|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
Ranebennur City Municipal Council
|• Total||42.32 km2 (16.34 sq mi)|
|Elevation||604 m (1,982 ft)|
|• Density||2,117.63/km2 (5,484.6/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Ranebennuru is the City Municipal Council in Haveri district in Karnataka, India. It is situated 300 kilometres (190 mi) northwest of Bangalore, the capital of Karnataka. Other nearby cities include Hubli (105 km), Shimoga (88 km), and Davangere (37 km).
Ranibennur is at geographical center of karnataka.  It has an average elevation of 605 metres (1,985 ft). One of Karnataka's most important rivers – the Tungabhadra – flows along the southern border of Ranebennur taluk. Another river, the Kumadvathi, which originates from Madagh Masur Lake flows from Hirekerur taluk, enters Ranebennur taluk, and joins the Tungabhadra river..
The nearest airport is at Hubli, 108 km from Ranebennur. From there one can take flights to Bengaluru and Mumbai. The nearest international airport is 300 km away, in Bengaluru. Ranebennur is connected with most of the metros like Mumbai, Bengaluru, and Chennai through regular trains.
Being on National Highway NH4, the city enjoys good bus service. It is a 1.5 hour drive from Hubli (105 km) and 5 hr drive from Bengaluru (300 km). Most buses travelling between North Karnataka and South Karnataka go via Ranebennur.
As of 2011[update] India census, Ranebennur has a population of 106,365. Males constitute 50.7% of the population and females 49.3%. Ranebennur has a literacy rate of 60.98%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 60.16%, and female literacy is 61.8%. In Ranebennur, 10.8% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The bulk of the population is engaged in agriculture and related activities. Cotton and jowar (sorghum) are very well suited to the semi-arid climate. Coconut, brinjal, maize, betel leaves, and tomatoes are the other crops grown here. Much of the agricultural output is dependent on the southwest monsoon and hence gets challenging at times. the Upper Tunga project, if completed, will be a boon for the farmers in this region. Sericulture (rearing of silkworms) is growing in popularity among the farmers. Mulbery plants are grown and silkworm larvae are fed cut-up mulberry leaves. This is a labour-intensive activity and hence well suited to this region.
Ranebennur is home to a rich commodity market. Commodities like cotton yarn, cotton seed, oil seeds, red chilli, betel nut, and betel leaf are traded. Ranebennur has a seed multiplication industry. Several seed companies are located and operating in the city. Ranebennur is also known for its wholesale cloth market and all type of wholesale business.
Sarees is also a very vast market at Ranebennur. Sha Sukhraj Mithalal Sarees on MG road is one of the biggest merchant of sarees and has a vast collection. Just when the village started expanding this store was established around the late twentieth century.
Ranebennur is well positioned to be the industrial hub of old Dharwad district, as it is positioned on the river and has access to National Highway NH4 and State highways SH26, SH57, and SH76. Some of the major industries are:
- Grasim Industries of Aditya Birla Group – textiles, chemicals, fibre, iron, cement (Kumarapatna)
- Ramco Industries – cement (Karur)
- Mahyco – seeds
- Suraj Seeds Pvt. Ltd.
- Chirag Seeds Corporation
- Orison Hybrid Seeds
- Synthite Industries Limited (Kavalettu)
- Kancor Colours Limited (Byadgi)
- South India Tiles
- Tunga Bhadra Co-Operative Ginning Mill (Kamadod)
- Farmers Co-Operative Ginning Mill (Hanumanamatti)
- Ranebennur Wildlife Sanctuary
- Ranibennur Blackbuck Sanctuary
- Shree Ambabhavani Temple Doddapeth Ranibennur
- Hazarat jamalshawali Dargah at Durga Circle Center City
- Sayed Sadatsha Wali Dargah at halgeri Cross
- Madressa Darullum Gulshane Taiba Boys(Killa Masjeed)
- Zanana Arabic Madressa Only Ladies
- Jamaiya Masjid (One of the oldest Mosque in Ranibennur)
- Aduvi Hanumappa Temple (5 km)
- Adishakthi Temple at Vageesh Nagar
- Ayyappa Swamy Temple at Eshwar Nagar
- Banashankari Temple at Banashankari Nagar
- Basavanna Temple at Doddapete
- Choudeshwari Temple at Choudeshwari Nagar
- Shri Sumatinath Jain Swetambar Jain Temple
- Shri Shiradi Sai Baba Temple Sri ram nagar Ranebennur
A royal family of Haribal resides here. It is the birthplace of Helavanakatte Giriyamma. She is a worshipper of lord Shree Ranganatha. Her temple is found in Malabennur.
