Rann of Kutch
|Rann of Kutch
કચ્છનું મોટું રણ
Landscape in the Rann of Kutch
Rann of Kutch seasonal salt marsh ecoregion
|Country||India & Pakistan|
Rann of Kutch (Gujarati: કચ્છનું મોટું રણ Sindhi: رڻ ڪڇ) is a large area of salt marshes located in mostly in Sindh, Pakistan and the western tip of Gujarat (primarily the Kutch district), India. It is divided into two main parts; Great Rann of Kutch and Little Rann of Kutch.
The Rann of Kutch is located in the Thar Desert bio-geographic area in the Pakistani province of Sindh with some parts in Indian state of Gujarat. The area is also spread across the Sindh province in Pakistan. It is a seasonally marshy region, the word Rann meaning "salt marsh", alternating with medaks, elevated pieces of land where vegetation grows.
Kutch is the name of the district in Gujarat where this region is situated. The marsh covers a huge area of around 10,000 square miles and is positioned between the Gulf of Kutch and the mouth of the Indus River in southern Pakistan. To the northeast corner of the Rann of Kutch lies the Luni River, originating in Rajasthan.
The Rann of Kutch is the only large flooded grasslands zone in the whole Indo-Malayan region of the planet. The fact that the area has desert on one side and the sea on the other provides the Rann of Kutch with a variety of ecosystems, including mangroves and desert vegetation. The grassland and deserts of the Rann of Kutch are home to forms of wildlife that have adapted to the often harsh conditions of this vast area. These include endemic and endangered animal and plant species.
- WWF - Rann of Kutch Flooded Grasslands
- Negi, Sharad Singh (1996). [Biosphere reserves in India: land use, biodiversity and conservation Biosphere reserves in India: landuse, biodiversity and conservation]. Indus Publishing. p. 221. ISBN 9788173870439.
- Sharma, R.P. (10 Nov 2011). The Indian forester, Volume 127, Issues 7-12. University of Minnesota.
- Southern Asia: Western India into Pakistan - Ecoregions
- Global Species : Ecoregion : Rann of Kutch seasonal salt marsh
|This article about a location in the Indian state of Gujarat is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|