Raphael Finkel (born 1951) is an American computer scientist and a professor at the University of Kentucky. He compiled the first version of the Jargon File. He is the author of An Operating Systems Vade Mecum, a textbook on operating systems, and Advanced Programming Language Design, an introductory book on programming paradigms. Finkel and J.L. Bentley created the data structure called the quadtree.
Finkel was born in Chicago. He entered the University of Chicago, where he earned his BA in mathematics and MA in teaching. He then earned a PhD at Stanford University under the supervision of Vinton Cerf.
- Homepage at the University of Kentucky
- The Jargon File
- An Operating Systems Vade Mecum, full 1988 edition downloadable from the author's website.
- - Advanced Programming Language Design, full 1996 downloadable edition, linked from the author's website..
- Seminar notice including biography
- Refoyls yidish veb-bletl
- Raphael Finkel at the Mathematics Genealogy Project