September 12, 1984 |
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
|Reach||68 in (170 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Brasília, Brazil|
|Rank||2nd degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
|Competitor for Brazil|
|ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship|
|Silver||2005 California, USA||-66 kg|
|Gold||2007 New Jersey, USA||-66 kg|
Rani Ahmad Yahya (born September 12, 1984) is a Lebanese Brazilian mixed martial artist and BJJ practitioner. Yahya won the 66 kg division of the prestigious ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship in April 2007. He currently fights in the featherweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).
World Extreme Cagefighting
Yahya was scheduled to fight Kenji Osawa on August 9, 2009 at WEC 42, but due to a foot injury suffered by Osawa, he was replaced by John Hosman. Yahya submitted Hosman with a north–south choke in the first round and earned his third consecutive Submission of the Night bonus.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Yahya was expected to face Chan Sung Jung on January 22, 2011 at UFC Fight Night 23. However, Jung was forced from the card with an injury. and replaced by Mike Brown. Yahya won the fight via unanimous decision.
Yahya faced Johnny Bedford in a bantamweight bout on April 11, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 39. The bout ended in a No Contest as an accidental clash of heads rendered Yahya unable to protect himself, forcing a referee stoppage at 0:39 of round 1.
ADCC World Submission Wrestling Championships
ADCC 2007 –65 kg: 1st Place
ADCC 2005 –65 kg: 2nd Place
ADCC 2003 –65 kg: Quarter finals.
Record of opponents:
- Won: Teemu Launis (pts), Mario Delgado (pts), Wagney Fabiano (pts), Marcio Feitosa Souza (pts), Darell Moodley (sub), Bruno 'Chavez' Frazzato (Rear Naked Choke), Baret Yoshida (pts), Leo 'Leozinho' Vieira (Rear Naked Choke), Kohei Yasumi (sub), Jeff Glover (pts)
- Lost: Leonardo Viera (pts), Leonardo Viera (pts), Rubens "Cobrinha" Charles (sub)
CBJJ World Championships
2003 Brown Belt Pena: 1st Place
2002 Purple Belt Pluma: 1st Place
1999 Pan-Ams + World
Championships and Accomplishments
- K-1 HERO'S
- 2006 K-1 HERO'S Lightweight Grand Prix Semifinalist
- TNT: Vale Tudo 2 Tournament Winner
- World Extreme Cagefighting
- Submission of the Night (2 Times)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|28 matches||19 wins||8 losses|
|NC||19–8 (1)||Johnny Bedford||No Contest (accidental headbutt)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Nelson||April 11, 2014||1||0:39||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||Bantamweight bout; No Contest due to accidental clash of heads.|
|Loss||19–8||Tom Niinimäki||Decision (split)||The Ultimate Fighter 18 Finale||November 30, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||19–7||Josh Clopton||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 163||August 3, 2013||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||18–7||Mizuto Hirota||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Silva vs. Stann||March 3, 2013||3||5:00||Saitama, Japan|
|Win||17–7||Josh Grispi||Submission (north-south choke)||UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera||August 4, 2012||1||3:15||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Loss||16–7||Chad Mendes||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 133||August 6, 2011||3||5:00||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||16–6||Mike Brown||Decision (unanimous)||UFC: Fight For The Troops 2||January 22, 2011||3||5:00||Fort Hood, Texas, United States||Return to Featherweight.|
|Loss||15–6||Takeya Mizugaki||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 48||April 24, 2010||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Loss||15–5||Joseph Benavidez||TKO (punches)||WEC 45||December 19, 2009||1||1:35||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15–4||John Hosman||Submission (north-south choke)||WEC 42||August 9, 2009||1||2:08||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||14–4||Eddie Wineland||Submission (rear-naked choke)||WEC 40||April 5, 2009||1||1:07||Chicago, Illinois, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||13–4||Yoshiro Maeda||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 36||November 5, 2008||1||3:30||Hollywood, Florida, United States||Catchweight 137lbs bout, Yahya missed weight; Submission of the Night.|
|Loss||12–4||Norifumi Yamamoto||TKO (punches and soccer kicks)||K-1 Premium 2007 Dynamite!!||December 31, 2007||2||3:11||Osaka, Japan|