- Mahalsa Marthanda Bhairava Malatesh Temple at Devaragudda
- Joisaraharalahalli, birthplace of Sree Hanagal Kumaraswamiji
- Anjaneya Temple at Kadaramadalagi
- The Temple of Mukteswara at Chaudayyadanapura; built in the 11th or 12th century in the Jakkanachari style
- Veerabhadreshwara Temple at Rattihalli
- Karibasaveshwara Temple (Ajjayya) at Ukkadagatri
- Madagh Masur Lake
- Galaganatha Temple
- Mailara Lingeshwara Temple at Mailara
- Harihareshwara Temple at Harihar
- Airani Fort
- Abalur: birthplace of Sarvagnya, a 16th-century Kannada poet
- Mallari Temple at Gudda Guddaapura
- Balligavi: birthplace of Allama Prabhu, poet of the Veerashaiva Bhakti movement of the 12th century
- Udutadi: birthplace of Akka Mahadevi, Kannada poet of Veerashaiva Bhakti movement of the 12th century
- Yerekuppi: site of many temples and gardens
- Sri Taralabalu Jagadguru Institute of Technology, an engineering college offering technical education and professional degrees
- Ranibennur Taluka Education Society's Science, Commerce and Arts College (RTES)
- Anglo Urdu High School (Urdu medium)
- Anglo Urdu Composite Collage (anjuman-e-Islam)
- Govt Boys & girls Urdu Higher Primary School
- Sri Raja Rajeshwari Girls School / College
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar High School (Kannada medium)
- B.K.Gupta High School (Kannada medium)
- Municipal Boys High School (Kannada medium)
- Rotary English Medium School
- Lions School (Kannada medium)
- New Era Public School, Deveragudda Road, Ranebennur.
- Vivekananda Primary School
- Oxford English Medium School
- Prchina Prathimaka Shale (Sanskrit medium)
- Poorva Badavane Kannada Prathimaka Shale (Kannada medium)
- National Public School with CBSE & ICSE
- S.S.R.R.S. School (Kannada medium)
- Naganadeshwara School, Maruthi Nagar
- Om Public School (CBSE syllabus)
- K V Polytechnic Diploma College
- Rainbow Residential School(English Medium)
- Nittur Public School(CBSE)
- Al Hilal Islamic School
- Al Qalam Islamic school
- Cambridge public school(English Medium)
- Jain Public School
- Saint Lawrence English Medium School
- Bharatiya Adima Jati Sevak Sangh Arts & Commerce College for Women
- Bharatiya Adima Jati Sevak Sangh Arts, Commerce, & Homescience Pre-university College (Indiranagar)
- Devika Kannada and English Medium High School/College, Ganesh Nagar
- OM P.U SCIENCE AND COMMERCE COLLEGE
- SNEHALOKA SOCIETY'S CHINNARALOKA PRE SCHOOL,UMASHANKAR NAGAR, KOPPAD BUILDING.
- SNEHALOKA SOCIETY'S PARINITI VIDYA MANDIR(SCHOOL),NEAR SIDDAROODA MATH,
- R T E S P U arts,commerce and science College, P B Road, Ranebennur-581115
- Sri Jagajoti Basaveshwar High School, Kottureshwar Nagar, Ranebennur
- S S M V ITI College
- Sri Nandi Hospital,Behind Raj Rajeshwari School, Rajeshwari Nagar
- Sri Laxmi Surgical Truma Ortho and Multispecility Centre ( Dr.Mudri Hospital) Vinayak Nagar 3rd Cross Mob:9242215990
- Harsha Nursing Home, (Dr. N.S.Doddamani M.S) 1 st Main 1 st Cross Maruthi Nagar Ranebennur Land Line:08373263583 M.N.9844090980
- Kelgar medical centre,vinayaka nagar,near ballary kalyan mantap,Ranebennur.
- SAI hospital,PB Road,opp More super market,Ranebennur.
- Ananthreddy hospital,vinayaka nagar Ranebennur.
- Punith Nursing Home,Rajeshwari nagar,Ranebennur.
- Sujan Hospital,Ashok Nagar,Ranebennur.
- RB Patel hospital,Medleri Road,KHB Colony,Ranebennur.
- Nelogal Hospital,Ashok Nagar,Behind Bus stand Ranebennur.
- Banashankari Childrens Hospital,Near Bus stand, Ranebennur.
- Khannur childrens Hospital,Vinayaka Nagar,Ranebennur.
- Patel Maternity Hospital,Hosa nagar,Near Anjuman school,Ranebennur.
- Deshpande Hospital,Near town Police station,Ranebennur.
- S.C.Bangalore Hospital,APMC Road,Ranebennur.
- Karjagi Hospital,Station Road,Near Muncipality,Ranebennur.
- Chalgeri Hospital,ADB Road,Ranebennur.
- DR Banakar Hospital,Dodapette,Ranebennur.
- DR Ranjana Hospital,Fort,Ranebennur.
- Shakuntala Multi-Speciality hospital (Dr Shivprakash Tandi, MRCS England) ,Maruti Nagar 1st main,1st cross Ranebennur Mob:9900756562
HOTELS : Shri Ananta Residency Near Bus Stand, Bus Stand Road, Ranebennur - 581 115 Conatct No. : 08373 266281
Renuka Hotel and Lodging OPP Bus stand,PB Road Ranebennur-581115 Contact NO:08373 266988,08373 266905
Hotel Nandi,Deluxe lodge Bus stand Road, Beside Anantha Rasidency Ranebennur-581115 08373-267139
Hotel Suraj lodging and Boarding, KEB Office, PB Road, Near Ranebennur Bus stand. 08373-261751,261752