Rao Inderjit Singh
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
|Rao Inderjit Singh|
|Minister of State (Independent Charge)
Statistics and Programme Implementation,
Planning and Defence
26 May 2014
|Minister of State for Defence Production of India|
2006 - 2009
|Minister of State for External Affairs of India|
2004 - 2006
11 February 1950 |
Rewari, Haryana, India
|Political party||BJP (resigned from INC on 23 September 2013)|
|Children||Daughters (Two), Bharti Rao and Aarti Rao|
|Occupation||Political & Social Worker, Agriculturist, Advocate|
|As of 28 March, 2009
Rao Inderjit Singh (born 11 February 1951) is an Indian politician who is a Minister of State in the government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and a member of the 16th Lok Sabha, the lower house of the parliament of India. He represents Gurgaon in Haryana and is a member of Bhartiya Janta Party. He is a prominent leader of the Yadav community.
At the national level he has served as Cabinet Minister for the Environment, as Minister of State for External Affairs, and as Minister of State for Defence Production. Since 2009 he has Chaired the Parliamentary Information technology committee.
Rao is a son of Rao Birendra Singh the scion of the Rewari dynasty who served as a second chief minister of Haryana. Rao studied at the Lawrence School, Sanawar, and the University of Delhi, where he took an LLB degree in law.
Rao was an MLA in the Haryana assembly for four terms, beginning in 1977. From 1982 to 1987 he was a provincial Minister of State responsible for Food and civil supplies. He was elected to the Lok Sabha as a Member of Parliament in 1998, serving in the parliaments of 1998-1999, 2000–2004, and 2004–2009. From 1991 to 1996 he served as Cabinet Minister for the Environment, Forest, Medical and Technical Education, then as Minister of State for External Affairs (2004–2006) and as Minister of State for Defence Production from 2006 to 2009. Since 2009 he has Chaired the Parliamentary Information technology committee.
- Elections won
- 1998: elected to the 12th Lok Sabha from Mohindergarh
- 2004: elected to the 14th Lok Sabha from Mohindergarh
- 2009: elected to the 15th Lok Sabha from the new seat of Gurgaon, winning 2,78,516 votes in a contest with 23 other candidates.
- 2014: elected to the 16th Lok Sabha from the ticket of Bhartiya Janta Party. He resigned from Congress party & Joined BJP
Against Bhupinder Singh Hooda
Rao Inderjit Singh, who hails from South Haryana, alleged that the Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda was developing his own constituency Rohtak at the cost of other parts of the state. He presented the data procured through RTI to support his allegation: Out of a total of 5,135 announcements of schemes in Haryana, 2,045 were for the three districts of Rohtak, Jhajjar and Sonepat that comprise areas of Hooda's own constituency and that of his son Deepender Singh Hooda. Of the 3,356 completed schemes, 1,560 were from these three districts. On 23 September 2013, he resigned from Congress.
Rao Inderjit Singh was a member of the Indian shooting Team from 1990 to 2003 and won a Bronze Medal at the Commonwealth Shooting Championship. He was also a National Champion in Skeet for three consecutive years and won three gold medals in the SAF Games.
- Rao Inderjit Singh hits out at detractors
- Himachal Pradesh Residential schools: Smart learning at tribuneindia.com, accessed 11 March 2012
- R.K. Jasbir Singh (2007). "Indian defence year book". Natraj Publishers. p. 595. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- Gurgaon Constituency Result 2009 at ibnlive.in.com
- Rao Inderjit Singh’s move may give impetus to new alignments
- Rao Inderjit charges CM with bias against south Haryana
- Vadra baiter Gurgaon MP Rao Inderjeet Singh quits Congress
- Rao Inderjit Singh
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rao Inderjit Singh.|