upper Arlington High School and graduated from Ohio State University. In addition to his theatrical career, he is also a guest teacher at various colleges and universities. He moved to New York in 1976 seeking dancing jobs, and Gower Champion asked him to be a dance assistant on 42nd Street in 1980. In 1985, Ginger Rogers cast him as Val opposite Karen Ziemba and asked him to choreograph a production of Babes in Arms that she directed in upstate New York and in Connecticut.
His Broadway work as a choreographer includes the musicals White Christmas and State Fair. He choreographed the Broadway revival of 42nd Street in 2001 and also choreographed and staged the London,Germany, Australia and two U.S. national companies and the Amsterdam production of the musical. He has choreographed many staged productions for the City Center Encores! series, including No, No Nanette (May 2008) and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (May 2012). His Off-Broadway and regional theatre choreography work includes productions of White Christmas around the U.S. and the UK, An American in Paris (2008 in Houston, Texas), Happy Days (2006 in Los Angeles), Lone Star Love (2004 Off-Broadway; 2007 Seattle), Babes in Arms (2002 at the Goodspeed Opera House), Abby's Song (1999 Off-Broadway, also directing) and Lucky in the Rain (1997 at Goodspeed).
(As choreographer, except as otherwise noted)
- White Christmas 2014 (West End)
- Show Boat 2014 Lincoln Center with the NY Philharmonic Orchestra
- On Your Toes 2013 City Center Encores! (performed the role of Phil Dolan II)
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes 2012 City Center Encores!
- Lend Me A Tenor (musical) 2011 (West End)
- White Christmas 2008/2009 (Broadway) (Tony and Drama Desk nominations)
- No, No Nanette 2008 City Center Encores!
- An American in Paris 2008 (Houston, Texas)
- Face the Music 2007 City Center Encores!
- Happy Days (musical) 2006 (Los Angeles, California)
- Of Thee I Sing 2006 City Center Encores!
- After the Night and the Music 2005 (Broadway) (also dance music arranger)
- The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde 2005 New York: Theatre at St. Clements
- White Christmas 2004 & 2005 (San Francisco, Los Angeles and Boston)
- Lone Star Love 2004 (Off-Broadway); 2007 (Seattle-also Director)
- Babes in Arms 2002 Goodspeed Opera House
- 42nd Street 2001 (Broadway revival) (Tony and Drama Desk nominations)
- George M! 2000 Goodspeed Opera House
- Abby's Song 1999 Off-Broadway (also Director)
- Do Re Mi 1999 City Center Encores!
- Lucky in the Rain 1997 Goodspeed Opera House
- State Fair 1996 (Broadway) (also co-Director)
- Ain't Broadway Grand 1993 (Broadway) (Tony nomination)
- Babes in Arms 1985 (New York and Connecticut; also played Val)
- 42nd Street 1980 (Broadway) (dance assistant)
- Randy Skinner biography, Steps on Broadway, accessed May 8, 2009
- Sturdivant, Doug. "Making Merry: White Christmas Plays Broadway", December 6, 2008
- "Randy Skinner biography", Broadway Dance Center, accessed May 8, 2009
- Goldman, Phyllis. "Master Tap Teacher Randy Skinner…Talks about his long career both on Broadway and at Encores", danceruniverse.com, March 27, 2008
- Encores! Previous Seasons,New York City Center, accessed May 8, 2009
- Randy Skinner, Broadway World, accessed May 8, 2009