|Loss||12–3||Chase Beebe||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 30||September 5, 2007||5||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For WEC Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||12–2||Mark Hominick||Submission (rear-naked choke)||WEC 28||June 3, 2007||1||1:19||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–2||Louie Moreno||Submission (guillotine choke)||PFC 2: Fast and Furious||March 22, 2007||1||0:23||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Loss||10–2||Gesias Cavalcante||Submission (guillotine choke)||Hero's 7||October 9, 2006||1||0:39||Yokohama, Japan||Hero's 2006 Lightweight Grand Prix semi-final.|
|Win||10–1||Kazuya Yasuhiro||Submission (D'Arce choke)||Hero's 6||August 5, 2006||1||1:08||Tokyo, Japan||Hero's 2006 Lightweight Grand Prix quarter-final.|
|Win||9–1||Eben Kaneshiro||Submission (Ezekiel choke)||UAGF: Kaos on Kampus||May 20, 2006||3||N/A||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Win||8–1||Ryuki Ueyama||Decision (majority)||Hero's 5||May 3, 2006||2||5:00||Tokyo, Japan||Hero's 2006 Lightweight Grand Prix opening round.|
|Win||7–1||Takumi Yano||Technical Submission (triangle choke)||MARS||February 4, 2006||3||2:14||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||6–1||Taiyo Nakahara||Submission (north-south choke)||GCM: D.O.G. 4||December 11, 2005||1||1:59||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||5–1||Fabio Alves||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||K-1 Brazil: Next Generation||October 30, 2004||1||N/A||Goias, Brazil|
|Loss||4–1||Fredson Paixao||Decision||Jungle Fight 2||May 15, 2004||3||5:00||Manaus, Brazil|
|Win||4–0||Luciano Santos||Submission (keylock)||TNT: Vale Tudo 2||April 17, 2004||N/A||N/A||Goiania, Brazil|
|Win||3–0||Muzila Muzila||Submission (armbar)||TNT: Vale Tudo 2||April 17, 2004||N/A||N/A||Goiania, Brazil|
|Win||2–0||Fabio Alves||Submission (Peruvian necktie)||TNT: Vale Tudo 2||April 17, 2004||N/A||N/A||Goiania, Brazil|
|Win||1–0||Junior Peba||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Kallifas Vale Tudo||September 14, 2002||1||1:30||Goiania, Brazil|
- Kenji Osawa out, WEC newcomer John Hosman in against Rani Yahya at WEC 42
- "Joseph Benavidez vs. Rani Yahya set for WEC 45 in December". www.mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- "Bantamweights Takeya Mizugaki and Rani Yahya meet at WEC 48 in April". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-03-12.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Rani Yahya vs. "Korean Zombie" Chan Sung Jung at UFC Fight for the Troops 2". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2010-11-05.
- ""Korean Zombie" forced out of UFC Fight Night 23; Yahya awaiting replacement". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- "Replacement Mike Brown steps in to meet Rani Yahya at UFC Fight Night 23". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-01-07.
- "Dustin Poirier vs. Rani Yahya Targeted For UFC 131". Heavy.com. February 19, 2011.
- "Chad Mendes meets Rani Yahya at UFC 133 in Philadelphia". mmajunkie.com. May 24, 2011.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 1 adds Yahya vs. Brookins". mmajunkie.com. December 14, 2011. Retrieved December 14, 2011.
- "UFC on FOX 4 gets Josh Grispi vs Rani Yahya". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved June 6, 2012.
- "Strikeforce's Hirota vs. Yahya added to UFC on FUEL TV 8". mmajunkie.com. January 5, 2013.
- "Rani Yahya vs. Josh Clopton slated for UFC 163 in Rio". mmajunkie.com. June 4, 2013.
- Riley Kontek (October 8, 2013). "Newcomer Tom Niinimaki to Face Rani Yahya at TUF 18 Finale". bleacherreport.com. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-02-10). "Rani Yahya drops to 135 pounds, meets Johnny Bedford at UFN 39 card in Abu Dhabi". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- Ben Fowlkes (2014-04-11). "UFC Fight Night 39 results: Johnny Bedford vs. Rani Yahya ends in 39-second no-contest". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-11.
- Brent Brookhouse (2014-04-11). "Johnny Bedford knocks Rani Yahya out with headbutt, loses mind at 'no contest' announcement". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-04-11.
- Staff (2014-04-21). "Rani Yahya and Johnny Bedford get rematch at UFC Fight Night 44". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- Staff (2014-05-20). "Rani Yahya está fora da luta contra ‘desafeto’ Johnny Bedford; Ultimate anuncia substituto (Brazilian Portuguese)". tatame.com.br. Retrieved 2014-05-20.
- C.J. Tuttle (2014-07-24). "Rani Yahya-Johnny Bedford Rematch Set for UFC Fight Night on Sept. 13". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-07-24.